General Fiction posted September 4, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
flash kidnapped story

Moving Mountains

by giraffmang

Kidnapped! Contest Winner 


The rough material scratched Gil’s eyelids when he blinked. There were tiny pinpricks of light filtering in through the material in several places but not big enough to see out of. The material was firmly knotted at the base of his skull, but the vicious tasting rag shoved in his throat was the worst.

He took several deep breaths, trying to clear his head, to figure out what the hell was going on.

The sound of footsteps echoing on a wooden floor drifted to Gil. A horn sounded somewhere in the distance. A muted murmuring from somewhere nearby. A different room perhaps?

The first twinges of cramp assaulted his tethered legs. He lifted his heels off the ground as far as the bindings would allow and set them down again. It barely helped.

A door opened allowing more distinct noise to filter in from another room… laughter. It faded again as the door closed. Heavy footsteps moving in his direction.

Gil tried to work his tongue around the gag, wanting to speak but it was to no avail.

The footsteps came to a halt in front of him. The sound of coughing and a throat being cleared and then a deep gravelly voice.

“It didn’t have to be this way, you know?”

Gil cocked his head. There was something about the voice. He felt something poke him in the chest. A finger? A gun? Straining against the restraints did nothing except make Gil more uncomfortable.

A loud chuckle and then the voice again. “If you’d only just played ball. It wasn’t much to ask.”

Gil heard the door open again and the sound of laughter filled his room, accompanied by a grating sound as if something, or someone, was being dragged into the room.

Sweat broke out on Gil’s forehead, coursing down and stinging his eyes. He tried to scream but all that came out past the gag was a garbled muttering.

Another voice rang out. “It’s time.”

The heavy footsteps moved behind Gil. He scrunched his eyes closed, preparing for the worst.

And then his hands were free. For a moment he froze. Something cold stung his left palm before the blindfold was ripped from his head and the vile tasting gag pulled out.

Gil blinked taking in his surroundings. He glared at his four groomsmen standing in front of a large metal beer keg. He spun around to come face-to-face with his best man, Conor, grin splitting his in  two.

Gil shook his head. “I said no bachelor party!”

Conor held his arms out wide. “I know, I know. But… if the mountain won’t come to Muhammed…”

Gil looked down at the bottle of beer in his hand, unscrewed it, took a long swig, and smiled. “Bastards.”


 


Writing Prompt
You are challenged to write a story about a kidnapping. Maximum word count is 500 words.

Kidnapped!
Contest Winner

Recognized


The full phrase at the end being 'If the mountain won't come to Muhammed, then Muhammed must come to the mountain.'

459 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. giraffmang All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
giraffmang has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.