Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 31, 2021 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
As pressure builds, the teapot whistles

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 41

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

The clock of life was ticking loudly; its gears grated against the hands of time until they stopped. Time froze.

A train wreck of emotions engulfed the three women, each one feeling something different. The morning sun's rays mingled with the rosebuds, but an invisible gray cloud encased the women like murky seaweed.

Cassidy’s announcement that Mary was Faith’s mother echoed and bounced everywhere.

Fragile Elizabeth McKinley vaporized into the invisible cloud as venom bubbled and spewed from Liz. Her eyes were almost a smokey black as angry sparks aimed at Cassidy exploded.

“How dare you bring this woman into my home.” Liz loomed over Cassidy, bracing her shaking body on the arms of the wheelchair. Her voice was low but toxic. “You are a guest. An ungrateful one, it appears.”

Liz’s venom terrified Cassidy. Locked in the wheelchair, she leaned sideways, making a space between the two women as she struggled to explain. “But—Liz—Mary is a childhood—friend.”

Mary’s face distorted in anguish. Her trembling hands pressed against her temples. Her glazed eyes no longer focused on Liz or Cassidy as her mind slammed the door on reality. Her breath was ragged as she searched for her daughter amidst the darkness enveloping her. “Hope! Hope, please.”

Liz’s head snapped in Mary’s direction. “You’re crazy!” She screeched, “My name is Elizabeth McKinley. You and your daughter are squatters. You are nothing to me.”

Lost in oblivion, Mary’s hand stretched out toward Liz. She mumbled, “Hope. The grieving mourn of a mother fell from her lips. Hope. Please, Hope.”

Furious and confused, Liz screamed, “Get out!” She twisted herself toward the house as a ghastly cry erupted from her lungs, “Heeeeelp!” The high-pitched scream was ear-splitting.

In seconds, a flurry of activity exploded. With another agent on his heels and guns in hand, Tango raced from the front of the house. Both men charged forward, looking for an assailant or two.

Hank and Garth charged down the hallway from the home’s interior and cleared the kitchen door with their guns ready. Allie and Emmy followed in close pursuit. Reaching the women, everyone stopped.

As the adrenaline flowed, the men dashed around the rose hedge, scoured the area, looking for their target. The team resembled rolling marbles with no particular destination to go. With no visible assailant, they returned to the patio.

Allie raced to Liz’s side. Emmy knelt beside Cassidy, comforting the distraught woman. One look at Mary’s disheveled body, and Hank rushed to her side to prevent her from falling. Garth and his agents continued to check the area for something, anything.

Bewildered, Tango focused on the agitated Liz. Having met Faith last night, he was stunned by the remarkable resemblance of Liz to the woman in the cottage.

Allie attempted to wrap her arms around her friend, but Liz struggled to push her away. Her arm sliced through the air as she jabbed her finger in Mary’s direction. She was livid and snarled, “Get her off my property.”

Hank had never seen, nor could he have imagined, this crazed woman to be lurking inside the quiet, fragile Liz he knew. She was out of control. Something had snapped. “Liz, calm yourself.”

Hank’s voice triggered another series of outbursts. “Calm myself! Are all you people insane?” Her wild eyes darted from person to person. “My husband kept these women a secret. Why? What were they hiding?”

“Liz, I know you’re upset, but I think we can explain. Our investigation—”

“To hell with the investigation.” Liz spat the words at Hank. “I want all of them off my property.” Liz spun around to face Garth. “I’m through with all of this. Get everyone out of here. Now!” Delivering her demands, she stormed into the safety of her home.

Wide-eyed, Allie looked at Garth and then raced in search of her best friend. She, too, was caught off-guard by Liz’s frenzy.

Everyone stared at each other in disbelief at the unfolding events.

“Come on, Cassidy. I’ll get you settled in your room.” Emmy pushed the wheelchair back inside.

“Tango, can you get Mary inside the Jeep?” The agent nodded and moved to Hank’s side. “There’s a nurse at the cottage. Maybe she can give Mary a sedative.”

Pete, Tango’s sidekick in Poppa’s absence, followed closely behind. “I’ll help.”

“Great. Hank, it looks like you’re needed here. Pete and I will take Mary to the cottage, get her settled, and check on Faith.” Pete lifted Mary to her feet and eased her toward the Jeep.

Tango looked at his boss and Hank. “I think I saw a ghost.” Tango shook his head, “Somebody tell me they see the resemblance between Liz and Faith.”

A slight grin twisted Garth’s lips. “Not bad, agent.” He patted Tango’s shoulder. “I’ll bring you up to speed when you get back. Right now, I need to see what’s happening with Annie and the investigation.”

“Right, Boss.” Hank tossed the keys to Tango before he jogged to the other side of the vehicle. “Nice job, Pete. Let’s roll.”

The Jeep rumbled off toward the north, and the men returned to the study.

************

The morning sun blistered against the roof of the unmarked vehicle. Its occupants could feel the unwelcomed heat. Their ties hung loosely around their necks, and the jackets draped over the back of the seats. A steady stream of patrons went in and out of the local grocery and pharmacy stores for a small town—a perfect spot for hiding in plain sight.

Poppa answered his cell on the first ring. “Hey, Boss. I was about to call you. There’s movement at the church. They parked the Sweet Haven truck in the rear.

“What’s going on?”

“I can’t be sure because there’s a fence blocking the back half of the truck. I’d say they are loading something. Oh, wait! Gotta go, boss. The truck’s moving out.”

“Is Howard with you?”

”Yup.”

“Have him follow the truck. If it’s Miguel, he’ll most likely be headed to the vineyard. I want you to go visit Father Jon.”

Poppa jumped out of the SUV, and Howard took off, tailing the truck. “Okay, he’s gone. I don’t have a warrant to search, so what do you want me to do?”

“Tell him you’re canvassing the area because a little girl is missing. Maybe mention you saw the Sweet Haven truck.”

“On it, boss.” Poppa crossed the street and took the steps to the church two at a time.

***************

Poppa stopped just inside the entrance and looked around the church. He spotted Father Jon talking to a young woman outside the confessional. Poppa waited in the last pew until they finished their conversation.

Within a few minutes, the woman knelt before the altar, lowered her head in prayer, and then thanked Father Jon and said goodbye. Poppa stood in the pew so Father Jon would see him, but he waited until the woman had left before approaching the altar.

“Good day, Father.”

“Good day. How may I help you, son?” Father Jon stood near the altar as Poppa approached.

Poppa flashed his badge. “The FBI is assisting the sheriff with an investigation of a missing girl. I just thought I’d stop in and see if you might have seen anything strange going on.”

“Strange? No, I can’t say that I have. I’ve been busy in the rectory all morning.” Jon wiped the sweat from his brow and brushed his palms against his black slacks.

“Oh yeah, I saw the Sweet Haven delivery truck leaving when I was coming up to the church. You getting your wine by the truckload, Father?” Poppa laughed, waiting for a reaction from the priest.

“Oh, heavens no. Miguel brought me some clothing for the rescue mission. His mother is always so kind to us.” Jon pointed at a stack of boxes. “Her employer is very generous and provides us with a significant amount of donations.”

Poppa took note that boxes were sealed. “How kind of them. Well, I guess I better get moving so I can stop in at the other stores in the area.”

“Um, the little girl, is she from around here? Is she a runaway, or has something happened?” Father Jon picked up his bible. “I’ll say a prayer for her. What’s her name?” He forced his eyes to meet the agents. "I'll ask our Lord to watch over her and bring her safely home."

“Her name is Annie. And a prayer would be nice. Thank you.”

“Maybe I should go to the family and pray with them.”

“Why don’t I mention it to the family first, Father. They are pretty upset right now and might not want callers.” Poppa turned to leave. “Let the sheriff know if you hear anything, okay?”

“I sure will.” Father Jon watched Poppa leave the church. His soul was heavy as he knelt before the altar and offered a prayer. “Dear Father, I fall at your feet and beg for absolution for the invested waters I wade in with the man of darkness. His blackened soul hovers at my door. Like Adam, I fight to turn away from his evil, but I am weak. Please give me strength in my hour of need and wrap your arms around Annie so no harm comes to her. In the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, I beg forgiveness for what I have done.”





Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized



Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.