General Fiction posted September 7, 2021 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Let's meet the enemy.

A chapter in the book The Walkers

The Dangers of the Spirit Realm

by papa55mike




Background
Gabriel Hope leads a formidable team of Walkers and Angels through the Spirit Realm on a dangerous mission to India.

The end of Chapter 5

A devastated landscape stands before them. Dark black clouds fill the sky, very little light is allowed. Remnants of concrete house foundations dot the ground. Mangled bits of concrete hang from rebar planted deep in the earth. Blackened bricks lay scattered about the landscape. Somehow, a doll's head sits next to a cinder block. There are no roads, and only a few mailbox posts show where there was one.

Lightning suddenly pierces the clouds revealing a lone star in the sky, Heaven. The ground quakes when the platoon of Angels lands many miles away. Screams of war erupt in the distance. 

Gabriel turns to his friends. In his best, Jack Nicholson says, "Honey, I'm home!"


Chapter 6

Gabe and Michael turn to Cal and Cris, and they see the fear creeping into their eyes. Their powerful expressions start to vanish into sheepish looks.

"Guys," Gabe speaks up. "This situation is not that bad. We have an Arch-Angel walking with us, and God knows where we are."

Michael smiles, then looks to the sky. He seems to will the black clouds to part. The glory of the one star in the sky radiates streams of light upon them. "Feel the strength of God's power, flowing from above," Michael implores. "Raise your face to heaven. Let the Almighty's love flow throughout your bodies. We must never forget our mission to save those young girls from a life of slavery." Michael lifts his hands in prayer. "Oh, Father, bless Your warriors on this journey for freedom's sake. In the Saviour's name. Amen."

Gabe watches the light wash over all of them and sees the faces of Cris and Cal brighten like before. "That's one of the dangers of this place. Fear will defeat you before you take a step. I've seen so many places like this on battlefields all over the world. It's nothing new to me."

Michael wraps his arms around their shoulders. "Cal and Cris, you now know a secret that the world desperately seeks. You know there is a heaven, and God does exist."

"I'm sorry," Cal shakes her head. "I lost my focus for a moment."

"To know that heaven and God exist," Cris smiles. "Is a lot to process."

"It will give you great peace once you do, Cris," Michael answers.

"All right," Gabe rallies the troops. "We need to get to Memphis. There's a portal across the I-40 bridge into Arkansas that will take us to the California coast."

"I remember Beale Street," Cris remembers. "I almost got in trouble there once, maybe twice."

"We'll avoid that place," Michael frowns. "It has a high concentration of demons in convocation there."

"Gabe, does everything look like this?" Cal asks.

"No, it gets worse. Wait until you see the interstate and the cities."

"Oh, thanks," Cal laughs. "Something to look forward to."

Cris asks, "You saw things worse than this on the battlefield, Gabe?"

"At least the demons don't use body parts for decoration," Gabe nods. "It's all designed to promote fear."

"And when you saw those things, Gabe," Cal asks, "What did you feel?"

"Rage, it made me want to mow them down even more." Gabe smiles at his friends. "Come on; the interstate is in this direction."

The small group of warriors starts walking towards the southwest. Gabriel leads the way while searching for any movement. Michael brings up the rear, scanning the horizon.

The miles pass quickly without any sense of time, and soon they stand at the edge of I-40 near exit 76. Overturned, burnt cars line the ramp, many with busted-out windows, hoods ripped off, and other parts scattered everywhere. The clouds are thick above the concrete path, almost touching the ebony billboards. Cambions squeal in the shadows. They crave the darkness for their unspeakable acts of coitus.

"You were right, Gabe," Cal explains. "No horror movie director could have imagined this scene. Those little demons are disgusting." Cal pulls an arrow from her quiver and fires. The shaft takes out six cambions in mid-act on the hood car. Their unholy squeals quickly fade away in a red mist.

Gabe answers, "Be careful, Cal, sound carries a long way in this world."

Suddenly, Michael's hearing picks up the sound of marching. "Quickly, over here behind this bus. Do you hear them, Gabriel?"

"I do now, and it's a large platoon of Legions heading this way." The small troop slides behind the overturned bus.

The slow rhythmic pounding of steel boots against concrete grows louder. Gabe peeps over the bus to see how many. "It's at least a hundred. What are that many Legions doing here, Michael?"

"I'd say they're looking for us. But how did the Evil One know so quickly?"

"It could have been the four sentries I took out."

"That's a possibility. We'll have to wait here until the platoon passes."

Cal and Cris work their way around to have a look. They've never seen the enemy before. The heavily armed, skeletal-like creatures with tightly stretched ash-gray skin march slowly along. Their circular, blood-red armor covers their heart, and motionless red eyes peer out of helmets pulled down close. Each carries a long spear in their left hand with jagged swords lashed to their right waist. Behind the troops is the massive super demon, Asmodeus. He's at least ten feet tall and almost as wide as the bus they hide behind. His bulbous head fills a crown of many horns taken in battle from inferior demons, and his blackened red face is hideously scarred from the Master's whip. A human femur holds a black Satanic flag with a five-pointed golden star above his head. He's the general in control of Satan's North American Armies.

Cal whispers to Gabe. "Who is that?"

Gabe glances out. "That's Asmodeus, one of Satan's generals. He owes me something." He turns to Michael. "They're looking for us if he's here."

"I agree. It won't be long before they're marching this way again, Gabe."

"I say, let's control the battlefield and put some distance between them and us. If I remember right, the highway is almost clear between here and Memphis. We'll have to watch out for Familiars crossing the Loosahatchie Bridge."

Cris speaks up. "That was the Legions and a super-demon general, so who are the Familiars again?"

"The fast little demons who come out of the dried-up riverbeds, lakes, and oceans. You'll hear a Hyena-like laugh before they attack. They remind me of the Pigmy tribes from Africa, only uglier."

"Bring them on," Cal smiles.

"That's fine," Gabe smiles. "But let's get going."




The Cast of Characters.

Angelic Warriors

Gabriel Hope
At six feet, six inches tall, 295 pounds, Gabe is a 20 year veteran of the Army Rangers, and he's been walking for the Lord for 23 years.

Michael
The Arch Angel of Heaven, Prince of God, Commander of the Lord's Armies. His massive size varies on the situation. Michael has been friends with Gabe for many years after recruiting him for battles in the Spirit Realm.

Cal Cummings
At six feet, two inches tall, 200 pounds, Cal graduated from Vanderbilt University with a Master's degree in Theology. She also starred in Volleyball and is an Olympic Champion Archer. Five years ago, she was working in the mission fields of Africa when bandits killed her Mother and Father in a brutal attack. Cal barely escaped.

Cris Turner
At six feet tall, 200 pounds, Cris has a Master's degree in Criminal Science and Theology from North Carolina University. He is also an excellent shot with his Colt 45 model #1911. Cris started walking for the Lord three years ago when his wife and son were killed in a plane crash. Cris missed the flight.

The Enemy

Lucifer, Satan, or the Evil One
He is the Supreme Commander of all the demon armies and ruler of the Spirit Realm.

Beelzebub
2nd in command under Lucifer, all of the other generals report to him. He uses pride to tempt others.

Asmodeus
Commander of the North American army of demons, and he tempts others with burning desire.

Leviathon
Commander of the Western Asian army of demons, and he tempts others with heresy.

Legions
They are the slow marching skeletal soldiers in Satan's armies. Legions vary in size from five to seven feet tall. They are known for their ability to leap upon their prey and are mighty in battle.

Familiars
They are much smaller than the Legions but quick soldiers that hunt in packs. They cling to the dried-up riverbeds, oceans, lakes, and streams. Familiars carry short swords and sling-shots.

Cambions
Cambions are little demons ranging from one to two feet tall, with oversized reproductive organs. They are created in the Spirit Realm when demons mate with male or female humans while dreaming.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.