Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 29, 2021 Chapters:  ...37 38 -39- 40... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mary talks with Cassidy

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - chap 39

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
 
For a few moments, Mary and Cassidy couldn’t release each other from their hugs. Joy, sadness, fear, and wonder came in waves over each of them as they sat there, holding hands and smiling with tear-stained eyes as the years slipped away.
 
Mary laid her palm against Cassidy’s face, and in turn, Cassidy placed her hand on top of Mary’s. Both could see the visible scars time had imprinted on their faces.

Mary was the first to break the silence. “ You’re still beautiful, Cassidy.”
 
“Your eyesight must be fading. How can you not notice the deep wrinkles and my skin no longer has the copper bronze we were so proud of when we were kids.”
 
Mary couldn’t stop herself from touching Cassidy’s hair. “It’s still a rich chestnut and so thick.” A pink flush tinged Mary’s cheeks as she returned her hand to her own hair. “Mine is salt and peppered and matted from the storm.”
 
“Nonsense. Your beauty comes from inside, Mary. I doubt God would have allowed any of that to wash away. You were so kind to all of us. We had things you could only dream about, but it didn’t matter to you. You weren’t about material stuff. And your dad—” Cassidy dropped her head and stared as her hand twisted and turned a tissue. “His drinking and the preg—” Cassidy couldn’t look at Mary. She turned to study the roses as if she’d seen them for the very first time. Mary looked away as well.
 
Mary stood and walked around the patio, stopping to admire the flowers, a carved tree made into a bench, and the stonework on the side of the house. Mary returned to sit beside Cassidy. “You’re in a wheelchair. Do you mind me asking what’s wrong?”

Cassidy ran her hand over the large wheel. “There’s so much to tell you. I’m not sure where to start.” Cassidy reached for Mary’s hand. “I was in love with a man I thought loved me. I worked for him, and I learned things I shouldn’t have. They say love is blind, and for me, it certainly was.”

“Love is precious, Cassidy. I can understand you not wanting to let go. Sometimes it lives in your heart forever.” Mary’s voice trailed off; her eyes glistened.

“Even though I knew the truth, I refused to believe it. I thought he would divorce his wife, but then their housekeeper found her by the pool, murdered. She told the police I had been there and argued with the woman. Mason promised to prove my innocence, and I believed him. The man I loved was going to rescue me.” A tear trickled from the corner of Cassidy’s brown eyes. “I was innocent and a fool.”

“Oh, dear girl, how dreadful. I don’t think I could have ever managed to be in prison.”

Cassidy chuckled, “I nearly didn’t. God sent me a guardian angel. Her name is Allie. She is an investigative reporter and went undercover for the FBI. She became my cellmate. We were both stabbed.”

Mary gasped. “Stabbed. That’s crazy.”

“That’s why I am in the wheelchair. My wounds haven’t healed. It wasn’t too long ago. I’m here because they are hiding me from Mason.”
 
“Oh. Cassidy, I’m so glad you have friends to help you. Allie sounds like a keeper. Endangering her own life to protect yours.”
 
Thinking of Allie, Cassidy couldn’t help but smile. “She’s awesome in so many ways. Tell me about you, Mary. You were pregnant the last time we talked. May I ask about the baby?”

“Babies. I had twin baby girls." Mary paused. "Doris Blanchett, my English teacher, found me. I was living in a cardboard box on the streets.”
 
“Oh, Mary, I am so sorry.” Cassidy shook her head and glanced toward the sky.
 
“Don’t fret about it. God blessed me with a wonderful woman. She took me to the nuns, where I stayed until I delivered the babies. Faith was adopted when she was two days old. Hope was very sick, and the Reverend Mother told me she would probably die.”

Tears cascaded down Cassidy’s face. “You—you were alone, and we could have helped. I know I was young, but I should have tried harder.”

“Don’t worry, Cassidy.  I missed Jon. I survived by remembering the love we shared, if only for a short time. Jon was going to take the baby and me away. He promised he would give us a better life.” The lines on Mary’s face deepened. Remembering the past wasn’t easy for either of the women, “My regret was not sharing our twins’ births with Jon. They were so small and precious.”
 
Cassidy struggled to swallow the acid building in her throat. The love glowing in Mary’s eyes for her babies as she spoke of their birth was incredible.
 
That love has sustained this woman for thirty years. How do I tell her about Jon? Oh, dear Jesus, I can’t destroy her, but I must.
 
“Cassidy, don’t worry about me. I was fifteen, far too young to care for myself besides a child. I grew to love Mama Blanchett so deeply. She gave me the best care ever. I finished school and then went to college. She urged me to be an RN. Later, I was able to care for her until she passed away. Unbeknownst to me, she was quite wealthy and left it all to me.”
 
“Then why do you live hidden in a cottage in the hills?”
 
“For many reasons. When the nuns asked if I would consider a full-time job caring for a young woman and her child, I accepted so I could pay forward the help I’d received. I didn’t know all her health problems, but it didn’t matter. We had an instant bond, and I grew to love her and her daughter.”
 
“Oh, I can’t do this!” Cassidy spun the wheelchair around and toward the house.
 
“Cassidy! What’s wrong?” Confusion was written across Mary’s face. “Did I say something?”
 
The wheelchair stopped rolling, but Cassidy remained with her back to Mary. “It’s not you. It’s me.” Cassidy shuttered, and a loud sob escaped. “Please don’t hate me.”
 
Mary crossed the short distance between her and Cassidy. She knelt beside her friend. “Why would I hate you, Cassidy? You’ve done nothing to me.”
 
Cassidy grabbed Mary’s hands, overwhelmed with grief, and let the tears rack through her body. Unable to stop the salty flow, she hid behind her hands.
 
“Cassidy, please. Tell me what’s wrong. I promise I won’t hate you.”
 
The grief-stricken woman raised her head and forced herself to look into Mary’s loving eyes. ‘Don’t make a promise you can’t keep.”
 
“Nonsense.” Mary shuffled back to her chair and pulled it closer to Cassidy. “Come on. Stop your crying. Tell me what’s troubling you.”
 
“Every night, I pray for forgiveness from the Lord. I don’t deserve it, but my faith tells me he understands. I am praying he will comfort you and hold you in his arms.”
 
“Is that your worry? I have walked at the side of the Lord throughout my life, Cassidy. His love has sustained me in many ways.” Mary leaned over and hugged Cassidy. “My faith is strong. I know he is guarding over Annie, and she will be found. Quickly, I hope, but she will be safe till they do.”
 
“It’s not about Annie.” Cassidy looked Mary square in the eyes, heaved a sigh, and murmured, “I lied.” She bit her lower lip till it bled. “I’m so sorry, Mary. What my parents did, what they made me do, was so wrong." Cassidy looked at Mary. "I shouldn’t have lied to you.”


TO BE CONTINUED - CHAP 40






Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.

 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.