Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 25, 2021 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The search for Annie

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 34

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

A whirlwind of debris whipped around the yard, bashing against Annie’s fort and the shed. The trees moaned and swayed like Tahitians dancing to the thunderous beating drums. Torrents of rain pounded against the cottage walls.

Mary clung to the porch post, her screams for Annie lost in the gusts of wind.

As quickly as it had come, the angry storm slowed to drizzling rain. Mary wrapped a blanket around her shoulders and plodded across the wet grasses and puddles of mud, calling for Annie and Sebastian. Huffing and puffing, she checked the fort, behind the shed and raced as fast as possible to the forest's edge. Hindered by her soggy clothes and slippery shoes, she stumbled and fell into a mudhole.

Dripping with mud, Mary pulled herself to her knees and cried out. “Annie! Sebastian!” A terrified scream yanked her attention from the forest to the cottage. Trembling, Faith leaned against the door frame.

Mary stood, muddy water dripping from her clothes and face. Torn between searching for Annie and going to Faith, she shuffled across the wet grass and up the steps.

“Faith, you shouldn’t have come out here alone.”

“Mary, don’t worry about me. Find Annie. She’s a little girl out there all alone.”

“Sebastian is there too. He wouldn’t leave her side.” Faith put her arm around Mary’s neck and they shuffled toward the bed. “Now you have mud on your pajamas.” She helped Faith back into bed. “I’ll get a towel so you can wipe off the mud. I’ve got to find Annie.”

“Yes, go. Please don’t worry about me. Find my baby, please.”

************

Caught in the same cloud burst, Michael had sought shelter beneath the trees. He’d heard Annie’s scream for Sebastian, the dog barking, and then, like the eye of a storm, it was quiet. He listened, not knowing the direction to go. The spinning of wheels and the squealing of rubber drew his attention back toward the road, and he ran through the trees, screaming for Annie and Sebastian. Wildly dodging branches, fallen limbs, and prickly thickets, he raced blindly, searching for the little girl and her dog. In the darkness, he didn’t see the ravine until it was too late, and he stumbled and rolled over and over, striking a large boulder at the bottom. Michael cursed at his twisted leg and the pain where he’d hit his head. He tried to pull himself to a sitting position, but he screamed in pain.

Then he heard something. He listened. At first, it was a whimper, but soon it was louder. Sebastian stood at the top of the ravine, barking and wagging his tail.

“Sebastian, good boy.” Michael’s eyes explored the darkness around the dog. “Sebastian, where’s Annie? Go get Annie.” The dog barked and worked his way down the ravine and laid down. Michael hugged the dog. “I’ve never been so happy to see anyone. You’re a good boy.”

Mary worked her way deeper into the tall trees with a flashlight in hand, struggling to get through the thicket. She called for her granddaughter and her companion, “Annie! Sebastian!” The yelling had strained her voice. Her throat hurt as she continued to call out their names, praying for God to show her the way.

Sebastian lifted his head from Michael’s lap. He cocked his head and listened. Suddenly, he was tromping up the side of the ravine, barking and spinning in circles.

“Sebastian.” Tears streamed down Mary’s face as she pushed through the bushes and tree branches. Sebastian bounded toward her, almost knocking her to the ground. His hot tongue slathered her face. “Sebastian, where’s Annie? Where’s Annie?”

The St. Bernard lopped through the underbrush, stopping to allow Mary to catch up and then continuing his journey. At the edge of the ravine, he started barking and barking. Mary hurried to his side and looked down into the darkness. “Annie, is that you?”

“My name is Michael, ma’am. I’m a friend of Annie’s and Sebastian.”

“Annie’s my granddaughter. Is she with you?”

“No, I thought I heard a scream. I was searching and fell. I broke my leg when I tumbled down the hill. Sebastian found me.”

“Annie might be hurt. I have to find her.” Mary peered through the forest. “Do you have a cell phone? We need to call for help.”

“I’ve tried. There’s no reception.” Michael swallowed hard before continuing, “Ma’am, you need to go for help. I heard a car speeding away. Someone—oh, God.” Michael looked up, unable to see Mary’s face. Only the bright light from the flashlight connected him to her. “I think someone might have taken her.”

Mary’s knees buckled, and she sank to the ground, moaning. “No, no, no. Jesus, Lord in Heaven, please find my precious child. Please, I’m begging. Take my life, but give us back, Annie.”

“Ma’am, I know you’re struggling, but the quicker we notify the authorities, the better chance they will have of finding her.” 

“Yes, of course, you’re right, but how do I get you out of here, and where can I get help. I know the McKinley ranch is down the valley, but I don’t have a car.” Mary sobbed and buried her face in her hands. “Please, God, tell me what to do?”

“What’s your name?” Micheal adjusted himself and moaned as pain shot through his leg.

“I’m sorry. It’s Mary.” She stared into the darkness, bewildered and lost.

“Okay, Mary, now listen to me. I want you to go toward the road. It should be opposite of the way you came. It’s not far. When you get on the road, go to your right. It’s much shorter to get to the McKinley place.”

“What about you?”

“I’ll be fine until you send someone back. Just go so you can call for help to find Annie. Take Sebastian.” Michael closed his eyes. He hated to lose the comfort of the dog, but he knew it was the right thing to do. “Go, Sebastian. Go get help for Annie.”

“Okay. Come on, Sebastian.” She tossed her extra flashlight to Michael. “It’s not much, but maybe it will help till we get back.”

“Thanks. Now go! Hurry!”

Mary and Sebastian pressed through the trees and brush until they reached the road. She could see lights in the distance and hurried toward them, with Sebastian by her side.







Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.