Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 25, 2021 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Storms are brewing

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 33

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

Michael’s impatience built along with his irritation as he waited for Cynthia. She’d left fifteen hours ago with this stranger, and now she remained in his automobile outside her home. He’d devoted his afternoon thinking about the gold, his plight, and about Aunt Cynthia.

He heard Cynthia’s voice as she said goodnight, followed by the closing of the car door. From his spot, he watched as she turned and waved to the driver before strolling up the driveway. Her springy gait and humming told him she was in a lighthearted mood, and it didn’t match his attitude at all.

Michael waited until she stepped onto the veranda before addressing her. “Good evening, Cynthia.”

“Oooh!” Alarmed, Cynthia fell against the post railing. Her hand flew to her breast. When she recognized Michael hidden in the shadows, she snapped, “Why are you sitting in the dark? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?” 

“Just relaxing.” Michael stood and strode across the veranda toward his aunt. The moonlight danced across her face.

Michael’s surprise greeting had thrown ice water on Cynthia’s mood. “It’s been a long day. I’m going to my bedroom.”

“I thought maybe we could talk.” Michael gazed at the stars and the moon. “It’s a pleasant night.”

“We can chat over breakfast.” Cynthia reached for the screen door, but Michael pressed his hand against her arm.

“I’ve been waiting all day for you. I saw you disappear with your mystery date this morning without a word to me.”

“Nonsense. I am a grown woman, Michael. A friend invited me to breakfast, and I went. I didn’t know you thought I needed a chaperone.”

“A chaperone? No, but remembering our partnership and why I came to California might help.”

“I haven’t forgotten you or the gold.” Cynthia snarled and rubbed her temples. “I need the gold more than ever now, but Liz doesn’t appear to be ready to sell.”

“Sure, I’d love to have the gold too, but it’s not going anywhere. Give Liz a little more time. She might change her mind.” Cynthia stepped out of the moonlight and moved closer to the railing. Her fingers plucked at the honeysuckle vine, rubbing a leaf between her fingers. Michael recognized her agitated state and followed her to the other end of the veranda.

A tear trickled down Cynthia’s cheek, and she brushed it away. The minuscule show of weakness stunned him. He didn’t believe he’d seen his aunt get emotional. His tone softened. “You have a charming place, Auntie. Yes, the land is small, but your home is perfect for you. At least for now.”

“You don’t understand, Michael. I wasn’t aware until now there was a twenty-five-year balloon loan on my property. Your uncle arranged the purchase long ago, and after his death, I never gave it much mind. The bank took the mortgage money every month, and that was that.”

“So, what has changed?” Michael had heard of balloon payments.

“It’s due in three months. Without the gold, I could lose everything.”

“Maybe you could refinance.” Michael wasn’t aware his aunt’s funds were far less than she’d suggested.

“Believe me; I’ve tried. The property is wedged between two expansive vineyards. It has little value unless Liz or the Hastings are interested in expanding and purchasing it.” Cynthia turned her back so Michael couldn’t see her face. “I thought the fire—” She stopped in mid-sentence and reconsidered what she was saying. “Michael, I’m tired. I’m going to bed.”

Cynthia’s words swirled inside Michael’s head. He imagined the worst, then brushed it aside as ridiculous. Cynthia tried to move past Michael, but he stepped in front of her, determined to get some answers.

“What about the fire?” Michael stared into Cynthia’s eyes. “What do you know about the fire?”

“Nothing. I meant Liz told Mason, the man I was with today, that she wasn’t interested in selling, though she said she’d think about it. I’m afraid I don’t have the leisure of waiting.”

“You can’t force her to sell the land.” Michael turned and stared across the road at the vineyard. “When I was in New York, you painted a pretty picture. You said she’d leave and go back to the big city. No problem, you said.”

“I’m sure she would have if all these do-gooders wouldn’t have rallied around her.” Cynthia joined him near the railing. “She’s in a cocoon, unaware of real life and running a vineyard. First, Jack protected her, and now those bulldogs are everywhere.”

“Don’t begrudge her the fact she has friends.” Michael shook his head in disbelief.

“Michael, you’re young. You don’t realize I am fighting for my life.” Cynthia’s face distorted as she stared at Michael. “A fragile, milk-toast woman will not defeat me.” Her anger spilled into her words, “She needs to believe there’s a curse on the land.”

“A curse?”

“Yes, the murders, Jack’s plane crash, the fire. Terrible things happen.”

“Did you set the fire so it would scare Liz?” Michael’s eyes were wide. “Tell me it isn’t true.”

“It's irrelevant, Michael. Mason will get the land, I’m sure.” Cynthia sighed and stared across the road. “And the gold will be ours.”

Michael shook his head in disbelief. “I’m going for a walk. I need some fresh air.” He stepped off the veranda, shoving his hands in his pockets. His hunched shoulders and drooping head were heavy with confusion.

What have I gotten myself mixed up with? Cynthia makes it sound like this Mason guy will stop at nothing to get what he wants. And the gold? I don’t even know him, but I doubt he’d hand over the gold.


************

Mary relaxed on the porch in her rocking chair, knitting and watching Annie run and play with Sebastian. She was keeping a close eye on the dark clouds drifting closer.

“Annie, you and Sebastian stay close. It looks like we are going to have another storm.”

The young girl stopped and stared at the sky. Sebastian sat beside her and tipped his head up, too. “Can you see the storm clouds, Sebastian?” She ruffled the top of his head. “Mary says we need to stay close to the house. That means no chasing squirrels, okay?”

The St. Bernard barked, and Annie giggled with glee. She ran toward their fort, and Sebastian romped beside her. The young girl’s legs scrambled up the ladder, laughing and calling her dog. “Come on, Sebastian. You can do it.” She leaned out the opening. Sebastian sat at the bottom of the ladder, barking at her.

“Just try, Sebastian. I bet you can do it.” Annie lay on her stomach and dangled her arms down the ladder. “Come on, boy.”

Mary could see the storm clouds were racing across the fields. She dropped her knitting in the basket and walked to the edge of the porch. The wind had picked up, and her graying hair swirled across her face. She studied the rustling leaves on the trees and the dark clouds.

“Annie, I’ve got to give your mom her meds. The storm should be here soon. You and Sebastian better come in.” Mary glanced up at the sky once again. “Climb down from your fort, young lady. Hurry.” Mary bent and picked up her knitting bag, checked to see if Annie was getting out of her fort, and went inside to take care of Faith.

************

“I’ve got your pills and some water, Faith.” Mary bent and hugged her daughter. It had been a great day. Faith felt well enough to sit in on the sofa near the window. Mary had propped pillows around her so she could watch Annie play with Sebastian outside.

“Maybe tomorrow, you’d like to try the porch. I never tire of gazing at the scenery. It’s beautiful, and there is always a breeze.”

Faith smiled at Mary. “I think I might like to do that. Some fresh air could be just what Dr. Copeland ordered.” Faith chuckled, “Matter of fact, I believe he mentioned it a time or two.”

A bolt of lightning crackled across the sky, followed by a loud crash of thunder. Mary hurried to the screen door and yelled to Annie, “Right now, lady. Get Sebastian and get inside.”

Mary turned to Faith. “I’m going to get the lanterns and flashlights in case we lose power. Are you okay sitting there for a little longer?”

“Of course. I am feeling much better today. Maybe those new shots are helping.”

“That would be wonderful, Faith. We can pray, can’t we?” Mary’s eyes glistened with tears. “Let me get the lanterns.”

*************

As Annie raced toward the house, she called Sebastian. He was standing, facing the forest of trees. His ears were listening. Thunder rolled overhead and the big drops of rain splattered against his shiny coat.

“Sebastian, come on, boy. It’s raining.” Annie stood on the porch, calling for her dog. It was odd for him not to listen to her commands. “Sebastian, come.” The rain was pouring down, and she was frantic.

Lightning lit up the sky. Annie screamed as Sebastian disappeared into the tree line. Without thinking, Annie jumped from the porch and raced after him. “Sebastian, stop! Sebastian!”

It was darker in the forest. Annie couldn’t see her beloved friend, but she continued to call his name. The downpour matted her hair, and it clung to her face. Pushing it aside, she shielded her eyes and peered deeper into the forest, hoping to spot her dog.

“Sebastian, please, boy. Where are you?”

A man clothed in total black slid between the trees, moving closer and closer to the terrified girl.

“Sebastian.” Her tears mixed with the rain streaming down her face and onto her clothes. She shuddered and screamed, “Sebastian, I’m afraid.”

As she heard Sebastian’s bark, a gloved hand covered her mouth, and an arm wrapped around her body. Annie’s legs kicked wildly, but the man’s muscular arm locked her against his chest. Kidnapping her was child’s play for his well-trained body. His stealthy figure glided through the trees, approaching a dark vehicle. As he opened the Land Rover’s door, Sebastian lunged and knocked the man off balance. The intruder was prepared and pointed a can of pepper spray at the pup’s face, burning his eyes. Sebastian whimpered and fell to the ground, rubbing his paws against his eyes.

Having uncovered Annie’s mouth, a gurgling scream erupted from the little girl. “Sebastian.” It echoed through the forest.

Without hesitation, the man in black tossed the child into the vehicle. Taking some rope, he bound Annie’s arms together and used a scarf to gag her. He put the SUV in gear and jammed the gas pedal. The giant tires spun against the wet grass, tossing mud and debris everywhere. After a few moments, the vehicle’s traction kicked in, and the car raced across the field toward the road.






Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.