Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 24, 2021 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Allie collapses and Michael questions things

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 32

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

With all the excitement, Cassidy had transferred to the wheelchair so she could watch out the bay window in her bedroom. She was still in awe over the home’s rustic beauty and couldn’t get enough of the scenery. She was anxious to move outdoors and enjoy the autumn air, but Hank and Garth were strict about her exploring. Neither wanted her visible to anyone.

She caught a glimpse of Allie leaving the barn. She hoped to get the details of the fire from her friend. She wasn’t surprised that Allie had rushed to help. Her heart swelled whenever she thought of Allie risking her own life to protect an unknown person in prison. It had sealed their friendship forever.

As Allie reached the rose garden, Cassidy saw her stumble and disappear from view. Spinning her wheelchair around, she aimed it down the hallway, yelling. “Hank. Garth. Someone. Allie has fallen outside. She needs help.”

Liz was preparing additional sandwiches when she heard Cassidy’s cries. She dropped the slices of bread and raced outside. Kneeling, she lifted Allie’s head and rested it against her legs. “Allie. Oh, Allie, can you hear me?”

She tried to wipe some of the soot from Allie’s face. Her eyes moved down her body, checking her arms for any breaks. As Liz’s eyes reached Allie’s waistline and focused on the red stain on her tank top, Liz’s frail body produced a scream from a horror movie.

Tango and Poppa had been enjoying lunch on the front veranda, but the scream brought them barreling around the corner of the house into the rose garden.

Cassidy’s screams had brought Garth, Hank, and Emmy from their powwow in the study with the cowboy in the lead. His long strides had him at Allie’s side in an instant.

“Allie. Allie, can you hear me?” He brushed her hair back from her face. “Come on, girl, open those eyes.”

Allie’s long dark lashes fluttered open and closed before finally exposing her emerald green eyes. She gazed at Garth and murmured, “My cowboy to the rescue.” Her eyes closed, and she drifted back into the darkness.

Garth scooped Allie into his arms, resting her head against his chest, and carried her inside to the bedroom. Emmy yanked back the comforter and allowed Garth to settle her on the sheets.

“She’s bleeding.” He gently lifted her tank top and examined the wound. “Looks like we need a doctor. Can someone find some gauze so I can stop the bleeding?” Garth glanced at the girls and Tango.

“Boss, if it’s the stitches, I can do it. Did it in the field a few times.” Tango stepped forward and peered over Garth's shoulder. "Looks like it's just the surface stitches."

“What do you need?” Emmy asked.

Emmy returned with a first aid kit, gauze, and a bottle of water. “Is there anything here that will help, Tango?”

He checked the first aid kit. “Wow! There’s even a stitch kit here with needle and thread.” He pressed a square of the gauze against the wound, and Allie moaned.

Allie’s eyes squinted at Tango. “I need to talk to Garth or Hank.”

Garth stood behind Tango, and he moved closer to the bed. “It will wait, Allie. He needs to stitch you up first.”

She lifted her head, but the pain shot through her, and she fell back on the pillow, moaning. “Tango, don’t touch me. Not unless he listens.”

“You are the stubbornest woman I know. What’s so important it won’t wait?”

“I found drugs-- in the wine barrels.”

“What?

“Someone’s smuggling drugs.” Allie gasped and then continued, “The barrels have false bottoms.”

“Poppa, take a few guys and check it out.”

“I hid some packets,” Allie whispers, “Under the wheelbarrow.”

“Okay, Allie. I don’t want to hold this gauze forever. My hand might decide to grow there.”

“Not in this life, Tango.” Allie made a face at him.

“Okay, then let’s get this done. Liz, we need a glass of whiskey. Emily, a bottle of water, some rubbing alcohol, and towels.”

“Whiskey? You’re going to drink before you stitch me up?”

“Oh, no. It’s for you. It is going to hurt because I have no way to numb it. You’ll drink the whiskey, bite down on the towel, and don’t slug me.”

Garth moved to the other side of the bed and sat beside Allie. “I’ll hold her hands.” He smiled. “Is that okay with you?”

Allie smiled and nodded. Her eyes were glued to the cowboy’s face.

 ***********

 

Darryl was in his office as Poppa and two other agents walked through the barn and directly outside. Poppa stopped at the trailer, and the agents moved to the wheelbarrow. One bent and retrieved the bags of powder.

Darryl left his office and followed them. “What’s going on?”

The agent handed Poppa one of the bags. “That’s what I was going to ask you. These barrels are filled with drugs.” He tossed one in his hand.

“What? How could there be drugs in the same barrel we fill with wine? It’s impossible.”

 Poppa tipped the barrel over. “It has a false bottom. And there’s powder residue in the trailer.”

“First the fire and now drugs. I don’t know what’s going on, but it has nothing to do with me.” Darryl spun around to leave but stopped. “I would never do anything like that to Jack or Liz. You guys are crazy.” He shoved past the second agent, but Poppa grabbed his arm.

Poppa tossed a pair of handcuffs to the agent. “Put the cuffs on him.”

Hank joined them as the agent approached Darryl with the cuffs. “Hold on a minute. Give him a chance. If this is what got Jack killed, I want to know the full story. Let’s sit and talk this out. Starting with the barrels.”

“I don’t know. How would anyone else get the drugs into this place? Even if he didn’t do it, He had to know about it.” Poppa wanted to make the arrest and be done with it.

“Why would I start a fire and destroy my own drugs? I would have had to know they’d be discovered, wouldn’t I?”

“Makes sense. Maybe we are dealing with two separate things, the fire and the drugs.”

“Okay, start talking from the beginning. Where do these barrels come from, and how do they get here?”

*************

 

A half-empty bottle of whiskey, some grapes, and a block of cheese sat on the small wooden table. Michael moved his chair into the shadows, blocking anyone’s view of him. From the moment he’d seen Cynthia drive away with a stranger that morning, crazy thoughts crammed his mind. Even though he’d tried her cell many times, she hadn’t responded.

Now, over fifteen hours later, he reminded himself of the events leading him to this moment.

Less than a year ago, he’d paid $500 for a seventy-five-hour online crash course to become a real estate agent. After passing the final exam with flying colors, he used his charismatic personality to convince others he was a millionaire with an entrepreneurial attitude. An up-and-coming brokerage firm in New York jumped at the chance to hire him as a junior executive trainee in land development. His “fairy tale” future blinded reality.

Michael’s life was perfect for a young, energetic trainee living on an expense account and an impressive salary. He loved hitting the clubs and the New York beauties fawning over him. Yet, he recognized his lifestyle would fade and disappear if he couldn’t become the successful entrepreneur he portrayed.

During his weekly phone calls with Cynthia, he couldn’t resist boasting about his private life and the enormous potential his employers promised he could obtain. His desire to live the dream became his reality; he failed to tell her it was all a ruse.

It was then Cynthia suggested he come to California on vacation. He’d never been out west, the land of plenty, she said.

She enticed him with gold and a treasure map she’d discovered while researching at the library. With his expertise in real estate, they could purchase the land from Liz and mine the gold. Her property value would escalate in value, and they could sell it all to a land developer. He would have to leave her name out of the purchase and say his New York company was interested.

Knowing Liz’s love of the city life and how fragile she was without Jack, Cynthia believed her plan was foolproof. When Liz deferred, having decided to remain at the winery to fulfill her husband’s dreams, Cynthia became quite agitated and began keeping mysterious meetings and rendezvous. On more than one occasion, she’d dismissed his questions and ideas.

For the first time in a long time, as the quiet night settled around him, he saw Cynthia’s plan in a different light. He’d wanted to discover the gold, but not at Liz’s expense. He didn’t consider himself heartless.

He watched the approaching headlights and hoped it was his aunt. He wanted, no needed, information but wondered if she would answer him. As his heart raced, he waited for her in the dark.






Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.