Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 23, 2021 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Allie discovers a secret in the fire

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 31

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

“Emmy, do you mind staying with Liz and Cassidy?” Allie stared down the driveway as Mason left. “I don’t trust that guy.”

 “Sure, Hank wants me to look through Jack’s files, anyway.” Emmy looked toward the barn. “They might be busy for a while.”

 “Didn’t take him long to put you to work, did it?” Allie hugged Liz. “I’m going to see if I can help with the clean-up, okay?” Liz nodded. Her sad eyes glistened with tears. The fire had shaken her terribly.

 Emmy put her arm around Liz’s trembling shoulders. “We’ll be fine, Allie.”

 “Call Hank or me if Caldwell comes back.”

 “I will. I promise.” Emmy walked Liz toward the kitchen door. “First, I’m going to make us some breakfast. You need some meat on your bones, girlfriend.”

 

 **********

 

Tango knelt on the floor, studying the charred electrical box. “It’s wired wrong. It shorted out.”

 “A poor job of wiring, and it caused an electrical spark.” Garth peered over Tango’s shoulder. “Just a sloppy accident.”

 “You’re wrong.” Darryl admonished Garth. “I did the wiring. Jack sent me to classes. He wouldn’t have let me wire this barn if he hadn’t thought I could do it right. Besides, we had it fully inspected."

 “Whoa! No need to get angry. We all make mistakes.” Garth studied Darryl, “I didn’t mean to offend you. Things happen.”

 “I didn’t make a mistake. Where’s the wire nuts? Who removed them?” Darryl squatted beside Tango. “I always used wire nuts. It wouldn't have passed inspection."

 Tango stood. “Calm down, Darryl. I’m not the fire marshal, but I don’t believe the fire started here. Someone wanted us to think it did, but the flashpoint is near the trash barrels. My nose tells me there’s been accelerant poured on the trash and it splashed on multiple wine barrels too.

 “Someone was here. I remember seeing the atrium door unlocked and standing open when I first rushed inside. I know I would never have done that.”

Allie joined the men. “Wow, a lot of damage, but not nearly as much as it could have been.” She looked at the walls and the burnt barrels. “You jumped on it, Darryl. Jack would be proud of you.”

 “I don’t know. We could have lost everything.” Darryl kicked a piece of burnt wood from one of the barrels.

 “What happened?” Allie wrapped her arm around Darryl’s shoulder. “You know it’s not your fault.”

 “Tango thinks it was arson. Someone came in and opened the atrium door, messed with the wiring, and started a fire in the trash.”

 “Arson? Liz will freak.”  Allie automatically looked in the direction of the house. “She can’t handle much more.”

 “So, we don’t tell her until we know the facts for sure. I would have been working in here if that Mason dude hadn’t shown up this morning.”

 “Mason Caldwell was here this morning?” Garth hadn’t thought an early morning sentinel was necessary. “What did he want so early?”

 “Said he was on his way to a meeting and returned Liz’s towel. She invited him into the house for coffee.”

 “So, he was with Liz when the fire started? Guess that eliminates him as our arsonist?” Garth turned and stared at the charred walls.

 “Unless he was a distraction,” Hank added. “He’d never do the dirty work.”

 “Speaking of dirty work, I am going to clear the burnt barrels and stuff out of here. Is that okay?” Allie gave Darryl one last squeeze.

 “Thanks, Allie. There’s a trailer sitting behind the atrium. We can toss the stuff in there, and I’ll dispose of it later. I’ll get some guys to pitch in and help you.”

 *************

 Allie wiped her brow on a towel she’d claimed from inside the winery. The acrid smell of charred wood stung the inside of her nose and her eyes. She wrinkled her nose as she dug in her pocket for a tissue. A pain shot through her side, and she leaned against the trailer.

 “Are you okay?” A worker tossed an armful of burnt wood into the trailer. “I can get you some water.”

 “Pulled a muscle, I guess.” Allie managed a crooked smile. “A bottle of water would be great.”

 While he retreated inside for the water, Allie lifted her shirt to examine the healing knife wound. The gauze was in place, and there was no sign of blood.

 “Here’s your water, miss. You should rest.” He smiled. “There are only a few burnt barrels left.”

 “Thank you for the water.” She twisted off the cap and tipped the bottle to her lips. She hadn’t realized how parched her throat was until the cool, refreshing water slid down her throat. “Oh, man, that feels good.” She massaged her throat and then realized soot covered her hands. She shrugged her shoulders and laughed. “No beauty pageants for me today.”

 The man laughed and then returned inside to gather some more of the debris. The blazing sun sizzled against the metal staves, barrel hoops, and the scorched wood. The odor was nauseating. Pressed against the building, Allie claimed what shade the overhang provided.

 The morning’s rush of adrenalin was gone, and she was exhausted. It was time for a shower.

 She waited as a man heaved a scorched barrel over his head into the pile of debris. It crashed against the side of the trailer, splintering. A small puff of white smoke drifted in the air. Allie wiped the sweat from her face and squinted. It reminded her of a picture she’d seen of Hiroshima, a miniature bomb.

 Curious, Allie moved toward the trailer for a better look. A second man struggling with his barrel pitched it in front of her. He mumbled an apology, but Allie’s focus was on the white cloud spewing from the broken wood. A trail of powder sifted through the cracks.

 She tried to reach over the side, but her arms weren’t long enough. Her investigative juices were flowing, and she desperately wanted to examine the powder. The man who had brought her the water exited the building with a barrel.

 As he came closer, Allie dug deep down for her best charming smile. “Oh, before you toss the barrel, do you think I could sit on it for a few moments? My legs are feeling weak.” She wobbled, and her hand grabbed the side of the trailer.

 “Should I get you help? More water?” He seemed eager to assist her, unaware that Allie only wanted his barrel.

 “No! No! I want to rest a moment, that’s all. Then I’ll go back to the house.” 

 He pointed to a tree about twenty feet away. “You need shade. The sun is hot. Come, I’ll put the barrel under the tree.”

 “Oh, that will be great. Thank you.” Allie followed him as he carried it away from the trailer.

 “Darryl has told us to take lunch. Are you sure you will be okay by yourself? I can get you help.”

 “It’s not necessary. I’ll be fine.” He nodded and headed back inside. Allie called out another “Thank you,” but her mind was on the barrel and what might be hiding inside.

**************

 

Assured she was alone, she tried to pry the bottom of the barrel, but it wasn’t loose enough. Allie hurried to the trailer in search of something to help her break the barrel. The first piece of metal she touched was still hot, and she dropped it. She moved to the other end and found thicker pieces of wood. Tossing a few broken boards to the side, Allie pulled out the stave. It just might work!

 Returning to the shade, she brushed her hair from her face and began wiggling the stave up and down, widening the crack. It took several tries, but soon she could see the bottom separating from the rest of the barrel. A few more attempts and success would be hers.

 The bottom fell away. Allie’s mouth dropped open. She couldn’t comprehend what five or six small bags of white powder were doing inside a Sweet Haven wine barrel. Someone had built a false bottom and hidden the bags. That individual was smuggling drugs with the wine shipments.

 Her thoughts spiraled in every direction.

 Oh, Jack, is this why you died? Your brother died from an overdose. I know you wouldn’t be smuggling drugs. But who?

 Darryl? He went to prison for being involved with drugs. Was he involved?

 Allie shook her head, refusing to accept it.

 Darryl would never murder Jack. Someone is putting the drugs inside the barrels, but who?

 She needed to tell Hank and Garth what she’d discovered. She couldn’t leave the drugs here in the open, but she couldn’t carry them through the barn either. She needed to hide them.

 A wheelbarrow lay upside down near another shed. She gathered up the bags, checking to see if anyone was around. She quickly slid them under the wheelbarrow. It wasn’t the best spot, but it would have to suffice for now.

 With her last bit of strength, Allie rolled the barrel closer to the trailer. She hurried back to get the loose pieces and tossed them into the trailer. A stabbing pain shot through her side, and she doubled over against the trailer.

 “Everything okay, Allie?”

 Allie jumped at the sound of Darryl’s voice. “What?

 “I asked if you were okay. You’re not looking too good.”

 “I’m just tired. I’ll feel better after a shower. I’ve had enough fun for the day.” She stretched her back, glanced toward her hidden stash, and walked toward the barn. “Are Hank and Garth still here?”

 “No, Hank was hungry, so they headed for the house. Why? Did you need something?”

 Allie gritted her teeth, but it was impossible to hide her pain. “I think I overdid it.” She wrapped her arm around her midsection. “I better head for the house too.”

“You want me to help you?”  

Allie could see by Darryl’s face he was concerned, but she wasn’t trusting anyone at the moment. “Naw, I can make it. You’ve got enough on your hands at the moment.
 

 Pain seared through Allie’s body, but pure determination kept her feet moving one in front of the other until she reached the courtyard. She stumbled and collapsed on the patio bricks. She inhaled the scent of roses as she slipped into darkness.













Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.