Supernatural Fiction posted August 22, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
fomented frustration

Lucy Furr

by pome lover



 
Lucy shook her head. What a disappointment Allen was turning out to be.

Sometimes, though, he was really intuitive, picking up on her moods, understanding and kind—a real softie. But that was the problem; he was too soft. She knew she was the stronger of the two and it wasn’t working. She needed someone powerful. Not overpowering but… manly!

One day, frustrated over his steady demeaner, she blurted, “Oh, why can’t you be… "His smile immediately disappeared and he’d looked so hurt, she apologized and gave him an exuberant smack on the lips.

 
Allen sat in his office with mixed feelings. Lucy’s ups and downs were getting to him. When she used to get riled up, he’d try to joke her out of it, but not lately. She was so mercurial; one minute happy, the next, furious over something, usually something he had or hadn’t done. He felt like a yo-yo.

Sometimes they would be having a good time together and boom, he’d be blind-sided with accusations of one kind or another. He loved her, but she was fast destroying it. He sure couldn’t say he was happy anymore.

He'd been thinking he’d better take back the offer he’d made her. He could make a similar one later, if things ever got back where they used to be, which seemed doubtful.

“Sis? Hi. You have time for lunch today? I know it’s short notice, but I really need your lawyer’s advice. Well, because it’s complicated and I’d rather talk to you in person. It shouldn’t take long. Ok? Great. How ’bout Cally’s? 12:30? Good. See you then, and thanks a million!”

 
Lucy was angry with herself, so naturally, she blamed Allen. She had belatedly realized that he might not let her be part of the real estate deal he’d told her about. He’d said her share would be hefty if it went through. She should’ve kept her big mouth shut until the client signed the dotted line, but she’d been so put out with him, she’d vented her disappointment. She’d better do something about it, quick!

“Hello, Mrs. Pritchard? Hi, this is Lucy Furr. Allen Williams asked me to call you regarding the estate in The Pines that you’re interested in. Yes, well, he’s had a personal matter come up, unexpectedly … Yes, it looks like he’ll be tied up for a good long while. No, he had to leave town immediately, and… yes, it was. Well, he asked me  if I’d take over for him. Yes, I’ll tell him you said that. He’ll appreciate it. Now, I wondered if sometime today would be possible to go have a look? This morning? Terrific. What time would be best for you? Perfect. I’ll see you there shortly.

“And the coup de gras, Mrs. Pritchard…certainly, Anne… is the master bedroom suite with the adjoining workout room—fully equipped. Actually, I think there are two coups, ha ha ha, the office overlooking the garden in back is… Yes, you’re right—one big coup—the whole place! Right. Well, as you know, the owners are asking… you have? You will? Today? Terrific!”

Lucifer smiled. Allen would be devastated.
 
 
 
 




Disguised writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story where one of the characters is in a disguise.


I believe her disguise is obvious.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.