Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 17, 2021 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's a lot of information to swallow...

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 26

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Darryl maneuvered the forklift closer to the row of empty barrels. He lifted one and placed it on the top metal rack. He bent over and picked up another one as the winery door opened.
 
“Give me a minute. I’ll be right with you.” Darryl continued to unload the remaining wine barrel, and then he lowered the lift. As he stepped down from the forklift, he took a moment to study his visitors. He crossed the barn floor, closing the distance between him and the two men standing near the doorway.
 
“I didn’t expect you to bring company.” Darryl extended his hand to Hank, and they shook. “Tipping his head toward the other visitor, he asked, “Who’s this? You got a bodyguard too?”
 
“Nope, this is Garth Woodhouse. In town, he’s known as Jeremy Dalton. He’s an undercover FBI agent.”
 
“FBI?” Darryl’s lip curled in disgust.  “Jack said I could trust you, Hank. Why are you bringing an FBI agent here?” He turned and walked back to the forklift. “Cuz I’ve got a record, you going to start pointing fingers at me? Some friend you are.” He climbed onto the forklift and started the engine.
 
“Hold on, Darryl. You’ve got it all wrong.” Hank followed Darryl and stepped onto the forklift runner.
 
Garth moved a few steps closer. “I’m not accusing you of anything.”
 
“I served my time. I’m clean,” Darryl snarled. “The Cranstons gave me an education, and Jack gave me….” Darryl tipped his head and surveyed the winery. “He gave me opportunities I could never have dreamed possible.”
 
“I understand. I’m here as a friend. I know about your past, and that’s exactly how I look at it. It’s your past. Jack trusted you, and I will too unless you give me a reason to think otherwise.”
 
Darryl stared at Garth for a moment and then shut the forklift engine off. He climbed off the machine, glanced at Hank, and walked toward Garth. “Hi. I’m Darryl. A friend of this guy.” He cocked his thumb in Hank’s direction. “Sorry about the chip on my shoulder.” He extended his hand toward Garth, “Nice to meet you.”
 
“Same here.” Garth clasped Darryl's hand in his, and they shared a firm handshake.
 
Hank was eager to discover why Darryl had called. “Okay, your call seemed urgent. What’s up?”
 
“Give me a sec.” Darryl walked into his office, grabbed the coffee pot and three mugs from the side table. From the doorway, he yelled, “Black okay, or does anyone need cream and sugar?”
 
“Black’s fine for both of us,” Hank answered.
 
Darryl returned with the coffee pot and mugs. “Hank, can you slide the barn door open. I’ve got a table and chairs out there.”
 
Hank did as asked and then stood staring in amazement at the atrium. “Wow! It’s amazing. Is Liz aware of this?”
 
“Nope. It’s not finished, but it’s Jack’s dream and a gift for Liz.” Darryl smiled. “I’ve been working on it day and night, trying to get it done.”
 
“You’ve done a fine job. Jack would be proud.” Hank settled in one of the chairs. “But I don’t think this is why you called me.”
 
Darryl sighed and set the coffee on the table. “When Jack discovered his life was in danger, he started sharing things with me. I wasn’t sure who I could trust, so I kept my mouth shut. I think it’s about time I share a few things with you.”
 
“We’re listening.” Hank stared at Darryl. “Jack trusted you to do the right thing. Lay it on us.” He poured the black brew into his mug and then filled the other two.
 
“Jack only had pieces of the puzzle. He felt that the Cranston deaths hinged on Ted Cranston publicly accusing Mason Caldwell of dealing drugs. He believed that was what Cranston was mad about in the picture. Mason wanted the farm, and Ted wouldn’t sell. He thought it was his after the Cranstons' deaths. When the estate accepted Jack’s bid, Caldwell was furious.

“On the night Jack’s plane crashed, someone told Liz Jack had an affair. She confronted him out there in the barn. She didn’t know I was in the storage room. She was furious and wouldn’t listen to anything Jack tried to say. I am sure she blames herself for his death."
 
“I loved Jack, but things happen. Did he have an affair? Is that why he never told anyone about the woman and child living in the cottage?” Hank closed his eyes and waited for Darryl's answer.
 
“No, of course not. Though I am sure Liz probably believes it.”
 
“Then why the secret? Who is this woman? I never saw her or the child when I delivered those boxes for Liz.”
 
Darryl reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. “Jack requested a DNA test before he died. For confidential reasons, he had it sent to me. I’ve been carrying it around for a few weeks, trying to figure out what to do with it.”
 
“Whose DNA? The little girl’s test? Are you saying the little girl is Jack’s?” Hank’s face was turning red. “Let me see that test. There’s a mistake. Jack would never have cheated on Liz.” Hank stood, sending his chair sailing backward. “I’m telling you it’s not true.”
 
“You’re right, Hank. It’s not true. Annie is not Jack’s daughter. Her father died in Afghanistan.”
 
“Then whose test is it? Why would he run a test on the woman? Was he trying to find her family? Why didn’t she do it herself?” Hank paced back and forth.
 
Garth decided to intervene and stop Hank’s rant. “Hank, why don’t you sit down and let Darryl tell you about the test. You’re ranting, and raving isn’t getting us anywhere. You're going to have another heart attack."
 
“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just spit it out. Why did Jack run a DNA test of the woman?” Hank returned to his seat, took a bottle of pills from his pocket, and dropped two into his hand. He popped them into his mouth and swallowed some coffee.
 
Darryl took a deep breath and expelled it, waiting for Hank to gain control. “He ran two tests, Hank. One on Faith and the other one on the woman he believed to be her sister.”
 
“Did my do-gooder friend think someone was trying to claim the woman’s inheritance or something?” Hank shook his head in disbelief. "Always looking out for someone."
 
“After meeting Faith, Jack wanted to confirm that… that Liz was her twin sister.”
 
“Liz!" Hank bellowed.  "I knew she was adopted when she was seven or eight, but I never heard of a twin sister. Is this woman trying to get Liz’s money?”

“No, she knows nothing about Liz. Jack knew that Liz would be very emotional if she discovered she had any living family. He wanted to be positive, especially because Faith is dying. She has cancer.”
 
Garth dropped his head and then looked away. His watery eyes filled with pain. “Of course, he’d want to save Liz the torture if she wasn’t her sister. I understand where Jack was coming from with that thought.” He looked at Darryl’s confused expression. “A year ago, my wife lost her battle with cancer. The anguish was unbearable.”
 
“I feel like a thunderbolt struck me." Hank put his hand on his chest. "Got any more good news to drop on us today?”
 
“Unfortunately, I do.” Darryl grimaced.
 
“Then you better crack open one of those bottles of wine. Coffee just isn’t doing it for me.” Hank swallowed the last of the cold brew. “I need some air before the next round.” He opened the atrium door and walked into the garden. Garth followed his friend.
 
“Guess I’ll get the wine and a bottle from Jack’s private stock. I think they’re going to need the hard stuff.” Relief washed over Darryl. He no longer had to carry the secret alone, but he wondered how they would tell Liz the truth.










Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.
 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.