Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 14, 2021 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Annie and Sebastian make a discovery

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chapter 23

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

“Emmy, it’s a tough situation. I can’t just walk away and leave Liz.” Hank ran his fingers through his hair. He understood his wife’s frustrations, but he had a job to do, not just any job either.

 

“I know, Hank. I didn’t mean to pressure you. I miss you. You’ve never been away from home this long.” A tear slipped from the corner of Emmy’s eye. She sniffed and wiped it away with the back of her hand. Her voice lowered. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to nag.”

 

“Oh, Emmy, you’re not nagging. I love you and miss you too.” Hank walked to the study window and looked across the vineyards. The view was breathtaking as the sun ventured higher in the sky. The golden ball presented its own rainbow of yellows, pinks, magentas, purples, and blues. Hank longed to wrap his arms around his wife. “Emmy, why don’t you pack a suitcase and come for a few days. Liz has plenty of room, and she might welcome the distraction.”

 

“I’d love to come, but that’s a long drive.” Emmy sighed. “I’m no spring chicken anymore.”

 

“Then fly, Emmy. It’s not like we can’t afford it.” A huge grin replaced Hank’s scowl. “Come on, Emmy. Say you’ll come.”

 

“Only if you check with Liz first. She’s got a lot going on right now, and I don’t want to add to it.” 

 

“Great! I’ll talk to her this morning. I love you, Emmy.” He hadn’t realized how much he’d missed her. He felt like a schoolboy with his first crush. “Babe, Garth’s pulling into the driveway, so I better let you go. I’ll call you later this afternoon. Bye.” He started to disconnect the call and then quickly called her name, “Emmy… Emmy... I can’t wait to hold you in my arms.” He could hear Garth in the hallway calling his name. “In the study.” 

He turned back to the phone and lowered his voice. “Maybe pack that black sexy teddy. On second thought, don’t bother. You look better in nothing at all.” His eyes sparkled, and a warm smile crossed his lips.

 

“Good morning, Hank.” Garth strolled into the study and stopped when he saw Hank was on the phone.

 

Hank waved and raised his index finger to indicate one minute. “Emmy, keep that thought, but Garth’s standing here and a threesome wasn’t what I had in mind.” Laughing, he ended the conversation. “Love you. Talk to you later.”

 

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt your conversation. How’s Emmy?”

 

“I might have convinced her to come for a few days. At least, I certainly gave it my best shot.” Hank laughed and then added, “So, anything new?”

 

“I talked to Tango earlier, but forensics hadn’t gotten back to him yet.” 

 

“What about the basket? Liz says she didn’t order it.”

 

“The flower shop says Liz is a frequent customer, and they keep her credit card on file. The clerk remembers a woman placing the order.”

 

“Garth, first Jack and now Liz. You aren’t seriously considering Liz as a suspect, are you?” A scowl replaced Hank’s smile. “That’s utter nonsense!”

 

“Hank, I am doing my job. I follow the leads, and unfortunately, a few of them point to Liz. I am sure it’s nothing, but you, of all people, should understand.”

 

“You’re right! And it’s the part of the job I hate. Questioning the innocent.”

 

“The owner is a guy named Terry Jacobs. A few years ago, he had a run-in with the law. Tango is checking it out now. Hopefully, he turns up something there.” 

 

“There’s a coffee thermos on the side table. Help yourself.”

 

Garth loved his coffee. Once Hank offered, he didn’t hesitate to pour him a cup. “Where are the girls?”

 

“What girls?” A big grin returned to Hank’s jovial face, and Garth chuckled at Hank’s humor. “They’ve decided to set up residence in the far guest bedrooms. Less chance of being heard if someone like Cynthia drops by.”

 

“Speaking of the woman, I thought I might have seen her talking to Darryl when I arrived. They were in the vineyard, so I wasn’t sure, but I thought I recognized that straw hat she wears.”

 

“Odd! Think she’s got a thing for Darryl or something? She sure hangs out around the winery a lot.”

 

“Darryl said her nephew likes to walk the trails.” Garth poured another cup of coffee. “You need a warm-up, Hank?”

 

“No, I’m good.” He walked to the window, squinting in the sunlight. “There’s something about that woman and her nephew. I can’t put my finger on it, but it makes me uneasy."



 

**********

 

The cool morning breeze turned to a scorching day as the sun climbed towards its zenith. In the distance, scattered clouds, ominous and dark, drifted over the mountain tops. Michael’s gold-panning equipment lay strewn across the rushing stream’s muddy bank. Mounds of sludge, evidence of days of panning, dotted the area like giant mud dauber hives.

 

Sweat dripped from Michael’s dirt-stained face as he studied the precious pages of his latest read, “Fists Full of Gold.” Two more books were on the ground by his side, “Gold Panning 101” and “Hidden Streams of Gold.” Hidden by the forest of tall pines, Michael had spent hours digging, sifting, and straining the black silt. Upstream, the water rushed against boulders of all sizes, and then it slowly meandered toward the lake. Following the book’s guidelines, he’d chosen several bends in the stream to pan for gold.

 

Michael wiped his hands on his pant legs and flipped the page. His adrenaline was building as he rolled the small quartz stone in his hand, examining the shiny section. Bright yellow flakes floated on the top of the muddy water in his pan. 

 

“It’s gold! I’ve found gold.” Michael grabbed his garden shovel, another pan and sieve and rushed back to the stream. He scooped a few heaps of black sand into his sieve and shook it back and forth. Disappointed, he dumped it and tried again. On his fourth attempt, a few flakes floated to the surface. 

 

Michael was giddy with excitement. “It’s gold!”

 

“Oh, that’s pretty. How’d you find it, mister?” 

Startled, Michael fell backward onto the mud bank, losing his waterproof wader in the stream. He scrambled on his knees to catch it before the current washed it away. The young pup, Sebastian, decided Michael’s thrashing appeared to be fun, and he rushed into the water, splashing and jumping.

 

Amused, Annie doubled over with laughter at the hilarious sight of the stranger and Sebastian. 

 

“Call off your mangy mutt!” Michael screamed. Clutching his boot, he struggled to stand while Sebastian tried to lick his face. With little success, Michael grappled to free himself from the wet, one-hundred pound St. Bernard. “Get him off me!”

 

As Michael’s temper flared, Annie’s laughter faded. “Sebastian, stop.” Michael slipped and fell back into the stream. “Sebastian, come here.”

 

Sebastian playfully bounded from the stream, his heavy coat dripping with mud and water. Once on land, he shook his large body, sending dirt, water, and bits of debris flying in every direction. Laughter exploded from Annie’s lips, followed by a string of cursing from Michael as he stumbled out of the water, sprawling across the grass.

 

A towel hung from a tree branch. Jumping in the air, Annie snagged it and pulled it down. “Here, mister. You can wipe your face.”

 

“Didn’t your mama teach you it wasn’t nice to sneak up on people? Especially with that wild dog of yours.” Michael growled.

“He could have killed me.”

 

A frown replaced Annie’s smile. “Sebastian’s not a wild dog. He’s a puppy. He was playing with you.” Annie squatted beside Sebastian and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Besides, we live here.”

 

“I’ve never seen you. Where do you live?” Michael’s curiosity was piqued. 

 

“In the cottage on the other side of the pines.” Annie bent over and looked at the flakes in the panning bowl. “Those are pretty. What are they?”

 

“It’s nothing! Just some tiny rocks, that’s all.” Thoughts of her running home and telling everyone whirled around Michael’s mind. He couldn’t let that happen. It might not be much, but it was his gold.

 

“Rocks don’t float!” Annie moved closer. “You’ve found a treasure. I want to do it too.” 

 

“Okay, I’ll show you, but only if you promise me, you won’t tell anyone else. Do you promise?”

 

“Oh, yes.” Annie stuck out her little finger. “Here, we’ll pinky swear that it’s our secret.” He curled his big finger around her tiny one and squeezed. “Promise.”

 

“Promise.” Michael smiled for the first time. “My name’s Michael. What’s yours?”

 

“Annie.”

 

“Okay, Annie, it’s our secret now.” Michael exhaled loudly and stared at the stream.

 

It’s our secret until I figure out what to do!




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.