General Fiction posted August 8, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
flash fiction story

Visionary

by giraffmang



Detective Jasper McGee stared at the rough brick wall thick with blood splatter. He’d seen this before. The weather-beaten red brick turned pink in places, crumbling in others, had regained its lustre with the addition of the life-giving liquid. Somewhat ironic.

Rubbing a calloused hand over his tired eyes, Jasper took a deep breath and shook his head. He glanced back at the blood-free wall and sighed. No one would believe him. They’d all think he was nuts. Something was going to happen here and, once again, it’d be down to him…

Jasper sat in his rusting Crown Victoria, decrepit heater turned on full, watching the alleyway across the street. He took a slurp of the warm banana milkshake and grimaced. He eyed the cold fries on the dashboard but thought better of shovelling them into his tender gut. Precognition was a bugger, he thought, as he squinted his eyes, especially when you’ve no control over it. When he guessed right, it was a gift; when he didn’t, a curse, but you take the rough with the smooth.

Movement in the mouth of the alleyway caught his eye and he was out of the car with practised ease.  He strode across the empty street, hand hovering over his service weapon, holstered on his left. He ducked down behind a dumpster and risked a glance around it.

Two men stood in front of the wall Jasper’d seen in his vision, arguing. Could be nothing, could be everything. Their raised voices echoed down to Jasper’s position. Things were getting heated. He edged out from his seclusion and inched his way toward them, careful of each placement of his feet.

At five feet away, he stood and withdrew his weapon. A shot rang out from behind, spun him around and he was dead before he hit the ground.

He never saw it coming…



 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. giraffmang All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
giraffmang has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.