Writing Fiction posted August 7, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Temptation from Jack's past.

She Wanted Jack Back

by HarryT


“Who writes letters these days?” Jack wondered as he opened the envelope. He carefully slipped the letter out. Flash! Jack’s back in college, tearing open an envelope emblazoned with SWAK and adorned with ruby red lip prints.

He fell onto the couch, tapped the letter. He knew it had to be her. Another flash, she hands him his engagement ring; tells him she met another. Jack’s heart crushed. His stomach squeezed tight as a fist. He spent three days in his parents’ basement. Years later, he married another, but it didn’t work out. Throughout the years, he never forgot Susie.

Jack thought, Now she comes after I have met someone with whom I think I’m in love. He slowly unfolds the letter. Her scent storms his memory. Jack glances at the signature to make sure; it is Susie saying she realizes she made a mistake and would like to meet again. Susie is the girl who invaded his dreams night after night until Lorraine came into his life.

Susie wrote, “Please meet me at our favorite restaurant next Friday night.” Jack is perplexed. He loved her so much back then. The old excitement stirred. He told Lorraine that Friday he promised to help his father with his taxes. The two former lovers met and talked; the years fell away. She, with her angelic face and long blonde hair, was as beautiful as ever. They returned to her apartment, and she willingly gave her favors. He promised he would see her again the next week for dinner.

He thought of the future and called Susie and said, “I’m sorry but I can’t take the hurt again.” He reasoned; Susie couldn’t be trusted. Lorraine is sweet and will make a wonderful wife. Jack resolved to erase Susie from his memory book forever.
 
 



Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (300 words. Beg/mid/end)beginning with the sentence below. Create your own title.

'Who writes letters these days,?' Jack wondered as he opened the envelope.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.