Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 3, 2021 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Gathering at the hospital

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 17

by Begin Again

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Beads of sweat were multiplying like chickenpox across Garth's forehead as he paced back and forth. He'd come out to the rose garden so he could talk to Allie, but the warden's secretary had put him on hold. The seconds seemed like minutes as he waited. He ran his fingers through his hair and brushed away the sweat. He had a set time to talk with Allie. Her not being there for his call was a reason for his blood pressure to rise. His temples throbbed.

"Mr. Woodhouse, I've located Warden Hamilton, and he will be with you momentarily." The secretary waited for the explosion.

"What the hell is going on?" Garth barked. "Where are my agents with my inmates?" Standing still wasn't an option, so he collapsed into an Adirondack chair. Within seconds, he was standing again.

"Warden Hamilton will explain, sir." The woman on the other end stammered. "He's on his way."

"Damn it! I want answers now." Garth's temper flared. "Do you know who I am?" His voice bellowed over the phone line.

"Yes, sir. You're with the FBI."

"Good! Then if you relish keeping your job, you're going to tell me right now where my agents are. Do I make myself clear?" Garth was beside himself with worry. Something was wrong with his agents, Cassidy and Allie, and he wanted answers. A vision of Allie laughing at him in the vineyard flashed through his mind, followed by her screaming his name. He closed his eyes, squeezing out the thought as a sour taste coated his throat.

"Um..." She couldn't respond to the wild man on the other end of the line.

"I'm going to have you scrubbing toilets for a year." Garth's typical easy-going attitude no longer existed. It didn't matter that he didn't have the authority to do something like that. It only mattered if he got results. He'd placed Allie into a dangerous situation, and his mind was racing through the many unsavory scenarios that could be happening. "If you don't..."

"Sir, the warden is coming down the hall." He heard her loud sigh of relief as she handed the phone to Warden William Hamilton.

"Garth..." The warden's voice was raspy. He sounded out of breath.

"Bill, what's happening?" Garth screamed into the phone.

"There's been an incident. The prison is in lockdown."

"I don't care if all your inmates are running wild across California. Where are my agents and the girls?"

"They are currently in ambulances being..."

"Ambulances? Who's hurt? How bad?" Garth clipped his words. He couldn't get the thoughts out of his mouth fast enough.

"I believe the girls were stabbed and I've not been updated on the agents."

"What? Oh my God, how bad are they?" His shoulders shuddered. He wasn't sure he was ready for the answer. He spat his following words, "Whose ignorant ass is responsible?"

"To be honest, I don't know. I don't have the entire story, but a fight broke out involving your agents, and the girls got separated."

"So it was planned." Garth paused, struggling to gain back some of his composure. "Someone ID'd my agents and the girls. I want answers." He took a deep breath and asked, "What hospital?" The tension was exploding inside his head. His usual analytical mind crashed with a rare, unexpected emotional moment. The toe of Garth's boot connected with one of the wooden planters. He kicked it with so much force it splintered, and the dirt and flowers scattered across the brick pavers. He shook his head, mentally berated himself, and then took a breath.

"Sorry, Bill. I got distracted for a moment. What hospital?"

"Columbia University Medical Center. It's the closest one."

"Okay, I'm headed there. Call me when you have an update."

"Garth, these things happen." Bill Hamilton had known Garth for years. He'd never seen or heard him lose his temper.

"Like hell they do! Not with my people. I gotta go!" He ended the call and raced across the patio toward the house, yelling.

"Hank... Liz."

Hank reached the door first. Garth's red face told him something was wrong, and it was significant.

"What's happening, Garth?" Hank rushed to his friend's side. He'd never seen him display this much emotion since Katherine died.

Out of breath, Liz joined the men. "Garth, you're upset. What is it?"

The cowboy turned his back on both of them and tipped his head toward the sky. He inhaled and exhaled. Satisfied he could talk, he turned around. His eyes met Liz's worried ones, and he felt a stab in his gut. He had to tell her about Allie. He bent over and ran his hands up and down his long legs as he tried to comprehend everything he'd just heard.

"Garth, what is it?" Liz reached out and touched his arm. "Is... oh my God, is it... is it, Allie?" Her eyes widened and filled with tears.

He choked on his words. "Yes. I don't know the details. Bill Hamilton says someone jumped my guys, and the girls were beaten and stabbed. They rushed them to Columbia Medical Center."

"How bad is it?" Liz shrieked as the tears streamed down her face. "Damn you, Garth. You said she was safe."

Her words were a solid punch to his gut. His anguish covered his face. His southern tan paled. "I know, Liz. Don't think I don't know."

"I've got to get to the hospital." She turned and hurried toward the back door.

Hank called to her, "Liz, take Garth. He's not familiar with this area."

Her eyes shot daggers, but Garth's worried face melted her bleeding heart. "Fine."

"Good. You and Garth go. I'll wait for Emmy's call. One of us needs to hang around, monitoring the place."

Garth seemed relieved. "Sounds like a plan, Hank. I'll call as soon as I know anything."

"I'll get the car." Liz ran into the house, grabbed her purse, and headed out to the barn.

Inside the barn, Darryl saw her and yelled out, "Liz, you got a minute?"

"No! Allie's been in an accident. I've got to get to the hospital." Without waiting for his response, she slammed the Jeep's door, started the engine, and backed out of her parking stall. Stunned, Darryl watched as she ripped down the driveway toward the house.

Dust and gravel scattered everywhere as she brought the Jeep to a skidding stop.

"You want me to drive?"


"No! Just get in." Liz snapped and then softened a bit, "I know the shortcuts."

Garth climbed into the shiny blue Jeep, and Liz shifted into gear.

************
Visitors filled the blue chairs lined against the wall, some with their noses buried in laptops, others on phones, and one or two snacking on vending machine chips. The pungent odor of spicy tuna mixed with buttery popcorn wafted from the adjacent waiting room. A disheveled man waited for the elevator. It was evident by the stale body odor and black stubble on his face he'd been here for days, not good days either.

Garth and Liz rushed off the elevator; Garth recognized two of his best agents, Tango and Poppa. One moved to greet Garth; the other remained positioned so he could watch both hallways, the waiting room, and the elevator.

"Boss, have you got any details yet?" Tango sized up Liz and then returned his eyes to Garth. "The women are in Room 520. I posted two agents outside, and no one enters unless cleared by one of us. The hospital staff has a code."

"And the agents?" He fretted about the girls, but the silent drive to town allowed him to regain his composure. He was Garth, the number one FBI agent, and he had men to worry about too.

"They're down in the emergency room getting a once over. I think one has a broken arm. The doctors said they'd be taking him to surgery. The other's nose isn't looking too good. We haven't been able to talk to them yet. I've got several men posted down there."

"Okay. Tango, stay on top of it." Garth smiled, "And before you choke on your curiosity, the is Liz McKinley. I was at her vineyard and winery. Hank and Liz are friends, and he's working on a case for her. It might have some ties with our case as well."

Tango glanced at the ring on her finger. "Nice to meet you, Mrs. McKinley." He slipped his baseball cap off and nodded.

Liz offered her hand to Tango. "It's Liz." She shifted her eyes to Poppa and nodded.

"Don't mind him. When he's on duty, he's all business. You can bet he's checked out every person who's stepped off that elevator, including you." Tango smiled and exchanged a glance with Garth.

"Do you know the status of the girls? Can we see them?" Liz was impatient and wanted to get to Allie.

"You'll have to check at the desk." Tango directed his following comment to Garth. "Howard's on that post, and he hasn't sent me an update. The last one was an hour ago."

"Okay, thanks, Tango. Liz and I'll check in with the desk." They both hurried down the hallway.

***********

A nurse adjusted Cassidy's IV and moved around to take her vitals. She moaned when the blood pressure cuff tightened. Allie sat in the chair alongside Cassidy's bed. Gauze bandages wrapped around Allie's head, arm, and torso. The purple color around her eye showed she soon would sport a black eye. She held her roommate's hand in hers and patiently repeated her name over and over. "Cassidy. Come on, Cassidy, open your eyes."

Liz sat in a folding chair beside Allie. Her eyes were full of concern, but Allie kept reassuring her.

"The doctor says he doesn't see any sign of a concussion. They'll do another CT scan tomorrow, but if it looks good, I can go home."

"Home! You will not. You can mend at the ranch. And don't argue with me."

"I've had worse, Liz."

"Really? Refresh my mind on the last time someone stabbed you." Liz scowled at Allie and leaned over to kiss her cheek.

"Okay, you got me there. But the doctor says I was lucky. It hit nothing. I just bleed a lot. I should heal fine." She grimaced as she twisted in her chair but replaced it with a smile.

Garth's eyes were smoky. He had said little, but he couldn't take his eyes off Allie. "Liz is right. We don't know how they found out my agents, and you were there. We also have no idea who's behind it. You will be safer at the ranch. And that's that!"

Allie's tone was edgy, but the gruffness never reached her eyes. "I don't take my orders from you." She punctuated her remark with raised eyebrows and a smile, "And that's a fact!"

"Stop fighting like kids. She's going home with me, and she knows it." Liz squeezed Allie's hand. "I'd be a nervous wreck if you were anywhere else."

Cassidy moaned, and her eyelids fluttered. Allie reached over and grabbed her hand, stroking it with her fingers.

"Welcome back, Chickee." Allie's voice quivered with emotion, and she bit her lip. Prison life had bonded the two women.

Cassidy tried to lift her head. Pain shot through her body, and she groaned in protest. Her blurry eyes shifted sideways as she surveyed the room.

"Are we in the infirmary?"

Allie laughed. "Nope, we went big time, you and me. We are residents of Columbia University Medical Center. I've been talking with my friends while you were getting your beauty sleep."

"Friends?" Cassidy looked doubtful.

"Yes, this is my best friend, Liz McKinley. And this is..."

"Jeremy Dalton." Garth stepped to the side of Cassidy's bed with a glance toward Allie.

"He is a fri...end of yours? He looks kind of fancy in that cowboy shirt and Stetson."

"Cassidy, I work for the FBI. I'm working on a case in Hayden. I met Allie at the coffee shop." 
He smiled and his eyes sparkled as he remembered that fateful morning.

"Allie, is this a joke? We can't be talking to the FBI. Someone tried to kill us." Cassidy pressed her eyes closed, and a moan slid from her lips. "Why would the FBI care about us getting jumped by some prisoners?"

"You know how you said you had a big secret? Well, I did too! I've been undercover."

"I don't understand, Allie. How could you be undercover if you were sharing a cell in prison with me?"

"It was a set-up. The FBI believed your story, Cassidy. I was at your trial and believed in your innocence. We all believed in you. They allowed me to become your cellmate to protect you, which obviously didn't work out too well."

"The FBI has reason to suspect Mason Caldwell is dealing with some unsavory characters, but we can't pin anything on him yet. We also believe your brother, Jon, is Caldwell's puppet." He waited a moment to see if she'd react, then continued, "You don't fit the profile of a murderer, but you wouldn't talk."

Cassidy shifted her eyes to look at Allie. "You're FBI?"

"No" Allie shook her head and then wished she hadn't. Her face registered the pain at seven on a scale of one to ten. "I'm an investigative reporter."

"But you went to prison for me, someone you don't know." Her gasp was barely audible. "Oh my God, Allie, you almost got killed because of me."

"It was my choice. And I'd do it again. You needed someone to fight for you. You wouldn't do it."

"Did you arrest Mason? Is he in jail? And what about Jon?"

"Not yet! We're working on another case that involves both men. We'd like to wrap it all up in one enormous package."

"Oh no, what about my mother? You can't let Mason get to my mother!" Cassidy's agitation and sudden movement made her scream in pain.

"Calm down, Cassidy. Garth transferred your Mom to a wonderful facility with around-the-clock protection. She's fine. Now, you need to rest. Maybe when you feel a little better, you could answer some questions for Garth."

"Questions?" Cassidy could feel her body tensing, and it wasn't from the pain. "What questions?"

"About Mason? Sofia? And what you know about the church and Jon. Do you think you could do that?" Garth mentally crossed his fingers and waited for her answer.

Cassidy looked at Allie. Through watery eyes, she murmured, "I can't believe what you did for me."

Allie's eyes glistened with tears as she held Cassidy's hand. "I told you I had your back."

"You sure did." Cassidy moved her eyes to Garth. "I'll help you. It's a lot of bits and pieces, but it must have been enough for Mason and Jon to want to get rid of me. Prison was one thing, but if they are responsible for this, I'll tell you everything I know."

Cassidy closed her eyes. Exhausted, she drifted back to sleep.



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.