Fantasy Fiction posted August 1, 2021 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gifts received Secrets unfold

A chapter in the book The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise

The Chronicles Of Bethica

by amahra




Background
Gifts received and Secrets unfold on the Island of Domari

Chapter Ten (part 1)
Gifts of the Gods


By the time the Cristofur reached Domari, Celio and Dinary had mended their relationship.

A few nights earlier, Celio had had an odd dream: He hovered over his bed and watched an image of him dressed in a white vest-like garment, down to the knee; on his breastplate was the symbol of a god or perhaps, goddess--the figure appeared blurred.

His arms and legs were covered in gray, woven wool; he wore greaves from his knees to his ankles and a bronze mask with slits for his eyes, and openings for nose, and mouth. He knelt on one knee peering up at the figure which sat upon a white throne and handed him a shield of light, and a sword; the glitter of the metal shone brightly as a dawn's sun. 

Celio shot up to a sitting position--panting and sweating profusely. That had been the third time he'd had that dream. He never told a soul, but the dream taunted him throughout the remaining voyage.

Meanwhile, Gangus, concerned for the well-being of his staff, ordered a guard to be posted outside his cabin at all times.

*****
Pulling into Domari was a glorious day for everyone, especially Ndornah and Melitah. Grateful for Brehira's awesome hospitality, the sisters insisted that she accompany them onshore. Others were instructed by Ndornah to stay aboard.

When passengers and crew members saw in the distance all of the statues of female warriors, they finally understood the kingdom the sisters inhabited. All that guarded the kingdom were females, while servants were male and female.

The High Priestess Dianah called the Grand Matron, and who served their Goddess Dahlia, ruled the land. The Matron's husband served as Grand Master General of the all-male army which fought and conquered lands abroad that accounted for the great wealth of Domari.

However, while some found Domari interesting, a small group of men, after swilling much wine, decided to swim ashore; being excellent swimmers, the men swam underwater, unnoticed by the guards. They crouched in waist-high water and hid in the thick sea plants that sprouted a few feet above their heads. As the guards turned their attention towards children playing, the men, keeping low to the ground, scurried, again unnoticed, into a thickly wooded area.

Meanwhile, Brehira was taken aback by the beauty of the kingdom. These women come from a very wealthy, civilized, and cultured environment, she thought. She saw mansions, and libraries, places of learning, great ships, buildings for religious teachings, and farmlands as far as one could see. Their lakes and waterfalls appeared so clear she could see straight through to the rocks. The beautiful round flower gardens planted in rows stretched for hundreds of feet separating the foot-traveling paths. There stood multiple trees, vines, and vast gardens of colorful plants--none of which Brehira had ever seen, but thought looked quite appetizing.

Brehira gazed around wide-eyed taking in all of Domari's beauty as she was escorted into a tall white-stone building where women greeted her with polite nods and warm smiles. She saw no men, though there had to be, given all of the children she saw in military training. The girls and boys looked to be no older than five or six.

The sisters gave Brehira a summary of each statue of an ancestor. When Brehira saw they were all draped in priestly garments with jeweled headdresses, she knew the sisters weren't just ordinary women. At the end of the very long hallway and finally, the last ancestor, they stood before a tall red and gold door. The two guards, nearly as tall as the door, stood in gold plated helmets and breastplates--both holding a six-foot spear which formed an X across the door.

When the sisters walked up, the guards immediately bowed their heads and pulled the spears apart. Both grabbed a knob and pushed the heavy twin doors inward; one guard announced them as they entered. Their mother, the Grand Matron Dianah, sat upon her throne with her hands in her lap. She wore a pleated powder blue linen robe with an overlay netted with pearls. Her train measured thirteen to fourteen feet long--a Lunar Crest at her feet. Upon her head sat a horned diadem with a globe in the middle. Her shoes and belt were dyed leather.

When their mother saw them her eyes filled. "Thank the goddess, my daughters," she said embracing each when they walked into her waiting arms. She examined them. "Are you well? Were you hurt?" Before either answered, her gaze flashed to Brehira who stood a short distance away. "And who is this?" she asked.

"Mother, we are fine," Ndornah assured her. "This is someone we want you to meet."

The Grand Matron looked Brehira up and down. "Come forward."

Brehira walked forward, and a guard placed her hand on Brehira's shoulder and gently pressed for her to bow. When she bowed, the Grand Matron told her to rise and come closer. Brehira stood humbly before her.

"This is Lady Abram, Mother," Ndornah said. "Her shipmates rescued us and she has been hospitable and kind to us. We want to reward her and her shipmates for their kindness."

"Of course. You will stay the night." Dianah clapped her hands once, and a female servant ran forward and bowed. "Take her to our finest chamber and provide her with whatever she wants."

"Shama shi," the servant said--which meant as you command.

Brehira thanked the Matron, bowed then escorted away and accommodated.

"There's another matter, Mother," Melitah said. "Her gesgea, the leader of the men who rescued us went out of their way to bring us home. They can cut weeks off their journey by being allowed safe passage through our waters. I told them I would bring it before the council. They don't know all that is needed is your approval."

"Then I take it you did not tell them who you were?"

"We weren't certain until well into the journey that they could be trusted with knowing royal blood was aboard," Ndornah said.

"And even then, we said nothing," added Melitah.

"You did wisely, my daughters. You may tell Lady Abram that her gesgea's request has been granted."

"Bless you, Mother," they said in unison and bowed--backstepping before turning and leaving her sight.

*****
Childish giggles rang out from beyond the bushes where the trespassing seamen hid. The giggles rose over the white waterfall as the young beauties sat in their bright, colorful garments and braided each other's hair.

"Bless the gods, if my eyes have ever seen anything more lovely," said the patched-eye leader of the group.

"Oh, look at that one," another whispered.

"That one's for me," said the third.

"I don't know. I don't like this. No men around--only female guards, and these young maidens don't seem to have any fear," said the fourth man.

"Oh, stop being such a woman," the leader snapped.

"Those guards are kind da' tall," said another, "just like those sisters."

"And look at the muscles on that one. Lord Abram said they fought like men."

"Ah--stories to tell little girls like you at bedtime." The leader snickered. "I want a better look." He moved closer to where the maidens had gathered and glared through the one good eye.

"No. This is a mistake." the fourth one whispered. "I want no part in this." He turned swiftly and scurried off. The others started after him.

"Ah, let him go," the leader said. The two stopped, turned their attention back to the women, and followed the leader closer to them. The men ducked down and waited like snakes eager to strike.

Suddenly, one young beauty thought she saw a large animal in the bush and screamed. Her screams alerted the other maidens as well as several armed guards who scrambled to where the young maiden pointed.

The men took off running. After several minutes of scrambling through the forest, the men sat panting under the shadow of a large tree.

"I think we lost them," one of the men exclaimed; he stood to undo the front of his garment and relieve himself. As he stood basking in the glory of an empty bladder, he suddenly lit up the dark forest with high-pitched cursing. His fellow mates were horrified to see a severed phallus and blood squirting from his opened garment.

Three guards appeared--one with an empty crossbow and two carried swords.

"Look what you did to him!" the leader shouted. The two men jumped to their feet with their swords raised. "We're going to cut you blasted wenches to pieces."

But only one guard stepped forward with her sword raised while the others stood back grinning.

"You must be mad," the leader said looking at just one woman facing them.

The men were not paid swordsmen but knew how to handle themselves in an ordinary fight. Both smiled while taking turns sparring with her. She toyed with them. While the men struggled and panted, she barely broke a sweat. Her movements were swift as she practically danced around each man, making small cuts on their arms and torsos--all the while smiling.

"What the blackheart are you?" the leader asked.

"Your executioner," one of the posing guards laughed.

The two men advanced on her all at once. They managed to cut away pieces of her armor; lines of blood oozed from the openings. Her fellow guards became alarmed and shouted for her to end it. She danced and slashed an arm and a cheek then a thigh and abdomen. In just a few minutes, the men were bleeding profusely.

The one who was bleeding from his stumped-phallus shouted, "She's a blasted demon, I tell you!" He tried to crawl away as blood poured beneath him.

"Oh, no you don't," said one of the idle guards. She stepped to him, reached down, and lifted him with both hands. She stood his weak body up, slit his throat, and tossed him aside like a sack of garbage.

"And then there were two," said the other guard who stood smirking.

"You're not human. You're...you're fallen angels, that's what you are," the leader said. "No woman can do what you do."

The two men fought hard--but this time, they weren't aiming at her body, but her inferior sword. The Volarian metal was not known in that realm and they cut her inferior sword to pieces. "Ha!" he said, wiping the sweat from his eyepatch. But his celebration was short-lived when she kicked her long leg up, caught him under the chin and he tumbled to the ground. The fall jolted the sword from his hand and she scooped it up. She briefly examined the weapon wide-eyed then took a stance. Tired of toying with them, she cut and slashed the other seaman to death, and then turned to the one-eyed one still lying on the ground.

"Just get it over with you blackhearted witch," he growled.

She stood over him and drove the blade through his heart. He gasped and went limp.
Though their victory was sweet, the guards knew the penalty for neglecting their duties and allowing unauthorized persons on the island. Knowing how closely the men had come to the young beauties meant reduced rank, permanent loss of a prestige promotion, and years of maximum confinement.

They reported to their captain, they had tracked wayward Seawolves and killed them.
It was a believable lie since seawolves had often been spotted in that area. They were called Seawolves because of their ability to swim great distances underwater. Those wolves possessed an extra lung which allowed them to hold their breaths for several minutes.

They were the only wolves that were feared on land and sea. Seawolves were known to wander away from the pack and stalk farm animals. Even some sea creatures were not safe. Those unique wolves were a constant nuisance to farmers and fishers alike. When some parents learned seawolves had been caught and killed, they were greatly relieved since their families lived near the river.

"Good work," the captain said with stern pride. "Go. Take the rest of the day off. You've earned it."

The three guards thanked the captain. They hurried off--smirking and eying one another under their lashes.

However, an ambitious low-ranking guard noticed only one of the three had sustained injuries and she grew suspicious. One sea wolf--yes, but several? A year suspension was punishment for failing to prove any allegations against a high-ranking guard. She remained silent.




Image: by Dantegrafice from Pixabay

Main Characters

Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree he ra) His wife
Dinary (Di nary) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife


Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew-dee-in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master


 




When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.