Romance Fiction posted July 25, 2021 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Katherine contacts George's lawyer.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 23 part1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 25 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Gabriel returned and sat. "I guess it's safe to come back."

"My son asked permission to invite a girl to homecoming."

"Jordan's a great kid. All your boys are."

"Even Jeremy?"

Gabriel chuckled. "Even Jeremy. He's just young." He hesitated. "I'm curious. Who does he want to ask or is it none of my business?"

"I'll tell you. But promise not to say anything, deal?" After Gabriel agreed, Katherine said, "Sammy Clark. She seems like a nice girl. Do you know her?"

"I know the family. She has an older brother who played football. He's in college now. They're good people." He grinned. "Are you ready to start the whole dating scene?"

"Are you talking Jordan or us?"

Taking her hand again, he said, "When I asked the question, I was speaking of Jordan, but now you mention it, both."

"To be honest. Neither. They're both scary."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 23 part 1

On Tuesday, when Katherine and Daisy joined Gabriel and Reggie on the sidewalk for their morning run, Katherine said, "Thank you again for taking us to the miniature golf course, yesterday. The boys had a great time, but you didn't need to do that."

"Not a problem. I enjoyed it too." He grinned. "I have this tiny problem. I care for this fantastic woman, who comes as a package deal. I also happen to care for her amazing family so not only do I need to win her over, I need to win her children over."

She set her timer. "I think it's safe to say you've already won her family over."

Gabriel's eyebrow rose. "Oh, I have," he paused, "What about the lady?"

She giggled and began running. "I'd say the verdict's still out." She stopped and turned her head as the dogs growled facing the street. "I thought he was in jail."

"I'm sure he is. They probably hired somebody else. I'm positive your in-laws are financing this." As they began running again, Gabriel asked, "What do I need to do win this lady over?"

She turned and faced him as their eyes met. "Everything you're already doing and remain patient."

"That'll be easy."

"Are your linemen ready to lose to a bunch of girls?"

"You know many teams have been beaten by over confidence."

"Believe me, I know. My girls are ready. They're up for this challenge."

"I was afraid of that."

"Do you need help with the dance?"

"I have a couple of ideas."

"Care to share?"

"With you?" He grinned. "No way! Don't think the way you set me up went unnoticed."

She laughed. "I don't know what you're talking about?"

As the timer went off and they turned around, Gabriel asked, "Any idea when you're calling the lawyer?"

"I think I'll try during my lunch. If I can't get through, then during my planning period."

"Is it okay if I come to your room?"

"You're actually asking?"

"I keep hearing a complaint that I push my way in. Now I'm asking." Gabriel chuckled. "If the answer's no, then I'll push my way in."

"Of course you're welcome. Have you ever not been?"

"Do you really want to me to answer that?"

"Probably not."

They stood on the sidewalk outside Katherine's house, when she said, "I guess I'd better go. One of my family members has early practice and his coach's a tyrant."

Grinning Gabriel added, "Yeah, Jeremy's awfully young for such treatment."

She started toward the house. "Real funny. I'll see you later."

"Sure will." He petted Reggie's head. "Let's go, boy. We'll have to wait until later to see them again."

*****
A little after two o'clock, Gabriel walked into Katherine's classroom. "Have you made the call?"

She shook her head. "No. I got busy over lunch." She watched him shut the door. "Thank you. How did lunch with Jeremy go?"

"It was fun. I enjoyed it."

"Thank you for taking time to do it."

"Next month there's a lunch with Grandpa."

Her hand went over her mouth. "Oh no! I wonder if Harold will be asked."

"I have feeling he will and I'm sure he'll be honored to attend."

Katherine held her cell phone. "Ready?"

"Are you? You may not like the answer."

"I know."

Gabriel pulled up a chair beside her desk. "I'm ready."

"Good." Katherine dialed the lawyer's number. After the greetings, she told him, "I have a friend here and you're on speaker phone."

Once the lawyer acknowledged it was all right, he said, "You're the second person in a couple of weeks to ask about that will."

"Oh really? Who was the first?"

"Your in-laws. Jackson and Janette Riley."

"Why?"

"They wanted to know if they could receive more money from their son's inheritance. When I told them no, they said they're contesting the will because they're sure their son wanted them taken care of for the rest of their life."

"Can they do that? I know they received a lump sum. Can you tell me how much that was?"

"Their lump sum was $150,000. I guess they spent it all ready." Silence for a few moments. "Yes, they can. I doubt their argument would stand. Your husband used a couple of really good lawyers to write it so nothing like that could happen."

"Did you explain that to them?"

"I did. Now what's reason for your call?"

"You pretty much answered it. George's parents suddenly started acting strange and I wondered if something was wrong with the will. From what you've said they received a reasonable amount and really don't have a reason to be upset."

"I'd say you're right. It's rare for a son, who's married and has a family to leave anything to his parents. They always leave the inheritance to their family."

"We were generously taken care of. I have no problem with him leaving them money. I still don't understand their recent behavior. Thank you for your time."

"The only way they're getting more money from this will is to get the children's inheritance. If I can help any further, please call. Good bye."

Katherine faced Gabriel. "Did that clear anything up?"

"We pretty much suspected they spent all the money. Now, I'm sure of it. How about you?" After she nodded, Gabriel continued, "So we wait and see what they'll do next."

"I guess so." She tapped a pencil on the desk.

Gabriel took her hand. "I'm by your side. We'll handle it together." He checked his radio and stood. "I'm needed. Is five o'clock okay for our race?"

"It is. See you then."




CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws



Recognized

#17
July
2021


Thank you google images for the photo of a women making a phone call. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. I made changes again as I posted. Again, I hope I didn't make it worse. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 940 words. Thank you for having patience with me.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.