Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 23, 2021 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Some secrets are shared, others heard

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 10

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

The Paradise Casino and Resort appeared to be at full capacity. All the gambling machines were whirling, and bells were ringing. It was a good night for the business and Mason. Cassidy was in jail. The court cleared him of all wrongdoing, and a luscious twenty-three-year-old beauty he’d met at the bar was eager to quench his manly desires.  

A concierge lounged near the private hallway. His silver-fox hair, matching mustache, and striking dark eyes announced sophistication. The expensive black Armani tuxedo with red cummerbund spelled class. This person was a significant presence in the upper echelon of the resort. His job was to maintain privacy for those allowed beyond his post.

Only guests with coveted passes entered through the locked gate and into the grand foyer. Luxurious suites lined the first-level hallway. Rich mahogany panels covered the walls. Opulent crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling. An expansive winding stairway curved to an upper landing and smoker’s lounge. The high-roller gambling suites, six reserved apartments, and Mason’s private quarters were at the end of the hall.

Reluctantly, Jon withdrew from their passionate embrace and whispered goodnight to Rose, the woman responsible for igniting his smoldering fires. Her silk robe hung loosely across her voluptuous breasts, allowing her intoxicating scent to fill the hallway. Her puckered ruby lips delivered a quick kiss before she entered her suite and closed the door. Jon inhaled her lingering cologne. His satisfied expression and wrinkled shirt testified it had been an exhilarating evening. Whistling, he headed for the stairs. 

As Jon neared the landing, he cringed, and a fretful scowl crossed his face. With his newest conquest, Mason stood just inside the smoker’s lounge, like a jaguar waiting to pounce on his prey.

“Good evening, Father,” Mason smirked. “Offering private communion now, are you?” Jon’s mouth dropped open as his eyes darted between the lovely morsel and Satan’s clone. Mason kissed his date on the cheek. “Honey, be a darling and take my key. I need to have a quick chat with Father Jon, and then I’ll join you. Champagne should be chilled and waiting.” 

Her lips formed a tempting pout before she moved down the hallway, actively swaying her hips from side to side, knowing their eyes would follow. As she moved away, Jon offered Mason an excuse, but even he knew how feeble it sounded. 

“Rose asked for some reading material, and I dropped it off since I knew I would be in the casino.”

“I wasn’t born yesterday, Jon. It would be a shame if your faithful parishioners discovered the secret life of their priest. For a man of the cloth, you seem quite sacrilegious.” 

“Entering the seminary and becoming a priest was my parent’s idea, not mine. They thought their money and my status would ensure them a spot among the elite. They hadn’t counted on my lowly beginnings in Hayden and expected me to rise above it.”

“Not my concern, Father. It appears Lady Luck was not on your side tonight. You’re down $2000.” Mason growled. “How many sacrifices are you willing to make?”

 

Unaware of the two men on the top landing, Garth headed toward the gaming rooms. His interest didn’t lie in the dice and cards. Instead, he wanted to learn more about the rich and powerful people of Hayden. The sound of angry voices stopped him. Hidden from view, he listened.

 

“That’s my concern, not yours. I paid off my debts with you,” Jon snapped. “My sister’s in jail, and you’re a free man. You should be thrilled.”

 

“If she keeps screaming, she’s innocent; she isn’t going to live much longer. I can’t afford to have someone believing her rants.”

 

“Putting an innocent woman in jail isn’t enough for you?”

 

“No, it’s not.” Mason’s sardonic grin sent chills down Jon’s spine. “Either you make her shut up or...” Mason shrugged his shoulders and laughed.

 

“Or what? She lives in a guarded 8x10 cell.” Jon’s voice was confident, but his shifting eyes and swaying shoulders said otherwise. “Haven’t you done enough?”

 

“I think you’re mistaken, Jon. I was not the one who wouldn’t support her alibi.” Mason’s eyes glared with evil satisfaction.

 

“You gave me no choice.” Jon choked back his rising emotions. “My sister was the sacrificial lamb.”

 

“Enough of your drivel. I have a beautiful rendezvous waiting, impatiently, I am sure.” Mason jabbed his finger against Jon’s trembling chest. “For the last time, shut her up. Once she satisfied me, but now, she’s a thorn in my side.”

 

“How easily you cast people aside.” Assuming his role of priest, he added, “Someday you’ll rot in hell.”

 

“Can’t wait to see you there, Father. Can’t stand the heat, don’t play with fire.” Mason turned and walked away. His laughter wafted over his arrogant shoulders and trampled Jon’s sinking spirit. 

 

Stunned by their conversation, Garth retraced his steps and left the casino without making his presence known to either man. He’d suspected that Father Jon wasn’t the follower of God he professed to be, but tonight had been an eye-opener. Gambling and women were unacceptable devices for a man of the cloth, but sacrificing anyone, especially your own flesh and blood, left a foul taste in his mouth. Cassidy's life was in imminent danger. He needed to call the Director and do something fast. 

 

************

The ground sizzled beneath the sultry sun as it set beyond the rolling hills of California’s lush wine country. A symphony of colors, flaming red, simmering pink, burnt orange, and brilliant yellows, hung like honey melting over the summit, escorting daylight into the dusky night. Cynthia and Michael relaxed on the veranda, enjoying the painted sky.

 

Steak trimmings, small chunks of garlic potatoes, and bits of a colorful vegetable medley remained on the dinner plates. Michael leaned back in his chair and exhaled. “Awesome dinner, Cyn. I haven’t had a meal that good since the last time I visited.”

 

“Get on with your flattery, Michael.” Cynthia felt a warm blush on her cheeks. “I know how you enjoy the fancy restaurants in New York.”

 

“Yeah, I do, but down-home cooking is special.” Michael enjoyed his aunt’s culinary expertise, but secretly he did miss New York’s exquisite sushi and his favorite pastrami sandwiches.

 

“Let me clear these dishes, and I’ll bring a bottle of Chardonnay. One can’t call it a great meal without topping it off with a glass of wine.” Cynthia smiled at her nephew. “Besides, I think we have things to discuss.”

 

Michael returned her smile. “Indeed we do.” 

 

When Cynthia returned, she placed two wine glasses on the table and handed Michael the bottle of wine. “Will you do the honors, please.” 

 

Michael eyed the yellowed scroll in her hand. He completed his task quickly in anticipation of what his aunt was about to share with him. Michael had never shown much interest in her love for scavenging through dusty old books and papers, but her recent discovery had his mouth salivating to see it up close. Since the moment she’d called and told him, he’d done nothing but dream about it. Now that Cynthia was about to share it with him, he couldn’t contain his excitement. 

 

“Is that it? Is that the piece de resistance?” He grinned like a Cheshire cat. “However, did you uncover such a find?”

 

“People including the Cranstons and McKinleys donated boxes of books to the library, some unique, some priceless, and others mundane drivel. Stacks of yellowed documents and old letters filled several other boxes. Layers of dirt and dust coated each of them. Since I am currently writing a paper on the founders of the valley, I thought these old books might contain something useful. My curiosity paid off, Michael.”

 

“Show me! I’ve come from New York to see it.” Michael jumped from his chair and squeezed his aunt. “If it’s what you think…”

 

“And I thought it was your aunt’s company that drew you across the country.” Cynthia pressed her empty hand to her chest. “You wound my heart.”

 

“Oh, Aunt Cynthia, you know I love you dearly, but this… this is life-changing for both of us.”

 

“I know, but it might not be as easy as I once thought. Elizabeth had often mentioned how she missed the big city life and her friends. I was confident she’d sell the estate.” Her forehead wrinkled, and she frowned. “That new friend of yours worries me. What if he pushes her to sell to him?”

 

“Enough with the ice water! I want to enjoy the moment. Remember how excited you were when you phoned me? I want to experience that same thrill. Please, Auntie, show me.”

 

Cynthia unrolled the map with care and spread it across the table. Michael studied it, and his smile disappeared.

 

“It’s just an old map. I don’t see anything special.” Michael dropped back into his chair. “There’s no X marks the spot. There’s nothing.” He chugged the glass of wine and poured another one. “Why did you think this old map was so special?”

 

It was Cynthia’s turn to grin at her nephew. “You doubt me?” 

 

“Of course not, but sometimes you get a bit overly exuberant regarding your historical finds.”

 

She waved a dingy envelope under Michael’s nose. “Read this and see if you might share my enthusiasm.” She handed him the envelope and picked up her glass of wine. “I’ll savor my find and the wine, waiting for your apologies.”

 

Michael opened the letter and began to read.

 

************

 

April 18, 1848

 

Dear Brother Paul,

 

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I know since I moved west, we have not been close. I’ve heard your family has struggled with Tania’s illnesses. I am asking you to bring your family to California. The vineyards are budding, and the wildflowers are in full bloom. The lush valley is beautiful. The warm weather might help your wife.

 

Since William’s death, I, too, have struggled to care for the vines and learn the wine business. I admit I do not have the expertise my husband did.

 

The contents of this letter must reach you in strict confidence, though. I have discovered an untapped vein of gold on the estate. In my estimate, it may yield hundreds if not thousands of pounds of gold. I have invested so much money into the vineyards that I fear I don’t have enough money to hire men I can trust. I pray you will be willing to sell your property and the land we inherited and bring all the money to California. We can mine this together. We’ll be rich. 

 

Please post your answer as soon as you can. So many are arriving daily in hopes of prospecting for gold. Some appear ruthless and willing to do anything for a few nuggets. So far, the vineyards have been safe, but protecting the land by myself will be a difficult task.

 

Your loving sister,

 

Anna

 

*************

 

Michael jumped from his chair, grabbed his aunt, and danced her around the veranda, singing “Money, Money, Money” until they collapsed in giddy laughter.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.