Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 20, 2021 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A little game of tug and war.....

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 8

by Begin Again




Background
A story of loss, deceit, murder, and crime......
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.












Elizabeth’s muffled cries drifted through the house and into the study. Allyssa felt torn between reaching out to her best friend or remaining with Hank to study the documents Jack had believed were so important.




 “Hank, I don’t understand why Jack would have this woman’s birth certificate and adoption papers. We didn’t even know she existed until yesterday.” Allie tossed the certificates on the desk.

“Why was her existence kept secret, especially from Elizabeth, when she’s living on Sweet Haven property?”

“I have no idea, Allie, but I can assure you I am going to find out.” Hank picked up the papers and studied them, but nothing popped out at him. “I just added a note to my to-do list.”

“I’d like to…” Allie paused, interrupted by a voice calling from the front room.

 “Hello... Liz. It’s Cynthia. I’ve brought company.”

 The sound of voices caught Hank and Alyssa off-guard. They both turned toward the study door as Cynthia, Liz’s closest neighbor, charged in, leaving her other visitors standing in the spacious front room.

 Cynthia Ashbury, the town librarian, avid historian, local gossip, and wanna-be detective, came to an abrupt stop in the doorway. They were not who she expected to find, and her curiosity flipped into warp speed. 

“Oh my, I didn’t realize Liz had company.” She raised an eyebrow as she cast an icy glance toward Allie. “Hello, Alyssa. Where’s Liz?” And then, not waiting for an answer, she turned to Hank. “And who might you be, rifling through Jack’s desk?”

“He’s a friend of Jack’s and…”

“Hello, Cynthia. I’m Hank Armato. I’m here to help Liz sort through Jack’s business affairs. I have her full approval to rifle as much as I’d like.” Hank smiled and moved toward the desk, picking up the papers and shoving them into a drawer. “I’m not sure Liz is feeling well enough for visitors.” 

 “I’m not a visitor!” Cynthia scowled, “Liz and I are good friends, and I live on the other side of the road.” 

“Cynthia, I know you mean well, but another time might be better to meet your friends.” Hank struggled to be diplomatic with her.

“Well, my nephew, Michael, is visiting from New York. He’s a realtor working on some land development with the State of California. He was talking with his new friend he met in town, who is also interested in buying property, and they asked if I’d introduce them to Liz.” 

“Why would you do that, Cynthia?” Elizabeth was standing behind her neighbor with a scowl on her face. “I am not interested in selling the estate or winery. I think you and your friends have a lot of nerve barging in here.”

“But… Liz… I was… I didn’t mean… Oh my gosh, I’ve gone and upset you. I’m so sorry.” Cynthia turned and stretched her arms to hug her friend. Disturbed by Cynthia's assumptions, Elizabeth sidestepped her overture and moved closer to Allie. 

 “Why don’t I set your nephew and his friend straight, and I’m sure everything will be fine.” Hank walked out of the study.

 “Please say hello to Michael, Liz? He’s heard so much about you.”

 “Of course, Cynthia. I’m sorry for biting your head off. It’s been a bad day.” The three women turned and followed Hank into the front room.

Michael, a short, stocky man with wire-rimmed glasses, stood near the front window, pointing out the beautiful rolling hills in the distance, the rose garden, and the rows and rows of grapes in the vineyard. The man standing beside him, with Stetson in hand, turned from the window as Hank entered.

 “Gentlemen, I’m Hank Armato, a family friend.” His eyes widened, and his eyebrows raised in surprise as a quiet chuckle rolled off his lips. He extended his hand to Michael.

 “I’m Michael Pennington, Cynthia’s nephew. My friend said he was looking for property, so I brought him with me.This is Jeremy Dal…” Michael's mouth dropped when Allie interrupted him.

“Jeremy Dalton, Texas womanizer and….” The sparkles in Allie’s eyes were dancing, and a huge grin covered her face. 

“Wait one minute. A woman who can’t walk and talk at the same time will not slander me.” Jeremy nodded to the ladies and finished his introduction to Hank. “Jeremy Dalton, land developer and entrepreneur. Nice to meet you, Hank.” His eyes locked with Hank’s for a fleeting second before he turned to Liz. “My apologies, ma’am, for barging in on you like this.”

“It’s not a problem, Mr. Dalton.” Liz admired his soft-spoken voice and pleasant smile. “I’m afraid there’s been a misunderstanding. The estate is not for sale.” 

 “Please call me Jeremy. I’m not big on formalities. I guess I’m more of the rough and ride’em cowboy.” His devilish eyes stole a sideways glance at Allie.

Hank coughed and cleared his throat. “As long as they’re here, maybe Allie could show them around the rose garden and the winery. It’s a beautiful sight to see.”

“Yes, she is… I mean the rose garden, of course. My mom named every one of her prize rose bushes... thorns and all. But I should get back to town.”

You think I have thorns. You haven’t seen anything yet.

A flutter of butterflies tickled Allie’s stomach. All she could do was manage a smile.

“I was planning on making a trip into town as well. Michael, why don’t you visit with your aunt. I’ll drive Jeremy to town since I am going that way. Saves you a trip.”

“Well… I had hoped…” Michael sputtered, and his aunt took full advantage of the opening.

“That’s a great idea, Hank.” Cynthia hadn’t approved of Jeremy joining Michael today. She’d hoped they’d have a visit with Liz and a stroll around the estate privately. “I am sure Allie wouldn’t mind finding us a glass of lemonade or tea while we visit a few minutes with Liz?” 

Allie glared at Cynthia. “I’m not sure there is any fresh lemonade.”

“Then, a small glass of Jack’s delicious wine would be splendid. I am sure Michael would love to taste the newest addition to the winery.” Cynthia smiled and slipped her arm through Liz’s arm, and directed her outside. “We’ll be in the rose garden, Allie. Come along, Michael.” At the door, she paused. “Hope to see you again, Hank. And thanks for helping with Mr. Dalton.”

The women continued out to the garden while Michael trailed behind them.

“Who does that woman think she is? Ordering me to serve beverages to her.” Allie’s eyes shot daggers at Cynthia’s back. “And that wimp of a nephew… I doubt he’s even a land developer.”

“Shouldn’t be so quick to judge, my dear. Michael talks a decent game.” Jeremy turned to Hank. “What a surprise, my friend. Thanks for not blowing my cover.”

“Friend? Cover?” Allie sputtered, “You two know each other?”

Hank laughed. “Garth and I have been friends and cohorts for quite a few years.” 

“Garth? Which is it, Garth or Jeremy?” Sparks flew from Allie’s emerald green eyes. “Now, I don’t know if I should trust either of you. Someone better start explaining.”

“Why don't you get Liz’s guests the beverages and meet us in the vineyard. It will be safer to talk there.” Hank tried to turn Allie's temper down to a simmer.

“Or maybe we should let her stew. After all, she is an investigative reporter. Neither of us is to be trusted, according to her." Jeremy couldn't resist another jab.

Hank slapped Garth on the back, laughing. “Good one, my friend. And, for a woman, her judgment is impeccable.” 

Allie stomped from the room in a huff. “Men!” 

That's the second time today I’ve watched her backside sashay out of sight. A man could get to like it. 

Out of the corner of his eye, Garth caught his friend watching him. He shrugged and laughed. “Come on. Show me this vineyard.”

“It would be my pleasure.” Hank laughed. “By the way, I enjoyed the sparks flying between you and Allie."

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, my friend.”  

“My mistake! Guess it must have been leftover fireworks from the Fourth of July.” Hank chuckled and shook his head.

“I can’t deny that she’s one heck of a firecracker. My mother always told me not to play with matches because I might get burnt.”




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - deceased owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - deceased and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caretaker of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Michael Pennington - nephew and realtor
Cynthia Pennington -librarian, gossip and neighbor
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.