General Fiction posted July 29, 2021 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
It's time to gear up!

A chapter in the book The Walkers

The Dangerous Journey Begins

by papa55mike




Background
Gabriel Hope leads a formidable team of Angels and Walkers through the Spirit Realm on a dangerous mission to India.

In the moments right after daybreak, Cris hears a mysterious sound. He wipes his eyes and thinks. What the crap is that? He slowly rolls out of his sleeping bag, unzips his tent a little then sticks his head out. A tall figure stands at the edge of the gravel then takes an arrow out of a quiver. With a slow and steady pull, the figure then releases it with a twish. The projectile hisses along its path only to slam into a round bale of hay with a thunk. It hits the center of the circle, joining a nice grouping there. Cris says to himself. "That's at least seventy-five yards away."

He pulls his head back then puts on his shorts. Cris rolls out of his tent, then slides on his Nike cross-trainers and flips a tee-shirt over his shoulder.

Cal walks over to the target and retrieves her arrows. She's dressed in a pair of red gym shorts and a black tee-shirt with a white cross on it that says, I Believe. Cal turns and sees Cris watching her, then smiles. She watches Cris pull a tee-shirt over his head then slide his arms through. That man has no fat on him. Let me see how much courage and trust he has. "Good morning. Did I wake you?"

"Maybe. Where did you learn how to shoot, Cal?"

"Oh, it's been an obsession of mine since I was ten. I carried that craving to an Olympic Gold Medal in 2012. The team wanted me in 2016, but I was already working with my parents in Africa."

"Who would've known? You are one amazing woman, Cal."

"Well, let's put that to the test and see how much courage you have, Cris."

"No, please, it's too early in the morning for that."

"Do you have any change in your pocket?"

"I hear something rattling, thirty-five cents. A quarter and two nickels."

"I'll make it easy; use a nickel."

"And what am I supposed to do with this nickel?" Cris's southern drawl leaks out.

"Hold it in between your thumb and index finger, then at arm's length."

"Like this?" Cris has the coin standing between his finger and thumb. You can see the president's face staring forward.

"Perfect, now start walking. I'll tell you when to stop."

A door to the back of the church opens, and Gabe and Michael come walking out carrying coffee. Gabe takes notice of the situation. "Oh, this should be interesting." They stop holding four cups of coffee.

"Is this far enough?"

"Let's make this interesting. Five more steps."

Cris counts them out, then turns. "Ain't no way you can hit this! There's not enough light."

"I suggest you take a deep breath, close your eyes, and don't move."

Cris starts to complain. "That's at least fifty yards! You know this is my shooting hand."

Cal draws her bow back. "Please, hold still." She lets the arrow fly. 

Cris hears the screaming missile approaching him and winces. Suddenly the nickel flies out of his fingers, and the arrow hits the hay behind him.

Cris opens his eyes, looks at his fingers, then smiles at Cal.

Gabe turns to Michael and exclaims, "I like her!"

"Yes," Michael grins at Gabe. "Pearlie said you would."

"What did she say to you, Michael?" They begin their coffee journey again.

"Miss Pearlie wants me to keep an eye on you. She wants to see what effect this Amazon Goddess has on you. Those were her words."

"I'm at least thirty years older than her."

"On the earth today, Gabriel. What does that mean?"

"I see your point, not a thing."

Michael turns to Cal and Cris standing there. "Good morning. We brought you both some of Pete's magic coffee elixir. It does invigorate somehow."

Cris takes a sip. "A couple of cups of this, and I can build a world."

Gabe hands Cal her cup. "I saw that shot. Amazing!"

"Well," Cal blushes a little. "I wanted Cris to know that I had his back if needed."

"Point taken," Cris shakes his head.

Michael laughs, then says, "Let's meet under the Oak to discuss the Spirit Realm and what we need on the journey."

"I have to visit the bathroom," Cal explains. "Then I'll be right there."

The sun breaks free of the earth to begin its trek across the gorgeous blue sky when the group assembles under the tree. Michael begins. "We must talk about what you'll need to take. You will not need any shelter there. It never rains, and sleep will not come very often. The Lord will supply our food. I have associates stationed along the journey, but your energy will not dissipate as it does on earth."

Gabe takes over. "It's like time has no meaning in the Spirit Realm. A day here could be a month in the Realm - this means you won't age, be hungry as often, and won't need to sleep unless you expend a lot of energy in battle. We will be using many portals throughout the Realm. How else can we cross the vast expanse of the world in a short amount of time."

Michael leans forward. "I must warn you about fear in the Realm. It will be a battle to keep it from seeping into your mind when you see what we are up against - but know this; God is with us. He sees our every step."

Cris jumps in. "What do we need to carry?"

"Ammo for sure," Gabe answers. "But we will never run out. I usually carry my shotgun, both of my Rugers, and some hand-fighting weapons. But, I'm taking my AR-15 with me this time and a couple of trophies from my last visit."

"I won't need any arrows?" Cal asks.

Michael answers. "Your quiver will never run dry."

"I like the sound of that. Do we need clothes?"

"No, we will be like the Israelites in the wilderness. Nothing will wear out."

"But," Gabe smiles. "I do need to warn you about the smell of Brimstone."

"Brimstone," Cal and Cris ask simultaneously.

"Yeah, I'd say it smells like the stench of fear, human waste, and burning corpses all rolled into one. I'll make sure to bring some Vick's vapor rub. It helps with the smell."

Cal grimaces. "Oooh."

"If there are no other questions," Michael asks. "Let's break camp and begin." 

Two hours later, the group waves to Pete before leaving the field beside the church. It breaks Gabriel's heart to leave the church behind. The last time he did, it was left in burnt ruins when he returned.

They cross the road just as a Mom is taking her kids to school passes them. She takes one look at the heavily armed group in the mirror then floors it. 

After crossing the immense cornfield, they stand at the edge of the portal. Gabe turns to Cris. "I love that Colt."

"It was my father's, and that makes it special. Those Rugers are kicking. Let me guess. You shoot with both hands?"

"Of course," Gabe walks through the first barrier, and the others follow. 

Cal and Cris wince at the smell. "Oh, my," Cal exclaims.

"Oh, yeah," Gabe reaches into a pocket on his backpack. "This will help a little." He tosses Cris the Vick's. "I don't smell it anymore." Gabe pulls both Rugers off of his duty belt. "We go in locked and loaded. There might be an ambush on the other side." 

Cris checks his Colt then chambers a shell. 

Cal takes her bow in hand and draws an arrow from her quiver. 

Michael pulls his coat back then draws a gleaming sword from its sheath. Energy seems to crackle around it.

They stand before the swirling darkness of the portal. Gabe speaks up. "I'll lead," then disappears inside. Shots ring out within the portal.

Michael, Cal, and Cris run into the darkness. They arrive in time to see the last skeletal form of a Legion explode into a red mist. 

Gabriel picks up a helmet and chest protector from one of the Legions. "When did they get bulletproof armor, Michael?"

"Only a few of them have it, but it's because of you, Gabriel."

"That's why Satan had a small platoon in updated armor by this portal. They were waiting for me to enter."

"He never forgets."

"I hope to give Satan a few more precious memories before we leave."

Cal begins to scan the horizon. "Dear, Lord!"

A devastated landscape stands before them. Dark black clouds fill the sky, very little light is allowed. Remnants of concrete house foundations dot the ground. Mangled bits of concrete hang from rebar planted deep in the earth. Blackened bricks lay scattered about the landscape. Somehow, a doll's head sits next to a cinder block. There are no roads, and only a few mailbox posts show where there was one.

Lightning suddenly pierces the clouds revealing a lone star in the sky, Heaven. The ground quakes when the platoon of Angels lands many miles away. Screams of war erupt in the distance. 

Gabriel turns to his friends. In his best, Jack Nicholson says, "Honey, I'm home!"





According to Webster's Dictionary, 'twish' is the sound of an arrow being released and 'thunk' for striking a target.

The Cast of Characters.

Gabriel Hope
At six feet, six inches tall, 295 pounds, Gabe is a 20 year veteran of the Army Rangers, and he's been walking for the Lord for 23 years.

Michael
The Arch Angel of Heaven, Prince of God, Commander of the Lord's Armies. His massive size varies on the situation. Michael has been friends with Gabe for many years after recruiting him for battles in the Spirit Realm.

Cal Cummings
At six feet, two inches tall, 200 pounds, Cal graduated from Vanderbilt University with a Master's degree in Theology. She also starred in Volleyball and is an Olympic Champion Archer. Five years ago, she was working in the mission fields of Africa when bandits killed her Mother and Father in a brutal attack. Cal barely escaped.

Cris Turner
At six feet tall, 200 pounds, Cris has a Master's degree in Criminal Science and Theology from North Carolina University. He is also an excellent shot with his Colt 45 model #1911. Cris started walking for the Lord three years ago when his wife and son were killed in a plane crash. Cris missed the flight.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.