Satire Poetry posted July 28, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Eeekkk

Worth Fainting For

by Senyai







Edvard Munch’s "Screampainting


Has a theme worth fainting






...


 



Two Line Poem contest entry

Recognized

#128
July
2021


* MUNCH IS PRONOUNCED MONK AND IS ONE SYLLABLE :-)

* Thanks for reading this play on words :-)

* Painting is the pastel on board of The Scream, by Edvard Munch (one of the four paintings done with this image and theme). The pastel is the most vivid of the four paintings.

* Edvard Munch was a Norwegian artist born December 12, 1863 - died January 23, 1944. Munch was associated with the international development of Symbolism during the 1890s and recognized as a precursor of 20th-century Expressionism.

* His most famous painting is The Scream which was originally called The Scream of Nature or the Norwegian title is Skrik (Shriek). The agonized face in the painting has become one of the most iconic images of art, seen as symbolizing the anxiety of the human condition.

* The image was originally conceived by Munch as part of his epic Frieze of Life series, which explored the angst of life and the effect that modernization in the late 1800s and early 1900s had on the human condition. He did several renditions of the same image in different paint mediums.

* An entry in Munch diary, dated January 22, 1892, recorded the inspiration for The Scream:
I was walking along the road with two friends the sun went down and I felt a gust of melancholy - suddenly the sky turned a bloody red. I stopped, leaned against the railing, tired to death as the flaming skies hung like blood and sword over the blue-black fjord and the city. My friends went on and I stood there trembling with anxiety and I felt a vast infinite scream through nature.

* This pastel-on-board from 1895, still in its original frame, is the only one of the four that remains in private hands. In 2012, it briefly set the record for the most expensive artwork ever to sell at auction, when, after 12 minutes of bidding, it fetched almost $120 million at Sothebys in New York. The buyer was the American financier Leon Black, who has now lent the work to a new exhibition, Munch and Expressionism, at the Neue Galerie in New York.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Senyai All rights reserved.
Senyai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.