Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 17, 2021 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Kids will be kids

A chapter in the book Ruminations from a Winding Career

They Did What? Pt 2

by Rdfrdmom2




Background
Stories from a long and winding career.
“Janice, I told them you had gone home ill. I wrote their assignment on the board and asked them to get to work. Some of them wanted to be silly so I asked them to act their age. The next thing I knew, they were turning their seats around and refused to sit facing the board.”
 
“I am really sorry, Mr. Maury.”
 
“It is okay, Janice. I know you don’t tolerate that type of behavior.”
 
“No, I do not. I will handle this when I see them today.”
 
Pt 2
 
My fourth period geometry class normally went to lunch prior to coming to my class. Imagine their surprise when they heard the following as part of the morning announcements: Mrs. Holland’s fourth period geometry class is to report to class prior to lunch today – no exceptions. Do you wonder what they were thinking when that same announcement was made at the end of each class until fourth period?
 
I was standing at the door, smiling and speaking to each by name, as per my usual, as students entered my classroom. Everyone looked like they had lost their best friend as they came in and went straight to their seats. As soon as the tardy bell rang, I closed the door, moved to the front of the board, and leaned back against it. I made sure to look each student in the eyes for a few seconds as I called the roll, something I had quit doing several months before. I wanted to see which one of them was going to offer an explanation for Friday’s rudeness.
 
Finally, a student asked if they were in trouble. One of the cheerleaders, Debbie, said, “Heck, yeah, we’re in trouble. I knew that the first time they announced we had to come here before going to lunch.”
 
“And why do you think the class is in trouble, Debbie?”
 
“Because we didn’t like Mr. Maury treating us like babies, so we turned our backs to him.”
 
“And whose idea was that?”
 
“For him to treat us like babies or for us to turn our backs?”
 
“I’m not in the mood for your shenanigans, girl. Just tell me what happened.”
 
“Some of us asked for some help on the assignment because we didn’t remember how to do it. He said he wasn’t going to help us. Somebody asked again. He told us to stop whining like babies and to get our work done. John said we weren’t babies. Then Mr. Maury told us to act our age and not our IQ. I turned my seat around because I didn’t like that. Is it my fault everybody else did the same thing?” Deb asked.
 
“We didn’t think you’d punish Debbie because she’s one of your cheerleaders, so if we did what she did we would be okay,” said John.
 
“What do you think of that choice now?”
 
“I guess I was wrong.”
 
“Your assignment for tonight is to write a letter of apology to Mr. Maury for your rude behavior. Please understand. I am not saying what was said to you was appropriate; however, there was a better way to handle it. I will address his comments with him. Your letters are due on my desk tomorrow before lunch. That’s right. We will be going to late lunch every day this week. If I don’t approve your letter, I will send it home for you to rewrite it with your parents. Got it.”
 
“Yes, Mrs. Holland.”
 
“Now, what is it you didn’t understand about Friday’s assignment?”

 




Sometimes kids do what they do in response to what adults should not have done. A special thanks to VMarguarite for the use of "Empty Chairs" to enhance this writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.