Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 17, 2021 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Allie meets her match in Jeremy

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 6

by Begin Again




Background
A story of loss, deceit, murder, and crime......
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many secrets in the wind.

“The trial ended as I predicted.” Allie blew a puff of air at the strand of hair hanging across her face. One hand held her cell phone and the other her bag with her laptop, purse, bottled water, and whatever else she needed for the day. “Liz, I’m going to grab a caramel macchiato and be on my way to you. Do you want anything?”

 “No, just my best friend to hurry and get here.” 

 “Speaking of friends, what about Jack’s guy? Has he gotten back to you yet?” Allie crossed the street and slipped between two parked cars, carefully shifting her bag. The coffee shop looked busy.

 “No, not yet. I thought I’d hear from him early this morning. Guess he and Jack weren’t that close.” 

 “I’d call him back if you don’t hear from him. I’m going to hang up so I can get this coffee. See you soon.” Allie didn’t wait for Liz to answer. She ended the call and shoved the phone into the side pocket of her bag.

 The welcoming scent of coffee wafted through the air. Allie inhaled deeply, drawing the nutty aroma into her lungs. For one brief second, her eyes closed, and a smile of pure pleasure spread across her face. She abruptly made body contact with someone. Her eyes flew open as she began stuttering her apologies.

 “Oh, I am so sor…” Allie stared into the sexiest steel-blue eyes she’d ever seen. The stranger with the Stetson laughed at her. 

 “I’m new in town. I don’t know the rules, but your turn signals aren’t working.” His drop-dead smile would melt a block of ice in sixty seconds.

 Butterflies fluttered in Allie’s stomach, sending a warm pink flush across her torso and her face. Allie could feel herself drowning in his playful eyes. She needed to snap out of it.

 “Turn signals? Maybe Texas girls require blinking lights, but California prefers their women to be soft and shapely.” 

 “Oh, I got the soft part right away.” He let his eyes drift down across her breasts before looking into her eyes. “My apologies, Miss…” He cleared his throat. “Miss…”

 Stunned by his obvious perusing of her body, Allie didn’t know whether to slap him or lock lips with his delicious smile. She thought she preferred the latter. He was one tall, sexy hunk of humanity. “Allie.” She clung to her last shred of composure and extended her hand to him. “I’m Alyssa Shelton, Investigative Journalist.”

 He tipped the edge of his Stetson, smiled, and wrapped both his hands around her hand. Her arm tingled from his touch. “Jeremy Dalton, Texas womanizer.” A deep, honey-coated chuckle rolled across his lips.

 Allie jerked her hand from his. “And here I was just beginning to like you.” She spun around in search of a table. She could see Jeremy stood in front of the only empty one. He followed her gaze and pulled out one of the plastic chairs.

 “Would madam care to join me over a cup of coffee? My treat for my unintended rudeness.”

 Allie had planned to grab a coffee and rush to Liz’s side, but Jeremy’s magnetism kept drawing her. “Maybe just a quick one. I do have somewhere else to be.”

 “Of course. Another courtroom to invade? Or murder stories to write?”

 Allie could feel the ridiculous smile pasted on her face, but she couldn’t will it away. “Courtrooms? Murder stories?” Allie failed at her attempt to be coy.

 “That was you staring at me during the Caldwell trial, wasn’t it?” This time, the sexy smile was a wide pearly white grin. 

 “I wasn’t staring at you. I was assessing the town’s people who attended, and it’s possible you were in my line of sight.”

 “Honey, those emerald-green eyes didn’t whiz by me. I assure you, they locked on these sparkling blue eyes. They even might have gotten a little smokey.”

 “How dare -” Allie knew he spoke the truth, but she didn’t like it rubbed in her face. The young server stood at their table and rescued her from total embarrassment.

 All the waitresses wore hot pink capris and white tank tops with light pink aprons. A ribbon with Doty’s Coffee Shop ran across the front. Their waitress wore her long, mousey brown hair in a ponytail with a hot pink bow. She looked picture perfect till she smacked her gum.

 “What can I get you guys?” Allie almost fell off her chair when the petite girl blew a bubble and popped it. A smile tugged at Jeremy’s mouth, which he hid behind his hand.

 “I’ll have a large black coffee, and I believe my companion needs something to cool her down.”

 “Ma’am? Coffee or something cool like the cowboy suggested?”

 Almost choking, Allie coughed and then ordered, “Nothing hot for me. I’ll have a caramel macchiato.”

 “Will that be hot or iced?” She blew another bubble, and it popped, leaving a tiny pink residue on her upper lip.

 “Iced, please. Very cold ice.” Allie rolled her eyes. “Thank you.”

 “Sure, no problem. That’s my job.” She smiled and left their table.

 Neither Allie or Jeremy could control their laughter. Without knowing it, the waitress had broken the tension between them.

 While waiting for their coffee, Allie asked, “What brought you to Hayden if it wasn’t the women?”

 “I’ve been thinking about purchasing some land, but nothing’s caught my eye yet. Land wise that is."

 It was difficult to ignore his wit, but Allie struggled to maintain her cool. She changed the topic of conversation. “So, how have you been occupying your time besides attending murder trials?”

 “Stopped at the Paradise Casino the other night, but Lady Luck wasn’t on my side. I saw one familiar face at the gaming tables.” Jeremy hesitated. “It surprised me when I saw him in the courtroom today. He dressed differently, but I never forget a face.”

 “Really? Do you know his name?” Curiosity tickled Allie’s investigative bone.

 “No, but it was the priest who was in court today. Could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw him wearing that collar.”

 “Jon Saladino? You sure he was gambling?” Allie’s mouth fell open. “He’s the priest at St. Ambrosia Church.”

 “Yup, it was him minus the two girls he had hanging on his arms.” 

 The waitress arrived with their coffees. She set them on the table, dropped several napkins and the bill before waving her fingers at Jeremy and leaving.

 “I’d heard a rumor or two, but I’ve never seen him out there.”

 “The high-rollers play in a private room. The priest sat at a table across the room from me.”

 Allie noted the subtle admission that Jeremy was also a high roller. She changed the subject again.

 “And what brought you to court this morning?”

 “Just wanted to see what the fuss was about. Not every day you get to see a murder trial.”

 “I think she’s innocent." Allie blurted out. "Mason Caldwell gives me the creeps.”

 “Is that why you think she’s innocent? Or just because she’s a woman?”

 “No, being a woman has nothing to do with it. My gut tells me she’s telling the truth, and my gut is never wrong.”

 “Your gut? Now that’s some mighty fine investigative work.” Jeremy laughed.

 “Listen, you can make fun of me, but it’s steered me in the right direction, time after time.” Allie looked at her watch. “It’s been a pleasure chatting, but I need to get going. My best friend lost her husband a few weeks ago in a plane crash -”

 “Jack McKinley?”

 “Yes, do you know him? They purchased the Sweet Haven Winery and Vineyard about six months ago.”

 “I don’t know him, but a good friend of mine does. I’ll have to check with him and see if he is aware of it.” Jeremy waved at their waitress and handed her a twenty-dollar bill. “Keep the change.”

 Allie stood and gathered her bag. “Thank you for the coffee and your polite conversation.”

 “I’ll try to do better next time.” Jeremy tipped his hat and grinned.

 “Next time? Who says there will be a next time?” Allie wrinkled her nose and made a sour face. She didn’t want to, but this cowboy was too sure of himself.

 Jeremy smiled. “Oh, there will be. Didn’t your gut tell you that?”

 Allie stuck her tongue out and walked away. Laughing, Jeremy watched her leave in an exaggerated huff.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - deceased owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - deceased and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caretaker of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Cranston's
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - Undercover FBI (Jeremy)
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.