Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted July 11, 2021 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The joys of camping out

A chapter in the book Memories of This World

Memories of this World ch. 11

by estory

Our tent is pitched on the edge of a campground under the dark, green boughs of maple trees, just above an embankment that drops down to the Delaware River. In the settling darkness of twilight, as the shapes of trees and boulders grows more indistinct, the murmur of the river in its ceaseless flow to the sea from the mountains is reassuring, refreshing. It is like a voice from nature itself, evidence that beyond the world of automobiles, television sets, refrigerators and air conditioners, this raw, natural force still exists. Somehow we find that exciting.

We are a couple of hundred miles northwest of New York City. It felt good to drive up to this place from the civilization of the suburbs, with the windows of the car open to let in the fresh air. Only the car and its license plates seem a tenuous, stretched connection to those suburbs. That too is a cause for exhilaration. The fact that there is no television up here to entertain us means that we have had to rely on a pack of old playing cards. No stove means that we had to cook our burgers and corn on the cob over an open fire. No beds means sleeping bags, rolled out over air mattresses in our tent. All these things are for us, also a cause for celebration.

The fire is dying down, crackling the dried up sticks and logs we have tossed into it, flickering in the darkness so that our hunched shadows loom and shrink against the dappled, wild leaves of the trees; a ghostly pantomime. We laugh at them nervously. We listen to an unseen chorus of crickets and katy-dids calling to each other from their mysterious places in the woods. It is good to be close to this, we think.

In the light of an old oil lamp we play cards, and the simple figures of spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds, the braces of kings and queens, jacks and aces, seem to be yet another connection to the past, something handed down to us from generation to generation like chess, or English itself. For one night at least, we're almost like the characters in the Outlaw Josie Wales. Vagabonds with thin ties to civilization, in the middle of nowhere.




Camping is one of those things everyone should experience, at one time or another in their life, especially in these technology framed times. It's good to cut the cords to these machines and that way of life, and once we're free of them, the excitement of being out close to nature has a kind of rejuvenating effect. We seem to rediscover ourselves and our abilities, in these moments. And we reconnect to the old ways that have been left behind, for the most part, in our civilized suburban world. One great thing about growing up on Long Island was that you could drive for two hours north of the city and you were out in that world again, in the mountains or on the Delaware. It was like stepping across a border into another world. estory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. estory All rights reserved.
estory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.