General Non-Fiction posted July 7, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A new to us, farmhouse.

Cobwebs and Grease

by aryr

Many years ago, before we became full time RVers. We decided to get out of city life and changed to a farmhouse. We found a delightful home.

Apparently, the original house had burned years before that, and a new home had been built. It had been interesting with the home being a brick, ranch style bungalow, with an attached sun room and carport. The barn was separated into three parts. There was also a small potato/corn house, a smoke-house and an outdoor toilet. Years later when we sold the house and land, we jokingly said it was a bath and half, with the half in the yard.

Anyway, when we got the house, we knew it would need a super cleaning before we painted.

Everything went well with the two bedrooms, the bath, the living room and dining area. Then we got to the kitchen. We tried a preparation without success. Regular paint was unsuccessful too. Our only choice was to use a boat paint, which was costly, but fortunately it was a galley kitchen.

Because I had stained and painted houses as part of a crew in my younger years, I knew enough to understand why my husband took off the cupboard doors. Now you understand that this was at a time when we had three cats but no dog, yet. Thank goodness for baby gates, I was thus able to keep the cats out of the kitchen area. I used two, one top of each other and the fridge had a built-in cupboard over it. I guess his rationale was to get new hinges or whatever.

Regardless of his rationale or intent, I started reminding him of the cupboard doors which were stored behind the living room couch and chairs, after three months. At ten months, I offered an ultimatum-either put the doors back up, or I would find a home for them in the burn barrel. He chose to put them back up.

Also, in the process of cleaning the kitchen eleven months before I discovered that the harvest gold fridge was not really that color. From what I understand, Mama loved to cook with grease of any kind. The stove was an old-fashion gas one that I dearly loved. The vent was packed with grease, which took me two days to clean. The fridge was another story. It was really white which was covered in grease to give the appearance that it was harvest gold. This beauty took me almost four days to clean.

Fortunately, we now live full time in a camper, I truly feel blessed and love it.

430 words.



True Story Contest contest entry

Recognized


Thank you so much for the artwork-Cobwebs by greentop
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.