Romance Fiction posted June 27, 2021 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A man crosses the line in spying.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 21 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Releasing a deep breath, Gabriel said, "Now, for what you think you saw. I thought you trusted me enough to know I'd never do anything to hurt you." He walked to her, put his arms around her, drew her close, and gave her a lingering kiss. When the kiss ended, he said, "That's what me kissing someone looks like."

He glanced at his arms still around her. "Notice where my arms are. Never did my arms or any part of my body touch her. If you stayed, you would've noticed she kissed me, but you jumped to conclusions and left. I didn't kiss her and didn't return it. I stopped the kiss and sent her away. I came looking for you."

Gabriel turned to leave. "I have a few things to take care of. When you're ready to talk, call."

On the way out, Jeremy ran up to him. "Coach! I didn't know you were here."

He knelt down. "Little Buddy, I have some things to take care of. Your mom will call when she's ready for me to return." He glanced toward Katherine, nodded, and then left.

Tears streamed down Katherine's cheeks as she watched him leave.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 21 part 1

That night Katherine tossed and turned. She held her breath when she heard the front door knob jingle. Breathe. She took deep breathes. It's probably the wind. Again, she heard the jingles. That's not the wind.

Moments later a flashlight shone through her bedroom window. She moved her phone to her bed and pressed Gabriel's number.

After a few rings, he answered, "Kate, what's wrong?"

Between sobs, she whispered, "Gabriel."

"I'm on my way."

*****
When Bill and Gabriel parked outside Katherine's house, they noticed a police cruiser heading toward them. Gabriel tapped the steering wheel. "That's probably Brad Owens. I asked him to meet us here. Something has Kate spooked."

"You mean more than seeing that model kiss you?"

"So you heard about that? From Angie?" After his friend nodded, Gabriel got out of the pick-up and slammed the door. "Yes, more than that." He opened the back door and Reggie climbed out.

As the three men walked toward the front steps, a man ran from the bushes.

They ran after him. Reggie led the way. When he caught up with the man, he knocked him down.

Gabriel, right behind the large dog, lifted him by the back of the shirt. "Who are you and why were you hiding behind the bushes?"

Brad picked up a broken camera. "I'm guessing taking pictures." He used his radio and requested back-up. He nodded toward Gabriel. "See if Mrs. Riley's all right. I'll be there in a few minutes."

Bill stood beside Gabriel as he knocked on the door. "Kate, it's me."

After Katherine opened the door, she threw her arms around Gabriel's neck. "Thank you."

He held her for a few moments, before he asked, "What happened?" He glanced around the room. "Where's Daisy?"

She stepped back as she watched Bill go into her bedroom. "George's parents returned from a cruise and wanted the boys for the night. This is the first time Jeremy has seen them, and he didn't want to go so I sent Daisy along hoping it'd help."

Bill returned with a robe. "Maybe you should wear this." He held it as she put her arms in the sleeves.

As she tied the belt around her slender waist, she said, "Sorry. I wasn't thinking."

Grinning, Bill added, "I figured you wore negligees, being all girlie-girlie-and-all, but old fashioned pajamas need robes too. It won't just be us friends. The police will be here in a few minutes."

Katherine's eyes widened. "Police? I didn't call the police."

"I did. You called at two-forty-seven and sounded scared so I called Bill, then got thinking about it and thought we might need the police. I called my friend on the force, Brad."

"Thank you. It makes sense." Her eyes met Gabriel's and moisture filled them. "I'm sorry."

He took her in his arms. "We'll discuss that later. Right now let's discuss tonight." After she dried her eyes and sat, Gabriel joined her and held her hand. "Start from the beginning."

"I heard the front door knob jingle. At first I thought it was the wind."

"Did it wake you?"

Katherine shook her head. "I couldn't sleep, because...anyway I was awake. It scared me, and then I heard it jingle again." She glanced toward the bedroom. "It stopped and then a flashlight shone in my bedroom window. I sneaked my phone under the covers and called you."

Her eyes widened at a knock on the door. "Who's that?"

Bill went to the door. "I'm guessing the police. They have a few questions." He asked Brad to come inside.

Gabriel stood. "Katherine, I'm sure you remember Officer Brad Owens."

"Hello, nice to see you again." She turned toward Gabriel.

Gabriel motioned toward the couch. "Katherine's explaining what happened."

Brad opened his notepad. "I'm glad Gabriel called. Coach told me about the P.I. watching the house and taking pictures. Tonight he crossed the line into voyeurism."

Katherine tilted her head. "But...I don't understand. Voyeurism has to do with watching sexual behavior. I was trying to sleep, not having sex."

Checking his notes, Brad continued, "True. Somehow the P.I. found out you were alone and figured it'd be a good opportunity to catch you and your gentlemen friend in the act."

"Why? Gabriel and I are friends. There's nothing serious between us. Besides how did he discover the boys were gone? This whole thing was last minute. I didn't know my in-laws were in town until they showed up on my doorstep. Even though we moved back home, it never occurred to me I'd see them. They travel most of the time."

Gabriel patted her hand. "I don't believe in coincidences. I'm guessing there's a connection between them asking for the boys overnight, Frost, and the P.I. We just don't know what it is. I'll check with my parents tomorrow. Maybe they know one."

"I'll talk with Mom." Katherine paused. "Maybe the P.I. saw the boys loading up in the car and took advantage of the situation."

Brad tapped his notepad with his pen. "I'm curious why you called Coach instead of the police?"

Katherine fidgeted with her hands before she answered, "Because I was scared, and he was the first person who came to mind." Her focus continued on her hands.

Gabriel reached over and took a hand. "It's okay. I'm glad you called."

Bill tapped his buddy's back. "Brad, anymore questions?"

"Not now. If I think of any, I'll come back." He stood and pointed toward the window. "Don't go around the outside of that window until I return in the morning. I want to take a mold of the footprints and check for fingerprints." He turned toward the front door. "Has anybody touched the outside knob?"

Katherine shook her head. "No, I opened it from the inside."

"I'll be right back. I need to go to my car." Brad left and returned with a fingerprint kit. "I'm hoping he didn't wear gloves. Even though he was practically caught in the act and confessed, evidence still helps."

Gabriel stood. "Has he named anybody besides Frost? My gut says Frost's just a pawn."

Brad nodded. "I'm beginning to agree." He glanced at Katherine. "You don't have any enemies, do you?"

"None that I know. Other than Mr. Frost I don't know of anybody even upset with me." Katherine faced Gabriel. "Well, he's upset with me right now."

Facing Gabriel, Brad chuckled. "Mrs. Riley, I'll be by first thing in the morning."

After Brad left, Bill walked to the door. "I'll wait in the truck. Take as long as you need."

Both Katherine and Gabriel stood and watched him leave.

Following a silence, Gabriel studied Katherine for a few moments. "I'm not upset with you, but your lack of trust hurts." He glanced at his watch. "It's too late to discuss it now. We both need sleep. I'll be by first thing tomorrow, and we'll talk. Hopefully before the boys return."

"My in-laws said it'd be after lunch before they brought them back."

"Good. That should give us plenty of time." Gabriel opened his arms. "Come here." When she went into them, he held her and then said, "Good night."

"Good night." Katherine double checked to make sure the door locked after he left.



CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazines



Recognized

#3
June
2021


Thank you google images for the photo of a man spying through a window with a camera. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. I made changes again as I posted. Again, I hope I didn't make it worse. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1200 words. Thank you for having patience with me.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.