General Non-Fiction posted June 1, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
200 word flash fiction

We Are All Thankful

by Leann DS

200 Word Story Contest Winner 


Anna was born the fourth of five daughters in 1919 to a family of immigrants who spoke only Sicilian. Each of the daughters maintained a working knowledge of their first language but spoke primarily English as they grew up.

Anna taught her daughter, granddaughter, and great-granddaughter some songs sung in her childhood language. As she neared the end of her life, not unlike many, Anna developed dementia which eventually caused her to be non-responsive and mostly nonverbal.

On the last Thanksgiving before she died, Anna had dinner with her daughter's family. She did not speak. She did not smile. Everyone did their best to create two-way communication with her to no avail.

While driving Her back to the care home, her granddaughter and Great-granddaughter tried one more idea to encourage Anna to react in some way. They began to belt out Anna's favorite childhood song.

Twisting her body to face the singers, with wide eyes full of delight and a grin brightening her face, she sang, "Figghia mia, a cu te dari
Mamma mia pensaci tu...."

When the song was finished, still laughing, Anna said through her smile, the last words her family would ever hear from her. "Thank you,"


Writing Prompt
Write a story of 200 words. not including the title. Any subject accepted. Must be exactly 200 words.

200 Word Story
Contest Winner


For one version of the song sung by Anna and her grandchildren, go to:

https://youtu.be/i-bFmxjugQs
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lucien van Oosten at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Leann DS All rights reserved.
Leann DS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.