Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted June 1, 2021 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Stages and audiences

A chapter in the book Memories of This World

Memories of this World, ch. 9

by estory

During my teenage years, I would sometimes help my father changing movie screens in old theatres. The old screens had to be unlaced from their frames and then the new screens had to be laced in their place. To reach the top of the screen frames required a scaffold and I would help my father carry the pieces from his van into the theatre and assemble them on the stage. Then he would climb up and work on the lacings while I pushed him across the stage from below.

The theatres were always empty, of course. From the stage I would look out over the rows and rows of empty seats stretching back up towards the lobby. Each one of them seemed to hold faded memories of boys on their first dates kissing their girlfriends; mothers sitting with kids holding their bags of popcorn; friends looking up at the flickering action taking place on the screen; lonely people sitting by themselves in corners.

The projectionist appeared from a door in the back of the theatre with a roll of film under his arm and made his way up to the projection booth. I wondered to myself how many movies he had brought up there: Fantasia, Bullet, The Outlaw Josie Wales, The Sound of Music, The Planet of the Apes, The Man with the Golden Gun. How many audiences had come and gone out into the night, leaving those rows of chairs behind. Like ghosts that could not speak of what they had seen or felt, they stared back at me.

I could imagine all those people sitting in those chairs, watching me on that stage. What could I do to impress them? Recite one of my poems? Sing a song? What would they think of that?

The answer was silence.

In the end, before any audience could witness the feat, the new screen had been installed and I had made my performance, my contribution to the stage, somewhere in an upstate or south Jersey town, on an unannounced date.




The idea for this piece came from those memories of working in those old twin movie theatres with my dad and my cousin in my younger days. Changing screens, hanging drapes in those empty theatres was an eerie experience. Out there in the theatre were all these empty chairs that had held the people who had come to the theatre for entertainment or escape, for romance or excitement or diversion; people who came from all kinds of places and then went back just as mysteriously as they had come. Of course when up on those empty stages one can't help but to dream of finding one's own fame there, of burning oneself into the memories of someone out there. But in the end, for most of us, its not singing or dancing or making a spectacle of ourselves in some way through some talent that makes us precious to the world. It's these simple, behind the scenes things that people often take for granted, that enable us to make our contributions. estory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. estory All rights reserved.
estory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.