Romance Fiction posted May 14, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A script about a couple getting to know one another.

Down to the Last Dollar

by GollyGreen32


CHARACTERS

JENNA: Jenna is intelligent and bubbly and works as a taste tester for a national pizza chain at
its U.S. headquarters. She wears stretchy leggings, sweaters, or t-shirts to feel comfortable.

BENJAMIN: Benjamin is kind and sensitive, but never plans anything romantic. He owns a
popular local bar called Ben's Tavern.

SETTINGS: Inside a Last Dollar store and at the bar in Ben's Tavern

FADE IN: JENNA and BENJAMIN dressed in winter jackets and hats, walking into the Last Dollar dollar store.

BENJAMIN
(Grabs a basket)
I love to come here with my nieces. This is my favorite dollar store, so you understand that means this is serious.

JENNA
(Smiles and waves her hand toward the aisles, which are devoid of people)
Clearly. Lead the way. You're encouraging my unbridled love of a bargain.

BENJAMIN
I just had a thought. Let's play a game.

JENNA
(Laughs)
What kind of game?

BENJAMIN
A game that I play with Athena and Aurora occasionally. Do you have a couple of bucks?

JENNA
(Pulls some one-dollar bills out of her jacket pocket and counts them)
I have six dollars.

BENJAMIN
(Smiles)
The game is that we spend no more than three dollars and 10 minutes buying presents for each other.

JENNA
You're on.
(Slides her cell phone from her other jacket pocket)
Let's synchronize our watches.

BENJAMIN
Let's
(Sets his basket on the floor and pulls his cell phone from his jacket pocket)
JENNA and BENJAMIN set the timers on their cell phones.

BENJAMIN
Ready, Se..

JENNA
(Holds up a finger)
Wait!
(SHE grabs a basket and faces BENJAMIN.)
Now I'm ready.

BENJAMIN
Ready. Set.

JENNA and BENJAMIN start their cell phone timers.

BENJAMIN
Go!

JENNA and BENJAMIN run down the different aisles, scanning the shelves and putting things in their baskets. THEY go to separate self-check out lines and pay for their items. THEY meet outside on the sidewalk.

BENJAMIN
Let's walk the couple of blocks to my bar. I'm not open yet, so we can open our gifts and have a glass of wine in a quiet place. You want to?

JENNA
(Nods)
Sounds great.

JENNA wraps her arm through BENJAMIN's arm, and THEY walk toward Ben's Tavern.

FADE OUT: END OF SCENE 1

FADE IN: JENNA and BENJAMIN face each other on their bar stools with their glasses of wine on the bar.

BENJAMIN
(HE runs his hand through his hair. (He grabs his bag from the Last Dollar dollar store off the bar and hands it to JENNA.)
I'm really not this cheap. I promise. I just like dollar stores because they represent possibly on the simplest level. Everything is within reach. Especially at this time of year.

JENNA
That's such a true and sweet thought, Ben.
(SHE opens the bag and removes a plastic necklace and bracelet set and a crossword puzzle book)
Purple! My favorite color. I love crosswords too.

BENJAMIN
(Laughs)
I know.

JENNA
(Opens the jewelry set and puts them on)
(Giggles)
Thank you, Ben. These will go with most of my outfits. The crossword puzzle book, well, I am a word nerd and will probably bury my face in it until I finish every puzzle.
(SHE leans forward and kisses BENJAMIN on the mouth, long and softly.)

BENJAMIN
(Smiles and strokes her cheek)
You're welcome.

JENNA grabs her Last Dollar store bag off the bar and gives it to BENJAMIN.

BENJAMIN
(Opens the bag and pulls out a string of party lights in the shape of red Solo cups and a bag of toy soldiers. Stretches out the string of lights)
Perfect! I'll hang these behind the bar.
(Sets the lights on the bar and picks up the bag of toy soldiers)
These bad boys I'll set up at home. I'm still a kid at heart sometimes.

JENNA
(Laughs)
I know.

BENJAMIN
(Leans forward and kisses JENNA on the mouth, long and softly)
Merry Christmas, Jenna.

JENNA
Merry Christmas, Ben.

FADE OUT



A Romantic Conversation contest entry


I had fun writing this script. I love dollar stores myself, and I and my granddaughter love to shop in them just for fun sometimes. It's a great stress reliever for me to just go in the store and browse, and maybe buy a small surprise for anyone in my family.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.