General Fiction posted May 24, 2021 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cal and Cris meet, and join the team.

A chapter in the book The Walkers

The Team Assembles

by papa55mike




Background
Gabriel Hope leads a formidable team of Angels and Walkers through the Spirit Realm on a dangerous mission to India.

The end of Chapter 2

Cal reaches for the door with her left hand leaving the right hand free. Ben starts his hand forward, and Cal turns, catching his hand by the fingers. Her hand almost swallows his. Cal takes his fingers and jerks them back towards the ground; she can hear some tendons snap in his wrist while he's falling to his knees in extreme pain. Tears creep from the corner of his eyes.

"I should throat punch right now!" Cal hollers. "But that would not be showing you the love of Jesus." She jerks his hand down again. "You need to learn how to respect a woman before something bad happens to you."

Cal tosses him away like a paper sack, then turns to glare at his partner. She opens the door and hears the cashier howling with laughter. Ben and Jim stumble all over themselves, trying to get away.

Cris

The man lowers his gun, reaches over, and plops the cash on the counter. He slowly backs out the door, runs to his truck then flies out of the parking lot.

Cris laughs, then turns to the cashier. "Are you all right, sweetie?"

"I think so, but I could sure use a bathroom break."

"Go ahead; I'm not going anywhere."


Chapter 3

Cal


When Cal steps through the door of the store, the cashier yells, "Child, those two perverts have had that coming for a long time. I wish you would have broken a couple of those fingers off and put them where the sun doesn't shine."


Cal smiles at the older black woman in long purple braids. She looks deep into her eyes; they've seen a lot of hard living. "I didn't want to hurt him, but sometimes it takes a little force to prove a point." Cal turns toward the coolers.

The young woman he slapped on the bottom is standing there. "Thank you for having the courage to stand up to them."

"You're welcome." Cal smiles. "You have that courage also, deep inside."

When Cal comes out of the market, she looks around for Ben and Jim. There's not a trace of them. She slowly walks to the highway, silently praying. Thank you, Father, for allowing me to be a blessing for those women. In return, they blessed me with breakfast: two cereal bars and two bottles of water.

The Holy Spirit draws Cal to Tennessee Highway 186N across the four-lane. Why do I feel the journey comes to an end down this road?

There are a few wonders along this endless two-lane road that's supposed to be a Highway. Daylillies are beginning to bloom along the fencelines of the farms. Many species of birds are searching for food in the fields. Chickadees, Cardinals, Robins, and Bluebirds, to name a few. 

Cal spots an old white church with a towering steeple; she walks into the parking lot to read the sign above the double doors. Eldad Baptist Church, founded on January 28, 1828. She thinks, now that's a church with a rich history. 

Suddenly, the voice of the Lord erupts in her mind. "Yes, my daughter, they do have a rich history. I know you want some clarity, and you will find it at the next church. I have dear friends waiting on your arrival."

She falls to her knees in prayer. "I'm sorry for doubting You, Father. Please forgive me."

Cal rises and continues her journey.

~

Cris

Cris goes to the cooler to grabs a couple of bottled waters; he turns as the cashier comes out of the bathroom. Cris smiles at her flowing blonde hair draped across her shoulders and the aroma of freshly applied perfume. 

He saunters up to the counter and notices that her blouse shows a lot more cleavage than before. Cris starts to hand the cashier a five-dollar bill when she leans across the counter and kisses his cheek. "Those are on the house, sweetie. Besides, I get off work in thirty minutes, and I'd love to cook you breakfast at my apartment. We could have some fun afterward. If you know what I mean."

"Well, I wish I could."

"It doesn't matter if you're married; your wife would never have to know."

"If my wife and son were still alive," Cris chuckles. "I wouldn't be here now."

The color slowly drains from her face. "I feel like a fool." She bites her lower lip. "How did they die?"

"In a plane crash; three years ago, but it seems like yesterday."

"I hope you don't think I'm a whore; throwing myself at every man coming in the door. But I'm so lonely, and you're special. I can see it in those big brown eyes."

"So are you; I can see it those beautiful blue eyes. God will bring you the right man soon." Cris picks up the two bottles of water and flashes his best smile. "I'll be thinking of you when I lay my head down tonight."

"You better!" Her eyes sparkle.

Cris cracks up and says, "Help me, Lord!" Then walks out the door.

Walking down the street, Cris sees Tennessee Highway 186N - an outpouring of the Holy Spirit fills his mind. The sign beside it says, Gibson, 6 Miles. "I'd say I'm going to Gibson, Tennessee. Guide me, Lord."

~

Gabe walks out the back of Second Chance Church and takes a deep breath. "Another great day to be alive." He sees Michael kneeling under the Oak, praying. 

Michael nods his head and smiles. "Yes, Father. I will, thank You." He slowly rises and sees Gabe approaching. "The Father sends His love, Gabriel."

"I need nothing else, and He always has mine."

"Our friends, Cris and Cal, will be here in a couple of hours. Both of them are mighty warriors."

Gabe sits down under the tree. "Tell me what you know about them."

"Cal is perfect for this mission. Her love for young women enslaved in prostitution to their masters knows no bounds. I believe they call their masters pimps. Cal has rescued young women from the streets all over California."

"A woman walker? She must be powerful."

"She is. Cris is much like you, a lone wolf and a terrific shot with a handgun. I think he has worked with every police department in North and South Carolina. We will make a formidable team."

"Yes, we will, with you leading the way."

"No, Gabriel, I need you to lead, to hide my appearance as long as I can. That will keep the enemy from mounting a full-on attack."

"Then lead, I will, Michael." Gabe's smile is wide.

Two hours later.

Gabe, Pete, and Micheal stand at the entrance of Second Chance Church, and they're watching the two figures on the road. One approaching from the east and one from the west.

A feeling washes over Cris. "I'm here, but who is this beautiful woman in front of me?"

Cal thinks out loud. "These are the friends the Lord spoke about."

Both of them stop at the entrance, stunned, then turn to Gabe, Michael, and Pete. Micheal steps forward and says, "Welcome, Cal Cummings and Cris Turner. You are among friends. My name is Michael, and this is Gabriel Hope and Pastor Pete Helms."

Cris is too stunned to speak, so Cal asks, "How do you know our names?"

Gabe speaks up. "Have you ever heard of Michael in the Bible?"

Cris answers, "Yes, The Arch Angel and General of the Lord's armies."

Gabe shakes his head and answers, "Bingo."





The Cast of Characters.

Gabriel Hope
At six feet, six inches tall, 295 pounds, Gabe is a 20 year veteran of the Army Rangers, and he's been walking for the Lord for 23 years.

Michael
His massive size varies on the situation. The Arch Angel from Heaven, Prince of God, Commander of the Lord's Armies. He has been Gabe's friend for many years after recruiting him for battles in the Spirit Realm.

Cal Cummings
At six feet, two, 200 pounds, Cal graduated with a degree in Theology from Vanderbilt University five years ago, where she starred in Volleyball and is an Olympic champion archer. Cal was working in the mission fields of Africa with her parents until bandits killed them in a brutal attack. Cal barely escaped.

Cris Turner
At six feet tall, 220 pounds, Cris has a Master's degree in Criminal Science and Theology. He is also an excellent shot with his Colt 45 model #1911. He started walking for the Lord three years ago when Cris's family was killed in a plane crash. Cris missed the flight.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.