General Non-Fiction posted May 10, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Adventure in a small town

The Train Trestle

by Janet Foor



"Let's ask Mom if we can go for a walk." On that summer afternoon in 1955 it was hot, sultry and we had nothing to do. My cousin Viola Ann and I certainly did not want to tell my mom how bored we were, this seemed the best thing to do.

Mom nodded, "If your chores are done you may go." Not wanting to hear if she changed her mind and found something else for us to do, we left quickly.

Giggling, we hurried along Highland Ave, to North Main Street and on, right through town. We passed Young's Furniture Store but stopped at the movie theater. The upcoming features were 'Lady and the Tramp' and 'Oklahoma.' Excitedly we agreed that we would be allowed to go to both of them.

Once across the Brokenstraw Bridge, we hurried past the 'pool hall'. "Mom always says not to dawdle here" I reminded Viola Ann, as we furtively glanced in that direction, hoping the door would open and we might see inside.

At the Five and Dime we stopped for some chewing gum. I got Tutti Frutti, and yuck! my cousin got Blackjack.

All the way down West Main Street, we played 'Don't Step on a Crack or you'll Break Your Mother's Back.' We didn't stop until we reached where the sidewalk ended near the Rouse Home or as it was commonly called, 'The old folk's home'.

Viola Ann had an idea. "Let's go across the field and walk home on the railroad tracks. Come on". With a gleam of mischief in our eyes, we hurried across the field and climbed up the bank onto the tracks.

I walked the rails with outstretched arms, just like on a balance beam. Viola Anne jumped from railroad tie to railroad tie, skipping one each time she jumped. All the while we were singing Chattanooga Choo Choo at the top of our lungs. Then, I thought I felt something. Something rather like vibrations. We stopped and looked around, shook our heads because we couldn't see anything.

The train trestle was just ahead. "Let's race," Viola Ann yelled as we made a beeline to see who would get there first. I won!

When we were halfway across the bridge, we heard the whistle of a train. Looking back down the tracks, we could see the smoke. "It must be coming from the engine." I yelled.

Grabbing each other's hands, we ran as fast as we could, not stopping until we reached the other side of the bridge. Jumping into the tall grass we rolled down the embankment. The train clanged and trundled across the bridge right on by us. We lay in the soft turf panting, and looking up into the bright blue sky, feeling very thankful to be alive.

After a few minutes, we gathered ourselves up and headed back to Highland Ave. But not before making a pact with each other. Never, ever would we tell anyone what we did today and never, ever would we sing Chattanooga Choo Choo again.



Recognized


Another adventure in a small town when I was about 11. One that my mother never learned about or I would have been sitting in my room for the next month.
Truly, we were so scared that we never even talked to each other about it after that day.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janet Foor All rights reserved.
Janet Foor has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.