Family Non-Fiction posted May 5, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A story about a boy and his grandfather, fishing.

A Fish Story

by William Stephenson1

My grandpa loves to fish. I can remember when he took me fishing for the first time. I was just five years old. We were going to fish in a large pond that was known for Bass and Catfish.

Papi, (that's what I call my Grandpa) had brought everything we would need to go fishing. He gave me a fantastic fishing pole and some of the biggest worms I had ever seen! We got to the edge of the pond and I could tell that Papi was beaming with pride that he and his grandson were going to fish together.

Papi, is not only a good fisherman, but he also has a disease called Parkinson's. As he began to bait our hooks I could tell that Papi was having a hard time. Sometimes, his Parkinson's will take charge of him. In this case, his hands began to shake so bad he couldn't bait our hooks no matter how hard he tried.

I could tell that he was very upset because he had tears in his eyes as his hands shook from his disease. He said, "Noah, I wanted this to be such a special time together, but I don't know what to do unless you bait the hooks."

"Papi, take my hand and together we will make your shaking stop. Just take my hand." I held our hands close to my chest and I said, "Papi, you will be okay."

His shaking stopped. He looked at me with such love. Together, we were able to get those huge worms on our hooks and we threw our lines into the water. Suddenly, my line snapped so hard that my pole nearly went into the water. Papi grabbed it and he put it back into my hands.

Slowly, our hands brought in what would be the biggest bass ever caught from this pond. I turned to Papi and said, "See, Papi, when we put our hands together miracles happen."

It's my fish story, but it's really a story about a man I will always love. My Papi.



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.

Recognized


This is a true story that took place a few years ago and Noah frequently recalls it. Especially whenever we go fishing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. William Stephenson1 All rights reserved.
William Stephenson1 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.