General Fiction posted May 2, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Haibun

Different Lens

by zanya


As I open the car door, I realise I've forgotten something. Reaching for the hand sanitizer in the glove compartment reminds me. It is my mask. Opening the porch door, I reach for a mask, no, two masks since there is a myriad of virus variants about.
There is a chill in the air, despite it being already April. My double mask fogs up my glasses as I drive.
Hastily I remove the masks. Arriving at the supermarket, I again don my double mask and wait my turn in the queue. Dawdling in the aisles is not encouraged. Customers check shopping lists on mobile phones. An elderly gentleman consults a crumbled piece of yellow paper in his hand. He needs the store assistant's help to find a product. His mask muffles his tones. We figure out where the checkout queue begins and ends as we glance down to find the yellow 2metre marking on the floor. Surrounded by a perspex screen, the supermarket cashier's eyes flash a welcoming smile behind her mask. Eyes spell out our emotions. New world order.
 
learning novel ways
to negotiate our world
we sometimes teeter

                                                                                              *******************************************




Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.