General Fiction posted April 28, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A fun family vacation turns deadly when a disease outbreaks

The Deadliest Infection

by Gracie seals

It was June 19th, 2014, a fun family vacation turns deadly.

A business man by the name of Richard decides to take his family on a summer vacation, prior to this Richard and his wife Lauren saved quite a bit of money for this family trip so they could have lots of fun. Richard and Lauren had four kids by the names of Melania, Leo, Carrie, and Misty. Leo was 15, Melania was 17, Carrie was 13, and Misty was 6.

Richard and Lauren discussed many places to go but they both settled on traveling to China, specifically Shanghai, China because they found the most tourist attractions there. In Shanghai there was one of the largest indoor waterparks in China, and also the food is described as spectacular!

June 11th 2014, SanFrancisco, California, the whole family had packed up and headed to the airport to board the plane, then everyone got seated and waited the next few hours for the plane to land in central Shanghai. Finally the moment they all waited for, their luxury hotel room! it had all the amenities from swimming pools and hot tubs, to gyms and tennis courts it had everything, even a breakfast room!

It was the next day they decided to visit the largest indoor waterpark in China, it was so big they could barley see the end of it, for the majority of the time everyone spent there Carrie played with Misty at the splash pad, meanwhile Leo and Melania found some of the biggest waterslides they offered, Richard and Lauren just relaxed as the kids played it was quite peaceful.

Later that day the whole family went to get ice cream at a local creamery, Richard has been to China on business trips so he can partly speak Chinese making it easier to order food and communicate with individuals.

June 18th, 2014, today they were just going to enjoy the amenities that the hotel offered, but Misty wanted to go to the kids park across the street so Carrie and Melania stayed at the pool to hangout, Leo went out to the gym while Lauren and Richard took Misty to the park.

Leo realized people coughing it was it was quite peculiar, later that day Melania was sent to go buy pizza for dinner as she was awaiting her turn in line she also saw quite a few people coughing which was unsettling since she was at an eating establishment but she went along with it and brought the food to the hotel.

June 19th, 2014, it was 5:00am a very loud siren went off it was startling, then government officials came on the speaker and explained that no persons are to leave the country of China or city they are in at that moment, one could only imagine the fright this brought.

After a few minutes Richard started to come up with a plan to find information, as soon as he was about to leave the building military men started swarming the streets making it near impossible to leave, on top of that others were trying to break into the building.

A few hours later things started to get worse... now Richard knew he had to get his family out of there, so they all ran to the very top of the building and found a fire escape stairwell that led to an underground bunker.

In this underground bunker there was an older gentleman by the name of David, while the whole city was in a panic David was saving supplies for example, non-perishable foods.

At that time no one could be trusted so naturally they were suspicious, as they got acquainted with David he showed them a way to get out and away from people.

It had only been a couple of hours since the incident started but, infected looking people were everywhere! Little did they know of this infection, of this disease.

Its called Phylosenthyine disease, it starts by disintegrating your organs then it gives a burning rash in your throat if not treated by the time it reaches your mouth and starts breaking out of your skin in boils, you will die in a matter if hours.

This unusual disease is caused by the overpopulation of pigeons, in that particular year the population of them was a lot more dense than previous years. This disease can also be spread into certain foods.

It all starts in their feathers, in summer the pigeon bird feathers let off a toxin that is only toxic in large quantities, when in large quantities the toxins come alive and organisms start to grow, therefore upbringing a new disease.

Once they got out of the tunnel Lauren found a Taxi on the corner and it was vacant so they took it, as they were speeding away as fast as possible another speaker came on and notified the people that everyone is ordered to come to a testing site and become quarantined.

The Chinese military rounded everyone up to a certain area out of the city. Dead people were laying in the streets, blood everywhere popping out of their skin, rashes spreading from their mouthes.

No one had a clue just how contagious this disease really was. They had now arrived at the testing site, Melanie realized that Misty and Leo were coughing in that moment she thought to herself "What if they have this disease?" "What if they get taken away?" she felt it was now her duty as their older sister to keep them from being taken away.

After waiting in line for what seemed like forever it was now their turn to get tested, Melanie had a plan she knew it was selfish but she couldn't bear to part with her siblings.

But it was too late she couldn't do anything but let them get tested, unfortunately all the kids had it even Melanie she didn't show symptoms because it was at its early stage. They didn't want to leave their parents but they were forced to.

As you could imagine it was horrifying to leave their parents to get quarantined in a foreign country as minors. Lauren and Richard were assured that the Chinese Government was doing all they could to find an antidote.

The kids were surrounded by infected people the smell was pure death it was absolutely sickening. Meanwhile, Lauren and Richard found an opening in the plastic tents and got their kids out.

They ran and ran but it seemed like their was not escape. Leo fell to the ground "my stomach hurts" he exclaimed, his vision began to blur, he became so lethargic. Lauren was a RN so she quickly checked his pulse but before they knew it... he didn't have a pulse.

Sadly there was no time to grieve for their loss so they had to leave him, about three hours later Misty complained that her stomach was hurting Lauren would not let another one of her children die, so she did everything she possibly could to save Misty before time ran out.

Lauren has been an RN for 9 years so she put her skills to work, Lauren found an infected person on the street and got her med kit, extracted anti bodies from this person,
and gave them to Misty, She would now wait and see if Mistys immune system would hold up.

everyone slept in the car they found, but Lauren couldn't help but think if she had been a better nurse would Leo still be there? Melanie thought she failed as Leos big sister and they were pretty close almost like best friends Melanie didn't know how she could live with herself.

The next morning Misty was sleeping but then she wouldn't wake up, she had no pulse, the anti bodies weren't strong enough. Now having lost two of their family members it was devastating.

No one had eaten in a while so that day they were going to find some food, but honestly they were all too sad to eat anything and who know if any food from there was contaminated, but they knew if they didn't eat they would become sick.

They all split up to look for food, and guess who they ran into? David! he had been cooking some food over a fire in the middle of the forest and was generous to share. As everyone ate their energy started to come back! That chicken must have been good, at they hope it was chicken.

They went back to their car to rest up a bit, but everyone was feeling very nauseous after the meal they shared with David. Lauren thought "could the food have been contaminated?"

It started to get a lot more serious when they start getting a burning in their throats, and bloody boils on their skin. In a matter of hours they would all pass away.

What would happen to the country of China?
What would happen to the people?
Will this disease ever go away?
Would they find a cure? We won't know.






Horror Writing Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gracie seals All rights reserved.
Gracie seals has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.