Romance Fiction posted April 25, 2021 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Katherine attends her first football since high school.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 15 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The band played while the staff members returned to their seats. Gabriel nodded. "Now, for the coaching staff. You can't have a winning team without winning coaches. So I'll introduce my help." Once he finished, the varsity football players came to the front and one-by-one announced the position they played. Afterward the band director, the band, and finally the cheerleading coach and the cheerleaders were named. He turned the pep rally over to them.

*****
As Katherine headed home, Gabriel caught up with her and handed her a T-shirt. "I didn't think you had a school T-shirt. You'll need to wear this tonight." He scratched his chin. "I didn't know the size. It's probably too big. I figured it was better than possibly being too small."

Katherine held it up and smiled. "It may be a little large, but you're right too tight wouldn't be good." She paused. "You don't let the boys leave the school before the games, do you?"

"No. I think its better they remain at school. There's no possibility of them getting into trouble. Matter-of-fact, I need to get back."

"Okay, what time should I be here?"

"Probably around six."

"I'll be there. Are jeans okay?"

"Of course. See you then." Gabriel walked away.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 15 part 2

A few minutes before six o'clock, Katherine and three of her boys arrived at the football stadium. She stood in the parking lot and stared.

Joshua touched her arm. "Mom, are you okay?"

"Yes, this field is named after your grandpa, Bob Beck Field. I never expected to attend a football game here, let alone working during one."

"Why? I don't understand."

"When I grew up, football ruled my life. I practically grew up on a football field. I swore I'd never have anything to do with football. Then you guys came along and all love football, so here I am."

"Don't forget Coach Hudson."

Why would Gabriel have anything to do with it? Katherine took Jeremy's hand. "Let's go."

She had the boys sit on the second row of section C. It wasn't long before the team ran out single file and started warming up.

Gabriel spotted her and nodded in her direction.

After she smiled back, she watched him walk to the other half of the field. Dad used to do that. He always wanted to check-out the opponent.

On the way to his team's sideline, Gabriel stopped in front of the stands where Katherine and the boys sat.

She leaned over the railing. "Can I help you?"

He grinned. "I thought I'd better warn you. I can get animated during the game."

"Oh really?" she teased. "I figured you did. I've heard rumors about your need to win."

His eyebrows rose. "Huh, I wonder how those started."

Jeremy tapped his mom's arm. "Is it time to eat? I'm hungry."

Katherine glanced at her watch. "I think so. Just give me a minute." Her eyes met Gabriel's. "I have a feeling they're more than rumors."

Gabriel grinned. "You could be right." He reached up and touched Jeremy's hand and then pointed to his right. "At the Quarterback Club's concession stand they have the best Frito Pie and your grandma works there. You might want to go, if your mom will let you. The one on this end is closer."

"Mom, can I go please. I'll take Joshua with me."

"But will you listen to and stay with him?"

"I will. I promise. Really I do."

"I guess, but if you mess up, you won't be going back. Do you understand?"

"Yes, yes."

"Okay. Just give me a minute." Her attention went back to Gabriel. "You started something. You know that, don't you?"

He nodded. "I know. How much trouble can he get into?"

"I'll let you know later." Katherine hesitated. "Good luck tonight."

He lifted his cap, ran his hand through his short hair, replaced the cap, and glanced toward the other team. "We got this." He noticed the coaches sent the team toward the locker room. "It's time for me to do my thing." Jogging, he followed the team.

*****
The opposing band played as the visiting team ran single file onto the football field. After they finished, Silver Cove High School's fight song began as the team rammed through a large football helmet with smoke blowing from it. Coach Hudson led the way.

Then Harold, the announcer said, "This is Texas High School Football, and in this state we sing The Star Spangled Banner loud and proud."

Harold still announces the games. I guess things don't change.
Katherine turned toward the boys and reminded them to set their food down and stand.

Jeremy shoved another bite of Frito Pie into his mouth. "Coach was right. This is really good."

She put her finger to her lips. "Shh."

After the band finished, Katherine walked back-and-forth in section C. Angie was at section B and walked to her. "Just wanted to let you know that Gabriel struggles controlling his temper during games."

Katherine nodded. "He warned me that he gets animated."

Angie laughed. "That's a polite way of saying it."

"I'm used to it. Dad used to get animated. If he had a bad game, I stayed in my room the following day."

"So you understand." She noticed a group of students standing in the aisle. "I'd better get back."

The time clock started at kick off.

Four minutes into the first quarter, Silver Cove scored and got the extra point. It was zero-to-seven.

At the end of the first quarter, the other team got a field goal. It was now three-to-seven.

Immediately at the beginning of the second quarter, the quarterback threw a pass to Jordan. He was tackled and a yellow flag thrown.

Katherine jumped up and put her fist in front of her mouth and jerked down, yelling, "Facemask!"

Bill tapped Gabriel and pointed. "She knows the game."

Gabriel laughed. "Why wouldn't she? Coach Beck was her dad. She could probably coach better than me." He huddled the team.

The last minute before half-time, the quarterback passed to Jordan again. This time he ran the ball in for a touchdown.

Katherine jumped up-and-down and cheered.

As the team huddled, Gabriel glanced at Katherine and grinned.

The boys took the field for the extra point. Gabriel nodded at the quarterback, who then called cadence. They went for a two-point conversion and made it.

Harold screamed. "Wow! And in the first game! Coach Hudson must be confident in these boys. What was he thinking? What other tricks does he have up his sleeve this year? It's going to be a fun year."

The fans in the stadium jumped up-and-down while they cheered.

The score at half-time was three-to-fifteen.

Katherine sighed. "What was he thinking?"

Joshua took a drink of his soda. "Mom, did you see that?"

"Maybe he wanted to try it before conference play starts."

The final score was nine-to-twenty-nine.






CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a football teams running onto the field before a game. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little under a 1000 words. I removed and entire paragraph, so I hope something isn't lacking. Thank you for having patience with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.