General Poetry posted April 22, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
haiku for earth day contest

Love Songs

by June Sargent

songs of whales echo
through pristine sapphire waters -
soulful serenade



Earth Day haiku writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a modern haiku (i.e. up to 17 syllables, one to four lines, any haiku technique).
Your haiku should include one or two plant(s) and/or animal(s).
Please avoid cats and dogs.
And please don't mention Earth Day in the body of your haiku.
Happy haikuing!


Song of the humpback whale
Two groups of whales, the humpback whale and the subspecies of blue whale found in the Indian Ocean, are known to produce a series of repetitious sounds at varying frequencies known as whale song. Marine biologist Philip Clapham describes the song as "probably the most complex in the animal kingdom."

Male humpback whales perform these vocalizations often during the mating season, and so it is believed the purpose of songs is to aid mate selection.

Interest in whale song was aroused by researchers Roger Payne and Scott McVay after the songs were brought to their attention by a Bermudian named Frank Watlington who was working for the US government at the SOFAR station listening for Russian submarines with underwater hydrophones off the coast of the island. Payne released the best-selling Songs of the Humpback Whale in 1970, and the whale songs were quickly incorporated into human music by, among others, singer Judy Collins.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.