Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 16, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Unhappy birthday girl cheered by greetings

Duty Calls-10 Minutes Well Spent

by Elizabeth Emerald


The one birthday I unfailingly remember is Sandra's.

For the 14 years I've known her (as a fellow food-pantry volunteer) Sandra has never failed to (repeatedly) remind me, and whichever unfortunate bystanders are in ear-SHOUT, that her birthday is April 16th.

Sandra is not, euphemistically speaking, well-liked. She is infamously whiny and utterly self-absorbed.

Sandra (don't dare call her "Sandy") is a consummate sour-puss.

If you don't acknowledge her birthday, she'll sulk. 

If you give her a present that she doesn't like (and guaranteed, she won't), she'll say so.

Don't expect a reciprocal card; as far as Sandra is concerned, a birthday is a birthright that belongs to her alone.

Did I say "utterly" self-absorbed?

Scratch the modifier. Better yet, scratch the whole thing.

In fact, Sandra has long been wholly absorbed in the single-handed care of her ailing parents. (Her demented father died last year.)

Sandra's only respites have come (dis)courtesy of her own sundry surgeries: a couple of cancers here and there, as well as a bilateral (prophylactic) mastectomy, and a (benign) brain tumor. 

I called Sandra this afternoon to acknowledge her birthday. I didn't spew insipid words of cheer; I knew that her birthday would not be a happy one.

I was right. Sandra regaled me with her latest surgical travails; stones removed from the left kidney, the right one pending excavation. Next up: spinal fusion.

Sandra relayed her news matter-of-factly then turned her focus to my welfare.

She thanked me profusely for bringing cheer to her day. 

(Did I say whiny? Scratch that.)













 



Recognized


Celebration! by VMarguarite on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.