Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 16, 2021 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Running with nowhere to go -

A chapter in the book On the Edge of Deception

On the Edge of Deception Pg 14

by Begin Again


 









Where did he go? 

 

Her heart was pounding wildly in her chest. She sensed someone lurking in the shadows. Her eyes darted around the pitch-black room, frantically searching. Something moved, and then it was gone.

 

Her breathing was ragged. Her nostrils flared at the smell of stale cigarettes. She coughed. She felt an unshaven face against her tender cheeks and gagged at the smell of his 80-proof breath.

 

Wait! There’s someone with him. The woodsy smell of cologne washed over her. Her stomach churned and twisted into knots. He grabbed her from behind and pinned her to the cot. His left hand pressed against her mouth while his right one ripped her blouse. She struggled to get free. His salacious grin mocked her. “You’re mine, remember?”

 

“No, no, no.” Beth moaned and tossed frantically on her cot. “ Please, stop.” Her voice turned to a whimper,  “Ethan, help me!”

 

The woman next to her reached out and shook her. Beth jerked to an upright position, clutching the thin blanket, shivering in terror. She was confused, disoriented.

 

“It’s alright, honey. You’re having a nightmare.” The woman rolled over on her cot but added, “It’s early. Try to get some sleep.”

 

The delicious aroma of baking bread drifted in the air. Beth heard rattling noises from the kitchen, the preparation of the morning meal. A faint light exposed the hallway and a large red arrow with the word restrooms painted in white. Beth eased off the cot and headed that way.

 

Once inside, she locked the door. It was a small room with a walk-in shower, a sink hanging on the wall, and the commode. A small table held a stack of thread-bare towels and washcloths. Tiny bars of soaps filled a basket. Some combs, toothbrushes, and a can of Febreze filled the rest of the shelf. 

 

A roach scurried across the floor. Beth yanked her backpack up from the floor and hung it on a hook. “Sorry, Mr. Cockroach, I’m traveling light and not with the likes of you.” She shivered and scanned the tiles for any other visitors.

 

She eyed the shower, imagining the warm water cleansing the sweat and grime away. In the end, she settled for a quick wash in the sink. The water wasn’t even lukewarm, but it still felt refreshing. Every sound in the hallway made her jump. She slipped the used bar of soap into her bag; then decided no one would miss another one. She took it and placed it in the zippered pouch, too. 

 

Returning to the dining room, she looked around for Maize. Most everyone was still asleep. A few sat on their cots, listening to music or reading. The kitchen staff had set out baskets of fresh muffins and a bowl of fruit. Beth moved closer to the counter.

 

“Would you like a muffin, dear? How about an orange or a banana?”  A woman behind the counter smiled, the gesture warm and inviting

 

“May I?” Beth shyly asked.

 

“Of course, child. Take whatever you want.” The woman moved the basket of muffins closer to Beth. “ Looks like you’ve missed a few meals.” 

 

Beth nodded and then chose a blueberry muffin. “It smells so good.” 

 

“Freshly baked by yours truly this morning.” She smiled again. “Don’t forget some fruit for later.”

She turned and walked back toward the kitchen area.

 

Beth looked around to see if anyone was watching, then shoved a banana and an orange into the backpack. With no sighting of Maize, she moved toward the door. People were waking up and roaming around the room. Beth felt uncomfortable and stepped outside..

 

As she stepped out onto the sidewalk, involuntarily, she breathed in the crisp morning air. The dawning sun was peeking over the tops of the buildings, casting a pink glow across the clouds. 

 

“Miss, you know if they’re serving breakfast yet?” 

 

Beth turned toward the voice, surprised to see a line of people forming outside the mission door.

She shook her head in response. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a police officer chatting with several people in the line. She didn’t want to draw attention, so she moved toward the other end of the building.

What if someone remembered her face? It was time to go!

 

She walked briskly away from the mission, keeping her face turned away from anyone passing by. She didn’t know where she would end up, but she had to leave Maize and the mission behind.

 

**********

 

Bert wanted to get to the mission before going to work. She was dressed and ready to go by 6 AM. Gulping down the last of her coffee, she grabbed her briefcase and purse, turned on the answering machine, and headed for the car. 

 

She hated driving the government car. Its presence in the neighborhood put everyone on edge, labeling her the bad guy. As she pulled to the curb, she could feel all the eyes giving her the once-over. When she reached the sidewalk, she could hear the murmurs, guessing why she would be there so early in the morning, assuming it wasn’t good. 

 

She approached the mission doorway, spotted the patrol officer and waved, before entering. 

 

Maize spotted Bert as she entered the mission. She shuffled across the room and waved for Bert to follow. Down the hallway, she unlocked the room marked Storage and allowed Bert to step inside. 

 

“Bert, I should have called you. She’s gone.”  Maize shook her head. “I knew she was frightened, but I figured she’d stick around for breakfast at least.”

 

“It’s okay, Maize.” Bert sat on one of the crates. “We can’t get to them all.”

 

“I gave her a cot right next to Bessie, someone to keep an eye on her. Around four this morning, I guess she was thrashing around and moaning. Bessie says the girl was frightened of someone, begging them to stop. She called out for Ethan to help her.”

 

Bert took out her notepad. “Can you give me a description at all?”

 

“Sure, we ate together, and I was watching her real close. I could tell the youngin’ was scared. She didn’t look like no crackhead, and I didn’t get any vibes like she’d been turnin’ tricks or anything. Ole Maize’s got a good eye for those folks.”

 

“What can you tell me, Maize?”

 

“She’s about five foot six; sandy blonde hair pulled back in a short ponytail near the nape of her neck. Sad blue eyes, fair complected. Wore blue jeans, a white blouse, and a dark gray hoodie.”

 

“That’s great, Maize.” Bert reached into her briefcase and pulled out a folder. Opening it, she showed a picture to Maize, “If you see this young gir-”

 

“That’s her, Bert. That’s the girl who was here last night.” Maize grabbed the picture from Bert. “I’d recognize her anywhere.”

 

Bert covered her face with her hands and exhaled deeply, “You’re sure?”

 

“I’m sure, Bert. Why? Is the girl in trouble?”

 

“She sure is, Maize. And I want to find her before Chief O’Shea does.” Bert slipped the picture back into the folder. “I doubt she’ll be back, but keep your eyes open, Maize.”

 

“I sure will, Bert. Sorry, she slipped out on me this morning.”

 

“I know.” She stood to leave, “Got a meeting with her best friend, Rachel, this morning. Maybe I can find out a little more about our girl.” Bert waved goodbye and returned to her car. 

 

“Beth, stay safe till I can catch up with you.” Bert made the sign of the cross, whispered, “Amen.” and pulled the car into traffic. 




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.