Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 15, 2021 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A helping hand reaches out -

A chapter in the book On the Edge of Deception

On the Edge of Deception Pg 13

by Begin Again


After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, but the father has a different story to tell.











 

When you are sad and the walls feel like they are closing around you, remember the only way to get out of the dark tunnel is to keep walking.

Beth could hear her mom’s voice swirling around inside her head. Is she telling me to go home or to keep going? She had no idea what to do.

 

“Mom, I need you.” Beth crouched on the ground between two buildings; desperation overwhelmed her. “I just wanted him to stop. And now … they want to put me … me in jail, not him.” She brushed away her tears with the back of her hand. “I hate him, but I didn’t do what he says I did. Mom, I don’t know what to do.”

 

With her forehead pressed against her tucked knees, exhaustion claimed her, and she fell into a fitful sleep. She uttered an agonizing moan, and her body jerked violently.

 

“Stop! Please stop. Don’t hit me again.” 

 

A thin, frail hand reached out and touched her. “Sweetie, can I help?”  

 

Beth flung her arms wildly in the air, gasping for air, “Please don’t! Please, don’t touch me.” She scooted backward, across the ground, terrified.

 

“I won’t hurt you. I promise.”  An older woman stood staring at her.

 

Beth’s frightened eyes studied the woman. She wore a heavy blue coat, a faded denim dress, and a colorful bandana covering her mousy gray hair. Her withered brown face spoke of difficult times, but her soft brown eyes and gentle smile eased Beth’s fears.

 

“I’m sorry.” Beth let her head drop down. “I was - it was a nightmare.” She brought her eyes back to meet the woman, “I didn’t hurt you, did I?”

 

“No, sweetie, Ole Maize has felt harder blows in her time. She’s got a tough hide.” Maize could tell the dirty young girl hadn’t known street life for very long. “You stayin’ around here?”

 

Beth shook her head. Tears glistened in her eyes. “I - I have a home.”

 

Maize studied the girl. There was something familiar about her, but she couldn’t put her finger on it.  “Sure you do, sweetie. Maize didn’t mean nothin’ by it.”

 

“I know. I - maybe I should go home.” 

 

Maize’s face softened when she smiled at Beth, “You look like you could use something to eat. I don’t know where you live, but walking there on a full stomach would probably feel better. Besides, Maize would like the company.”

 

“Oh, no, thank you. I wouldn’t want to impose.” The sidewalk was empty except for a few people standing outside a building across the street. Beth stood and glanced down the dimly lit street, checking for police cars or a beat cop.

 

“You’re safe with me. The locals all know me, and they won’t bother us. Come across the street and have something to eat. It’s not fancy, but it’s good and hot.”

 

‘Embarrassed, Beth stuttered, “I … I don’t … I don’t have any money.” She scuffed her shoe against the ground. 

 

Maize patted Beth’s arm. “It’s okay. The meals are free.” She hooked her arm around Beth’s, and they headed across the street.

 

The sign in the window read - WOMEN'S RESCUE MISSION - Religious services, free showers, cots, and hot meals. Several women gathered at the far end of the building, cigarettes bobbing up and down as they chattered among themselves.

 

The drop-in center consisted of two large adjoining rooms. The walls were bare except for a cross and two pictures of Jesus. At the opposite end, a big-screen television hung on the wall. Dilapidated couches and chairs filled the other room. In one corner, a woman and her children put a puzzle together at a card table. A ripped garbage bag with clothes hanging out and a child sleeping on it nestled against the wall nearby. In the other room, people sat quietly at long rows of tables and chairs, intent on eating their meal. Beth could smell food cooking in the nearby kitchen.

 

Beth cowered in the doorway. She feared the mission, but she feared the streets more. She lowered her head, afraid to look anyone in the eyes. 

 

Maize tugged on Beth’s arm, “Come on. No one’s going to hurt you. Let’s wash up a little, and then we can get you a hot meal.”  Maize flashed a smile, and Beth noticed she had several teeth missing. “Look like a pumpkin, don’t I?” Maize offered a hearty laugh.

 

Beth couldn’t help but chuckle. “I hadn’t noticed.” 

 

“Yeah, right.” Maize laughed, “It’s okay because Maize’s beauty is in here where it counts.” She patted her chest. “Now come on, girl, before they eat all the food.”

 

The aroma drifted past Beth’s nose, and she inhaled deeply. Her empty stomach growled. “I guess I am hungry. It smells so good.”

 

“Then hurry up, let’s get washed up and get some of that chow.” The two shuffled off to the restroom, arm in arm as if they’d known each other for years.

 

***********

 

The mission opened daily at 7 AM, but the street people started lining up at 5 AM. Beds were a premium and handed out on a first-come basis. Small cubicles on the second floor were assigned to women with children. The dining room converted into a bedroom at night; the single women were given cots placed two feet apart. Maize had claimed one of those cots, but tonight, she would surrender it to the exhausted young girl she had befriended. It wasn’t the first time, nor would it be the last. 

 

“I can’t take your bed, Maize. I can sleep on the floor or in a chair.” Beth protested when Maize told her to sleep on the cot. 

 

“No, child, I have another one over there. Don’t you worry about me. Just lay your sleepy head down and get some rest.” 

 

Exhausted, Beth couldn’t wait to lie down, but she didn’t want to take Maize’s bed either. “Are you sure? You have a place to sleep, right?”

 

“Don’t you worry. Maize will be just fine.” She pulled the thin army blanket over Beth and realized the young girl had fallen asleep. “Good night, sweetie.”

 

After walking up and down several aisles, stopping to chat with a few regulars, and checking on ones she didn’t know, Mazie left the dining room. She walked down a long, narrow hallway and stopped at the red door. The printed sign on the door read Storage Room Authorized Personnel Only. Maize pulled a key from her dress pocket and unlocked the door. Once inside, she shuffled across the room to a wooden desk. She turned on the desk lamp and lowered herself into the chair.

 

It had been a long day. She slipped off her shoes and rubbed her aching feet. She needed to change socks; her big toe was protruding from a large hole. She’d mended it several times, but it looked like it was past the point of repair.

 

Maize’s eyes were beginning to droop. She needed some rest too, but first, she had one more thing to do. She reached into the desk drawer and pulled out a cell phone. She opened it and dialed a number.

 

On the third ring, someone answered, “Hello.”

 

“I know it’s late, but I thought I’d better call.”

 

“What is it, Maize? Another young girl?”

 

“Yup, the poor little thing was exhausted. She’s real skittish, and I’m guessing she won’t hang around long.”

 

“Any idea on her story? Drugs? Streetwalker?”

 

“No, not this one. She might be a runaway, but she’s new at it if she is. Her face is familiar, but I haven’t figured out where I saw her yet.”

 

“Do you need me to come tonight?”

 

“Nah, she’s out for the count. First thing in the morning oughtta be good.”

 

“Save a blueberry muffin for me. Goodnight, Maize, and thanks for calling.”

 

“You know, I’m always here to help.” Maize sighed, “See you in the morning, Bert.”




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Jesse - A risky choice of friends for Tyson and bartender at Last Chance
Miguel - Jesse's partner in crime
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Virginia (Gigi) - caseworker and sidekick to Bert
Chief Pat O'Shea
Sergeant Triston Hall
Detective Ric Santiago
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Maize - homeless lady at the mission
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.