General Fiction posted April 14, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
What if you were where you didn't belong?

Canadian National Nightmare

by T B Botts


I was with my friend Dale, doing what twelve year old boys do when they're bored out of their minds. We were at the tracks placing rocks on the smooth rails. The smell of creosote assaulted my nostrils as the sun bore down on the wooden ties. I heard the whistle blow it's warning as the mammoth diesel-electric engine approached a crossing about a mile away. Seconds later I saw the lights as the train rounded the corner and rocketed towards our location. The ground was starting to shake beneath me and the horn was deafening. I couldn't move.



100 Word Flash Fiction writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story. 100 words exactly. Title not included in count.


I've always been fascinated by trains. I love the way the whistle sounds at night when Iay in bed. The power of the engines is hard to fathom and the incredible weight of a hundred car freight train can run into the hundreds of tons. Because of the laws of physics, an object in motion will remain in motion..ect, trains can take up to a mile to stop. It's never a good idea to challenge one. You won't win.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. T B Botts All rights reserved.
T B Botts has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.