General Fiction posted April 10, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What lay within my soul

My Very Soul

by PENofFIRE


How long had I been standing there peering into the bathroom mirror? I forced my mind away from my thoughts and began to look intently into my eyes. I had the sense of being hypnotized. I could feel myself walking right through the reflection of my eyes and entering into my very soul. I was appalled by what I saw.

I could see remnants of unforgiveness festering. Words that I carelessly tossed about were swirling around, causing havoc. Lies tried to hide for fear of being found out. Adultery and fornication slither about leaving a slimy trail. There was so much more. This soul was so crowded with evil, emitting such a putrid odor I found myself scurrying, like a rat, back through the reflection I had used to enter this God forsaken place.

When I awoke from my stupor, I found myself still standing before the mirror looking into my eyes which were now flooded with tears. I began crying out to God, "Surly this cannot be my soul. I have asked for forgiveness and I know you forgave me."

"So I did my child however, you accepted the free gift of salvation, but returned to your former ways. I allowed you to wander through your soul and see what I see in hopes that you would return to your first love, Jesus. I am once again knocking on the door to your heart; please let me in."

Without hesitation, I threw open the door, the prodigal had returned.



The Mirror writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 250 word story featuring a Mirror.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. PENofFIRE All rights reserved.
PENofFIRE has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.