Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 31, 2021 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When the Press Conference gets good -

A chapter in the book On the Edge of Deception

On the Edge of Deception - Rev 6

by Begin Again



Burying his face in his hands, Dwight appeared to be overwhelmed by the flashing cameras and reporters. He wiped his eyes, coughed, then faced the cameras with a sorrowful puppy-dog look. It was a perfect stage production for everyone’s benefit, and the television stations loved it.

Finally, he opened his mouth to speak, choking back sobs, “I… I want to be - beg my daugh- daughter to come home.” He dropped his chin to his chest. The nurse handed him a Kleenex. He wiped his eyes. Once again, he looked directly at the camera and gulped for air. “Beth, your moth - mother wouldn’t want - this. I - I forgive you.” Dwight lost control and began sobbing.

His nurse moved the wheelchair farther away from the podium, allowing an unidentified man to approach. Nathan Rotello was a cowgirl’s dream; tall, lean yet muscular, bronze sun-kissed skin and eyes of ocean blue. His white cowboy hat was whipping cream on a tempting piece of dessert. All eyes focused on the stranger. They were beyond curious about what he had to say or do with the situation.

“My name is Nathan Rotello, owner, operator, and CEO of Rotello Trucking. Unfortunately, one of my trucks was involved in a deadly crash six months ago. Through no fault of our company, Mrs. Culbertson was thrown from the driver’s seat of her vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene. This family has endured far too much pain, so on behalf of Dwight Culbertson and Rotello Trucking, I would like to offer a $5000 reward for information on Beth Culbertson’s whereabouts and bringing her to justice.”

Lights, camera, action - an arbitrary script, but the scene was a perfect wrap. Nathan Rotello’s name and his face would be the talk of the town by sundown. As he knelt next to the wheelchair and hugged Dwight Culbertson, Nancy smothered the squeal demanding to explode inside her. She could not have choreographed a better ending to the press conference if she tried. The best part was, Nathan Rotello had done it all by himself, with no suggestions from her.

Sergeant Hall stepped to the mic, thanked everyone, and said there would not be a question-and-answer period. As the moans and groans echoed behind her back, she walked away.

**********

“Wow, Bert, it sure looks like all the cards are stacked against your girl.” Gigi wrinkled her nose. “You sure you’re betting on the right horse? How well do you know her?”

“Well enough, Gigi. Besides, from the beginning, I haven’t trusted Culbertson. I believe there’s more to that accident, and Beth knows what it is.”

Ric joined the ladies, wrapping his arm around Gigi’s shoulder. “Now that’s a press conference. What’d you think, Bert?”

“She thinks you better get your arm off my shoulder. People will see!” Gigi lifted his arm and dropped it.

“Girl, it’s the twenty-first century.” Ric rolled his eyes and laughed at her.

“Exactly! That’s how all those sexual harassment cases get started.”

Bert shook her head, laughing. “You two are something else. As for the press conference, something’s not adding up. Can’t put my finger on it, but give me time, and I will.”

“Yeah, Hank and I were discussing the same thing.”

“Hank? Hank who?” Bert knew who she wanted it to be, but he was retired and enjoying the good life in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Hank Armato and his wife, Emmy, were two of the best detectives she had ever had the privilege to work alongside. She’d heard he’d helped solve his one-and-only cold case after retirement.

“Hank - Hank Armato. He brought me some of his old case files this morning. I told him I had this press conference to cover, and he asked if he could tag along. I was happy to spend some time with the old fart.”

“So, Hank is here?” Bert perused the thinning crowd. Like Nathan Rotello, Hank was another man you couldn’t overlook. “Are you kidding me, Ric? Cuz I don’t see him.”

“No, he was just here. He couldn’t have gone far.” Ric scanned the area and saw his friend coming from the Culbertson backyard. “There he is, Bert. On the hot trail of another clue.”

Hank joined them, giving Bert a big bear hug. “Man, I haven’t seen you in ages. I think it was that Pirelli case we worked on, wasn’t it?”

“Great memory for a retired, old man.” Bert’s eyes sparkled as she teased her friend.

“Retired? You are behind times, Bert. Ole Hank couldn’t take sitting on the beach, drinking Mai Tais with Emmy, so she started writing her memoirs, and he got his PI license.”

“You’re joking with me, right?” Bert couldn’t believe her good fortune.

“Nope. Of course, Emmy wasn’t too thrilled at first, but I promised to take it slow.” Hank laughed. “Not that I’ve got any other speed nowadays.”

“Private Investigator Hank Armato - impressive!” Suddenly remembering Gigi was standing there, Bert added, “Hank, this is my co-worker, Virginia Newman, better known as Gigi. And Gigi -”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Armato.” Gigi shook his hand, liking his firm grip and his sexy smile.

“My dad is Mr. Armato. Call me Hank.”

“Thanks, Hank. Ric and I are going to grab lunch over at Haley’s Diner. You two want to join us?”

“I want to hang around a little longer. What about you, Hank?” Bert hoped he would do a little snooping with her and get caught up on old times.

“Sure, why not. You, two lovebirds, take off. I’m sure Bert and I can get back home.”

The lovebirds waved goodbye and worked their way through the camera equipment toward Ric’s car.

“Hank, mind me asking if you found anything interesting in the backyard? The first time, here, and you got further than I ever have.”

“Just about everybody knows me. Once a detective, always a detective. Heck, I don’t know, but I didn’t bother to ask permission either. You know me, Bert. I just charge right in till someone screams stop.”

“You haven’t changed a bit, Hank. Guess that’s why you’re one of the best.” Bert patted his arm. She hadn’t realized how much she’d missed her old friend.

“Thought it was interesting there’s a pile of fresh dirt in the garden. Kind of early for plants.”

Bert felt her throat tighten. “Oh my God. Toby.” She shook her head back and forth several times. “No! No! It can’t be Beth’s dog. She told me her dad made her give him away.”

“This Culbertson is a real character. Best stage show production I’ve seen in a long while.”

“Glad someone else agrees with me. Those reporters couldn’t get enough pictures. Today’s press conference will be on every TV channel. And that Rotello guy, it wasn’t his driver’s fault, so why the guilt? Offering a reward for a teenage girl.”

“Did Beth have a boyfriend? A young man, college age, dressed nice, not like the neighborhood boys?”

“She never mentioned anyone. Why?” Bert’s curiosity was building by the minute. When Hank Armato puts his blood-hound nose to the ground, all kinds of things start to happen.

“It might be nothing, but this young man didn’t fit this community. He stood off to the side, by the tree over there, hands shoved into his jean pockets. I could tell he was getting worked up over the news conference, but by the time I worked my way around to him, he’d disappeared. Like I said, it could be nothing.”

“But it could be something, too, Hank.





 



Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Nancy Galgato- a bartender and Dwights behind the scenes girlfriend
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Roberta Atwell (Bert) - the caseworker assigned to the family
Virginia Newman (Gigi) - new on the job, Bert's coworker
Leroy - Nancy's cousin
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Ric Santiago - RPD Detective
Sergeant Triston Hall - female desk sergeant
Sheriff Trainor - Winnebago County Sheriff Department
Police Chief Pat O'Shea - Rockford Police Department
Nathan Rotello - owner and CEO of Rotello Trucking
Hank Armato - retired detective - active PI
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.