Western Fiction posted March 26, 2021 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Smythe makes it to the Ohio

A chapter in the book Wilderness Redemption Road

Take Me to the River

by Earl Corp




Background
Frontiersman Doo Carter along with some friends is leading an expedition into Ohio to build a trading post in Shawnee territory. Previous run-ins with the trading post owner and the Shawnee are about
Carter Holler, Kentucky
1860

Roseanna regained her throne, the rocking chair on the porch, surrounded by her grandbabies and three sons. She knew some of the next parts of the story might be a little much for the young’uns to understand, but she knew only one way to tell it.

‘Young’uns these days don’t know how good they got it,’ she thought.

“You young’uns understand these are different times I’m talking about, don’t you?”

“Whut do you mean, Granny?” Mary asked.

“Where we’re setting right now was all frontier. There weren’t no stores or butcher shops, and the woods was filled with wild Indians.”

“Whut about Zack Carter’s store?” Henry asked.

“It was miles away in Pittsburgh, we were going into territory where no white man, or woman, had ever been.”

“Wuz you the first white women in Ohio, Granny?” Caroline asked.

 
“I ain’t sure if I was first or not, but I was one of very few at the time,” Roseanna said. “Now listen up, Young’uns, this story is about to take a twist.”
****

Finnerty’s Ferry
North of Pittsburgh

Ezra Finnerty heard them coming before he saw Smythe’s caravan approaching.

 ‘A pack train of 50 mules sure ain’t stealthy,’ Finnerty thought.

As the caravan emerged from the forest Finnerty wasn’t sure what he was seeing.

Smythe led the motley band dressed in a white shirt, crimson pants and knee length riding boots. He had chosen a black beret to top off the outfit.

He might be stylish in the city, but the Shawnees ain’t gonna be impressed with this dandy,’ Finnerty thought.

Howdy folks, are you looking to ferry across the river?” Finnerty asked.

“Yes we are,” Smythe said.

“This is quite the caravan, how many critters are you folks taking across?”

“We have 50 mules,” Smythe replied. “How much is this going to set me back?

Finnerty screwed his face up in thought. ‘Let’s see here, a dime a mule times 50 is what? Aw Hell, I wuz never good at my sums.’

“Ten dollars.”

“And how did you arrive upon that sum?” Smythe queried.

“Mister it’s gonna take me five trips to get everybody across and that’s gonna take almost all day, my time is worth at least $10 a day.”

Smythe started to sputter.

“That’s highway robbery!”

“No sir, it’s not, if’n you think it’s too much ya’ll can swim across.”

This stopped Smythe in his tracks. Anger shrouded his face as he narrowed his eyes and bared his teeth making him take on the look of a vicious rat.

“Are you threating me, my friend?” he snarled.

“Not at all, you don’t pay I don’t ferry, that’s a fact no threat involved,” Finnerty replied.

Just as Finnerty finished speaking Roseanna McCallister approached the pair. Finnerty gave her a quick glance and then did a double take.

‘Lordy, that’s a woman, and a good lookin’ one at that,” he thought.

“What’s going on Godfrey? Are we going to be here long,” she asked.

“Mr. Finnerty and I were just discussing the fare I’ll have to pay, my dear,” Smythe explained. “Finnerty this is Roseanna McCallister.

“Pleased to meet you Ma’am, would you be kin to Angus McCallister?”

“He’s my father.”

“I served with him at the Battle of Blue Licks in the War for Independence. He’s a good man,” Finnerty said proudly.

“I’ll remember you to him the next time I see him, but that might be quite a while from now,” Roseanna said.

‘You don’t know how right you are, My Dear,’ Smythe thought.

“Finnerty how soon can you start ferrying us across?” Smythe asked.

“Just as soon as you pay me and load up.”

Evil thoughts raced through Smythe’s mind as he produced his sack of gold and started counting out dollar coins.

 
‘This cretin doesn’t realize how fortunate he is there are so many witnesses present.’

“Flanders!” Smythe yelled.

Amos Flanders immediately scuttled up to Smythe.

“Yes, Your Highness.”

Smythe overlooked the sarcasm.

“Have the men start lining up to board the ferry, I want to be across the river before nightfall.”

“Your wish is my command, Your Highness.”

‘You just can’t find good help these days,’ Smythe thought wistfully.
****
Opposite bank across the Ohio River
“Hey, Hoss, I think Smythe has arrived at Finnerty’s,” Clancy nudged a snoozing Doo.

Doo let loose a mighty yawn as he stretched both arms before tucking them behind his head.

“Why’d you wake me for that?”

“You don’t want our employer thinkin’ we’re no good layabouts, do ya’?”

“Thunderation! I don’t give a hang what Godfrey Smythe thinks, we only have to put up with him until Raccoon Creek,” Doo replied.

“You don’t plan on visitin’ Miss McCallister once the tradin’ post is built?”

Doo’s face started to redden at the mention of Roseanna’s name. This fact didn’t escape Clancy’s, Mighty Beaver’s, or Janie’s attention.

Janie giggled and Doo turned redder. Without thinking, Janie decided to tease Doo.

“Doo loves Roseanna, Doo loves Roseanna,” Janie said in a singsong voice.

This brought Doo to his feet, he snatched up his rifle and possibles bag then stomped off into the forest.

“Doo loooves Roooseana, Dooo loooves Rooooseaaaanaaa,” Janie sang after him.

 
Clancy and Mighty Beaver were laughing so hard they had tears coming from their eyes.
****
Shawnee Town near Raccoon Creek

Are you sure you saw the brown haired one? Swooping Eagle asked.

Yes, he and three others crossed three days ago,Stalking Wolf replied.

What about the traders, did you see them at the white man’s crossing?”

“No,” Methoataske pointed at Stalking Wolf and said, “He thought you might be more interested in knowing your brother’s killer was back in our lands.”

“That is not why I sent you to the river, you were to watch for the whites who want to build a trading post.”

Swooping Eagle’s temper flashed and he glared at Stalking Wolf. Stalking Wolf became uncomfortable and broke eye contact with Swooping Eagle.

You will not accompany us when we go meet the traders,” Swooping Eagle told Stalking Wolf

Swooping Eagle turned to Methoataske and said, “I want you to go to the half-breed McGraw and tell him I wish to see him after the evening meal.

 Methoataske turned to go, before he had taken a few steps Swooping Eagle called after him, “Tell McGraw to give you a rifle, powder horn, and lead.”

The words stung Stalking Wolf, but he didn’t let it show. He had dreamed of a new rifle and all the enemies he would slay with it. ‘I made my decision and will have to live with the consequences,’ he thought.
 
Stalking Wolf turned to leave, Swooping Eagle stopped him.

“Where are you going, I am not finished speaking to you.”

Stalking Wolf turned to face Swooping Eagle. The young man knew he had lost face, but he didn’t know if he would take much more of Swooping Eagle’s harassment.

After all isn’t he the one that lost his whole party chasing this one man?’ Stalking Wolf thought the words to himself, but didn’t think he’d have the nerve to say them, unless he lost his temper.

Swooping Eagle surprised Stalking Wolf with what he had to say.

“Stalking Wolf, I appreciate you thinking of me, but I gave you a task and you did not do it, I have no idea if the traders are near or not.”

Stalking Wolf not trusting himself to speak, nodded in agreement.

What Swooping Eagle said next left Stalking Wolf in shock.

“I promised you a rifle, I keep my word, go see McGraw.”

Stalking Wolf’s heart leaped with joy, he gave a whoop and turned to run after Methoataske.
Wise Owl stepped to Swooping Eagle’s side.

“That was a generous move, especially after he disobeyed you, My Friend.”
Swooping Eagle shrugged.

He reminds of me when I was younger. I probably would have done the same.”
“Yes,  you would have.”




*Dialogue italics is in Shawnee
*Those wondering about the references to Our Grandmother, the Shawnees believed in a female deity they called Our Grandmother. Anna found this out while reading the chapter for me.
*Ha-ho is a traditional greeting between the Shawnees
* Possibles bag-- Satchel trappers used to carry needed items such as flint and steel, bullets, and jerky.
* Before anybody digs into the spelling and grammar this is written in frontier vernacular. Enjoy!
Cast of Characters
Doolittle Carter-Extremely blessed and lucky frontiersman
Roseanna Carter-- Narrator
Janie Wolfe-Heroine, wise beyond her years, intuitive, follows her instincts
Mighty Beaver- Delaware Warrior, funny sense of humor
Ezra Finnerty- Ferryman across the Ohio River
Jack Finnerty- Ezra's son
Godfrey Smythe- Ferret faced cad
Swooping Eagle- Hot-headed Shawnee warrior
Stalking Wolf- Shawnee lookout
Methoataske- Other Shawnee lookout, name means Turtle Laying Eggs
Wise Owl- Shawnee warrior, friend of Swooping Eagle
Running Deer- Swooping Eagles's father
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.