Romance Fiction posted March 21, 2021 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Katherine is asked to coach girls' cross country?

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 13 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys need?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After the boxes were loaded, Gabriel and Joshua went inside. Gabriel nodded for Joshua to get the magazine.

Katherine walked into the room. While Joshua was upstairs, she said, "I can tell something's up. What is it?"

Gabriel's eyes met hers. "It's a guy thing. I hope you trust me enough to believe I've handled it."

Inhaling a deep breath, she released it. "Okay." She turned toward the kitchen. "We're having left overs. Want to stay for dinner? There's more than enough."

"I don't think so. Lately, I've eaten here more than I've eaten at home. The neighbors might talk."

"At least let me make a plate. Please?"

"That'll be fine."

While Katherine fixed his dinner, Joshua brought down the magazine. Gabriel shoved it inside a sports-bag. "I'll destroy it at my place."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 part 1 day 11

As predawn lit the Eastern sky, Katherine opened the front door and stood on the porch. Daisy waited beside her as she began stretching. "I wonder if we're being watched. Of course we are." Smiling she added, "Here comes our running partners."

Daisy wagged her tail.

"I see you have a crush on Reggie."

As Gabriel and Reggie came closer, Katherine said, "I think Daisy has a thing for Reggie."

"Good, I think this guy has a thing for that pretty lady."

The dogs turned and growled.

Gabriel faced that direction. "I guess our friend's here too."

"Shouldn't we do something?"

"No. Paul and I checked the school cameras. We can prove I park my truck early in the morning and then begin my run. It's time stamped, so we can prove, that's where I started. I'm sure it's well documented I'm not spending my nights here."

"I hope so." Before Katherine set her watch, she said, "I doubt Mr. Frost can afford a P.I. I'm wondering how he's paying for it."

"I'm betting somebody, for some reason is encouraging him, but I have no clue who or why. How about you?"

"Me either. I lead a very boring life. I don't know why anybody would be interested in me." After a pause, Katherine said, "Let's get started."

As they began, Gabriel asked, "Have you decided if you're accepting the coaching job?"

"Not sure. I have no idea how to coach. I've never had any training."

"Right here, beside you is the best coach who ever walked the Earth," teased Gabriel.

"What could possibly go wrong?" She laughed.

"Honestly, all of us are here to help. We have your back. I doubt many girls will sign up the first year. It'll be a rebuilding year."

"I'm thinking about it. I'll let Mr. Edwards know when I get to school. Deal?"

He grinned. "Deal."

*****
After Katherine arrived at school, she stopped by the office and dropped off Gabriel's order and asked to speak with Mr. Edwards.

As she waited for the principal, Gabriel came in and picked up the coffees and breakfast. "You didn't need to do this. Our agreement was only till school started."

"I wasn't sure if you'd have time to stop and get it. I stop anyway. It's easy to get additional coffees."

"Since you put it that way..." He hesitated. "I'll run by the coffee shop later today and put money in my account. I don't want you paying for it. It'll get expensive."

"But..."

He started to hand back the coffees. "It's the only way I'll accept these."

"You're used to getting your way, aren't you?"

"It's a hazard of being an only child. We
agree?"

Mr. Edwards walked from his office, said hi to Gabriel and then asked, "Mrs. Riley, were you waiting for me?"

"Yes, Sir." She walked toward his office but stopped. "You get your way for now, but don't get used to it. By the way, you're incorrigible." She continued into the office.

Gabriel sipped his coffee. "Nancy, what's going on?"

Her eyes widened. "I'm shocked there's something going on in this building you don't know about. But to be honest, I don't know either. Mrs. Riley brought in your coffee and asked to speak with Mr. Edwards."

Nodding, Gabriel said, "I wonder if she's accepting the coaching job." He took a seat. "I think I'll wait. I'd like to know the answer."

Before she came out, one of the other secretaries called, "Coach, you're needed in the locker room."

He glanced at Mr. Edwards' door. "I guess I'll find out later." He left.

*****
The bell rang at exactly 8:35, and Katherine welcomed her homeroom class. As morning announcements began, Mr. Green hurried into the room. "Mrs. Riley, you're needed in the office. I'll cover your class. It shouldn't take long."

Katherine rushed to the office as Mr. Edwards covered the telephone. "You need to make the announcement about the girls' cross country team."

"What?" He handed her a paper and the phone. She read, "Good Morning, Silver Cove Bears. This is Mrs. Riley. I'll be coaching girls' cross country. I know it's late, but here's the information. Tomorrow, I'll need the names of interested girls. Please drop by my room, 103. We need a minimum of ten to have a team. If we have enough for a team, Wednesday evening, Coach Hudson will take the number of interested girls to the school board meeting. Other girls can still join. Thursday evening starting at 5:00 free physicals will be given at school. You can use your own doctor if you prefer, but you cannot begin practice without a physical. Also a signed permission slip will need to be turned in before the physical. You can get the permission slips by dropping by my classroom, room 103, or the office. I'm sure Coach Hudson will have permission slips. If ten or more girls sign up, the first practice will be Monday after school at 4:00. Come to the girls' locker room ready to run. Thank you."

Katherine handed the phone to Mr. Edwards. "Just a minute, Mrs. Riley. Students, she has one more announcement. Mrs. Riley, please tell the students about your math vocabulary word of the day and the free homework pass."

After Katherine explained the rules for the math word, she handed the telephone back to Mr. Edwards. "Can I get to class?"

He nodded. "You did great." He handed her a stack of permission slips. "You're going to need these."

At the office door, Gabriel opened it. "I heard you accepted the coaching job." He glanced at her hand. "Where'd you get permission slips?" He grinned. "Since you said I'd also have them, I'd better make sure I have some. It'll be nice working with you."

Katherine glanced toward her room. "Mr. Green's watching my class. I need to hurry."

"Catch up with you later." He watched her walk away. "You did a good job over the intercom."

She continued toward her classroom.






CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.



Recognized

#16
March
2021


Thank you google images for the photo of a girls' cross country meet. I also want to thank everybody for the wonderful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1000 words. Thank you for having patience with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.