Humor Fiction posted March 19, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
double trouble

No! You, too?

by pome lover

Two women sit at a deserted bar Contest Winner 


 








June looked up from her gin and tonic as an attractive, probably early forty-ish blonde walked into the bar.  All the barstools were empty but the woman sat two over from her, hooked her purse under the counter and said, “Bartender, I’d like a Scotch and water, please. On second thought, make it a double.”

“Comin’ up.”

“Thanks.”

She looks like I feel, June thought. She nodded and said.  “Hi, how ya’ doin’?”

“Wait a sec ‘til I get my drink, and I’ll tell you.  Ahhhhhh. Thanks… Hi, yourself. My name’s May and I’m here to drown my anger.”

June snorts, getting gin up her nose and has a coughing fit.

May looks at her, amused. “I don’t usually affect people that way. You okay?”

 June wipes her eyes. “Sorry about that. I’m June, and I’m, sigh, here for the same reason.”

May chuckles. “May and June. What are the odds? My husband’s appropriate name is Dick. Your husband’s name wouldn’t be Harry, would it?”

June’s eyes widened and she almost choked again. “You’re serious? We sound like a comedy sketch.”

The bartender, replacing clean glasses and watching them in the mirror behind the bar, grinned and shook his head.

“Well, June, I don’t know about you, but I’m beginning to feel better already. Still angry at Dick, but better.”

June moves over to the stool next to May. “You know what? I’m beginning to, too.  She catches the bartender’s eye in the mirror and raises her empty glass.  She looks at May. “You feel up to hearing my disgusting story?”

“Sure. Why not?”

June waits to get her fresh gin and tonic and takes a swallow. “Well… it seems my devoted husband has a new friend named Sally, and he…”

May snorts and chokes on her drink.

The bartender chuckles.

“I don’t believe it,” May said, wiping her eyes. My husband’s… bimbo’s name is Jane! Dick and Jane, for Pete’s sake.”

June adds, “And I’ve got Harry meets Sally.”

The two females laugh, then look at each other with mutual understanding.

The door to the bar opens and three men come in, laughing and slapping the one in the lead on the back.

June says, “Let’s move to a booth over there so we can…”

“Let’s,” says May. “I feel a real friendship coming on.”
 
 



Writing Prompt
Write a story using the premise two woman sit at an otherwise deserted bar. They share a secret. They strike up a friendship.

Two women sit at a deserted bar
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.