General Flash Fiction posted March 13, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When your imagination goes wild

Footsteps in the Dark

by Begin Again















"Going out for a run, Dad."

"It's going to storm, Casey."

"Not for hours." She shrugged on her sweater and waved.

Twenty minutes later, she realized she'd been wrong. Lightning cracked the sky. Pelting rain stung her face. She struggled against the wind. Garbage cans rolled in the street, jarring her nerves.

She chose a shortcut through the park. The tall oaks blocked the glow from the street lights. Limbs twisted and groaned, casting shadows across her path. Her imagination shifted into high gear, but she pressed on.

Did a scream rip through the darkness? Terrified, Casey stumbled, unknowingly dropping her phone. Scrambling to her feet, she raced away.

She couldn't breathe. Her sides ached. Someone was running after her. She had nowhere to hide.

Distracted by the police sirens, she didn't hear his footsteps. A hooded figure grabbed her arm.

She screamed, "Heeeelp!"

"Here call 911. It's your phone."



Flash Fiction contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.