Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted March 1, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
You can't add pigs and goats!

Pig Plus Goat

by T.E. Loper


High school freshmen know it all—except algebra.

Knobby was an old troll with a knot on his head. We made horrible fun of him. The first day, he walked in, wrote "A+B=?", then pointed at the question mark. We said "C."

"You can't add pigs and goats!"

We blinked.

It took two classes for everyone to get it. I didn't appreciate what a great teacher he was. He ignored our knobby taunts; we learned algebra, never knowing the man.

He was a WWII vet. The knot was shrapnel. The Purple Heart was draped on his photo by the coffin.


 



100 Word Flash Fiction contest entry


High school kids can be monsters.

A+B=A+B. You can't add pigs and goats. Let A equal 1 Pig and B equal 1 Goat; then A+B = 1 Pig and 1 Goat. A(1 Pig) + A(1 Pig) = 2A(2 Pigs). Welcome to algebra.

In the photo, note that the goat has "C" on its head: definitely NOT equal to a pig and a goat!

(I counted the algebraic formula and WWII as one "word" each.)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. T.E. Loper All rights reserved.
T.E. Loper has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.