Biographical Non-Fiction posted February 23, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Road Not Taken ... Thank Goodness!

Relieved in Retrospect

by Elizabeth Emerald

I had a dream. 

For those who read my last two "dream" posts, no need to roll your eyes or bail out; this dream is a metaphorical one: I always wanted to be a teacher.

When I was in first grade, I wanted to become a first-grade teacher.

When I was in second grade, I wanted to become a second-grade teacher.

Etc. Etc. Etc. (Until I got to junior high school; no way did I want to teach those brats.)

Flash-forward to graduate school (and faster-forward to graduating from the miserable place). The upshot is, in 1978, I earned (?) a master's degree in education.

Lowercase above intentional; my diploma proved to be worth its weight in document paper stock: I couldn't even garner a job interview. 

Not that I tried very hard; the number of jobs I applied for could be counted on the fingers of one thumb.


I'd loathed my bait-and-switch student-teaching experience. The fifth-grade class to which I'd been assigned was structured as per junior high school; the kids were every bit as bratty as they'd been in my day. (Karma's a bitch.)

Nonetheless, ten months later, having recovered from The Year of Living Dangerously (credit due the film thus titled), I regretted not having pursued my chosen career.

By then, I'd transitioned into what turned out to be a 23-year career as a computer programmer. I found my work (and the pay-rate) rewarding, yet "the longing for my calling" persisted, albeit faintly.

When I took (involuntary) early-early retirement (having been down-and-out-sized in 2004), I took the requisite courses and exams to have my expired certification reinstated.

This go-round I tried valiantly to get a job. I was caught in a catch-22; i.e., only 22-year-olds got hired. I'd be called for interviews, only to be informed five minutes into it that they were "looking for an experienced teacher." (Translation: We're only going through the motions so that we can't be nailed for age discrimination.)

Yesterday, I read a superb post by Rdfrdmom2, titled Students Are Returning, which details her district's protocol for implementing the transition from virtual learning to soon-to-be re-opened classrooms. 

While contemplating the tortuous/torturous task of navigating education during the Reign of Corona, I was flooded with gratitude that my dream did not come true. 



 




Corona Bird on a Wire by RachelYoung on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.