Biographical Non-Fiction posted February 23, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Not what you think

Testing, 1, 2, 3...

by Rdfrdmom2


On January 25, 2021, I sat in the hallway of our local hospital waiting to have my first COVID-19 test as the last step in my medical clearance for cataract surgery. I was very relieved to be able to have that first surgery on January 28th, meaning my test had produced a negative result.

Due to the rigorous eye drop schedule, I chose to work from home until I no longer needed to use antibiotic drops. Not only that, I chose to stay home to prevent any chance of infection as I remembered my father getting a nasty infection in one of his eyes after cataract surgery and did not care to repeat history.

I had my second COVID-19 test at the same local hospital on February 12, 2021. This time, I was told to go straight home and quarantine until I had my surgery on the morning of February 15th. Anxious to have similar vision in both eyes once more, I had no problem complying with that directive.

On February 16th, I had a follow-up appointment with my surgeon. I had a bit of a cough when I got up which was not all that unusual due to chronic sinus issues. My appointment went well and my friend drove me straight home. I continued to work from home while my husband kept me on schedule with drops in both eyes now -- of course, at all hours of the day and night.

On February 18th, my husband became really dizzy while administering my eye drops. I would love to say he was overcome by my beauty, but at age 69, and at midnight, I would only be lying -- or hallucinating -- to believe that. After righting himself, he almost passed out while trying to turn off the overhead light while allowing the ceiling fan to continue to run. I immediately got up and helped him back to bed.

On February 19th, Aubrey was very clammy, pale, had a cough, and was fatigued. This is a man who typically gets up between 4:30 -- 5:30 every morning sans alarm clock and is ready to go. Instead, he spent most of the day in bed. I was beginning to get concerned.

On February 20th, Aubrey spent almost sixteen hours in bed -- unheard of in our 47.5 years of marriage. His temperature reached 101* and he had no appetite. I knew it was time to look for somewhere for him to have his first COVID-19 test. After checking a few places, I settled on a local emergency care that could take him the next morning at 9:00 a.m. He was not overly excited about the idea so I told him I would also sign up for testing again.

By the morning of February 21st, I had a low-grade fever of 99.3*, headache, fatigue, reduced appetite, and a cough. Aubrey and I went in for our testing. A doctor came in to check our hearts and lungs as we waited for our test results. I was certain that Aubrey's test was going to be positive but had convinced myself that mine would be negative. Not so. We both tested positive.

The good news is that our symptoms have not escalated. We both still have our sense of smell and taste. We are well enough to take care of each other in the midst of this. Our daughter lives next door and was able to buy our groceries and leave them on our bench by the back door so we did not have to expose her. And, the health department let us know today that we are immune to COVID-19 for 90 days from our first day of symptoms. With any kind of luck, we will be able to get our vaccines before that time is up.

This time, the third time's the charm, for me, was not a good thing!



Recognized


Don't assume that just because you have tested negative for COVID-19 once - or, as in my case, within a week, means you will not test positive if you start showing symptoms. If in doubt, get tested. Aubrey and I have been ultra-careful during the pandemic and still got sick. Be safe out there. A special thanks to seshadri_sreenivasan for the use of 'In the Hands of Man-Covid-19' to enhance this piece.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.