General Fiction posted February 14, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
ghost story

willow pond cottage

by judester

George watched the funeral procession weave slowly through the cemetery. The foliaged trees seemed to mock the somber moment. From the window of his library, George could see the willow trees and beyond, the bell tower of the wooden chapel.
The stone cottage for the groundkeeper was quaint and cozy. Years ago it was his father who landscaped the grounds, now it was just George staying there. Since that fateful day.
The day that George had drowned in the willow pond.
He shivered to recall his own death.

He looked down and saw a strange dog creeping through his garden. Sniffing around the bushes, he seemed to be looking for someone. The dog's head perked up and he headed towards the pond.
George ran downstairs and followed him. On the marble bench a young girl sat weeping.

Oh Jack, my Jack, you're here with me, she cried into her dog's furry neck.
Then her sad eyes looked up to George.

My name is Addie and I'm confused.
Am I dead? Am I a ghost? Are you a ghost? Oh dear.

She glanced back at the people gathered around the gravesite, then gasped to realize that the funeral was indeed hers.
He knew that this group mourning were her family and friends.

The white coffin was draped in pink and red roses.




They're coming, Addie called down to Georgie as the familiar black cars cruised slowly down the tree lined road.
He placed her tea cup on the table and opened the window. T
hey waved happily down to a young boy and Jack the dog playing in the garden. 
Seth had joined them last year after an unfortunate house fire.

Look at that gorgeous arrangement dear and so many people. Oh my, she must have been loved.




 



Ghost Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a Ghost Story. No limit on the word count. No poetry.


Thanks to hchriste for the artwork. a little ghost story..
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.