Letters and Diary Fiction posted February 10, 2021 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Easter

A chapter in the book Memories of This World

Memories of this World ch. 4

by estory

It is an Easter Sunday. We've already found the Easter baskets of chocolate bunnies, wrapped chocolate eggs and jelly beans, that my mother always packed carefully with shredded, green, plastic grass, hidden behind the couches and chairs of the living room. The thrill of discovery, coupled with the warm sense of her desire to make us happy and pass along a tradition from our grandmother, livens up our breakfast. The special breakfast of scrambled eggs completes the uplifted mood. After breakfast, we dress in our new Easter outfits; my sisters in their new dresses and hats, me in my new suit, and head for church.

The morning sunshine of spring brightens the stained glass windows of Our Savior Lutheran Church as the congregation sings: "I know that my Redeemer lives; what comfort this sweet sentence gives!" In the window nearest our pew I see Christ robed in white, standing outside the tomb. The altar is draped in white cloth, the sanctuary is filled with Easter lilies, tulips, daffodils and hyacinths. They seem to have sprung up for just this reason; to suggest that no grave can hold this life we have been given. Nothing is greater than our God.

I think of my grandfather in his garden, planting those flowers in his garden. I think of my grandmother and the ham dinner she is making. I can't imagine the world without them.

After the service we walk out into the fresh air and brilliant sunshine. Everyone is admiring each other's new suits and dresses, telling of the Easter baskets we've gotten. The dogwoods lining the block are a blaze of white above our heads. Ahead of us lie the drive to my aunt's house, a baseball game with my cousins in the empty lot next to their house, an Abbott and Costello movie, the smells of coffee and pound cake in the dining room.

At that moment, it seems as if the world will go on forever.





In this chapter I wanted to capture this sense of Easter and spring from my childhood through a retelling of our Easter traditions. To me, Easter seemed like a bright, sunny day, full of the smell of those lilies and hyacinths, the uplifting story of the resurrection and the promise of life overcoming death through love. The Easter service in that old church, with its altar covered in those flowers, the uplifting tone of the triumphant hymns, the girls and guys in their crisp, new clothes, the magic of the Easter baskets with their treasures of chocolate and jelly beans, all seemed to speak of the wonder of being alive. The hope of my grandparents living forever somehow. The hopeful mood of that time and the ever widening prospects of the future before us. And that moment of family dinners, Abbott and Costello movies and crude baseball games in empty lots that we seem to carry with us for the rest of our lives. It is a moment of innocence, but also a moment of hope and power. I hope it conjures up your own Easter memories as we approach spring this year. estory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. estory All rights reserved.
estory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.